Deadwood

HBO (ended 2006)

Deadwood Fan Reviews (84)

• "Don't I yearn for the days when a draw across the throat made f#@king resolution" -Al Swearengen

This show is still an all time favorite of mine. It was a front runner (along with Sapranos) in the now common run of popular television, shows where the characters are excessively flawed, cruel, realistic. Characters that you love to hate/hate to love.

Initially I thought Al Swearengen (Ian McShane) made the show but I was quickly drawn in to the unique Shakespearean dialogue, the to-the-point exchanges flourished with expletives and gritty violence.

Like the earlier reviewer, I was initially bothered by the double casting of Garret Dillahunt, however I eventually accepted it because the two characters were drastically different and he's not a bad actor.

And, I'll admit, the show was not without it's lulls in pacing, progressively becoming more noticeable in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. But this does little to detract from the sheer entertainment value, especially in comparison to other popular television.

I guess my only real qualm with the series is the abrupt cancellation. Which would turn out to be yet a front runner of another sort, shows that I even remotely become interested in getting yanked, with no warning whatsoev...