Deadwood

True Colors

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 25, 2006 on HBO

• "I just wanted to protect you." "Well YOU can't." Oh, plus homo-erotic hijinx. Awesome!

This is one dandy of an episode, in many different ways. Langrishe and Aunt Lou are excellent additions; Jack and Al's relationship is a great one, real chemistry there and a new side to Al, whilst Lou brings a new side to Hearst.

Now, on The Boy The Earth Speaks To, as he says, he almost assaults the Sheriff and almost rapes the next richest person in town, a day after removing the finger of his biggest rival. Hearst is breaking under the pressure of working without Walcott, so promptly goes to "reformed" Cy Tolliver, who is slimier than ever, because now he has faith on his side. He's no Smith or Cramed, that's for sure.

Aunt Lou lets us see Hearst as the Boy (Ellsworth mocks him rather well on that point), because that's all he is really; a violent, moody boy with a feel for the colour. But some children are so strong-willed as to inspire fear and obeisance, and such is Hearst.

Sol continues to find Trixie intractable but responds with confused smiles, whilst the Doc is getting a touch of the hollow eyes. Life in camp is cranking up, and the Swearengen/Bullock (with Wu on the side) alliance is on the back foot, despite Hearst's missteps. But things change so very quickly in Deadwood.

Excellent!
  • New characters and interesting developments

I\'m agreeing with everyone else in the fact that this was a great episode. I was pleasantly suprised to see Brian Cox (Stryker from X2) enter the cast as Swearengen\'s old theatrical friend. I think some great stuff is going to develop having that relationship in the show.

We\'re also seeing just the kind of person that Hearst really is; and I sincerely can\'t wait until he gets the beating of a life time, hopefully from Swearengen or Bullock. This episode also marks the real entrance of Hearst\'s maid from back home, which I also think is a great character, and the fact that the old cook follows her around like a lap dog is hilarious.

Another note is the running for offices. The short and poorly written speeches were given, and we\'re finally gonna see who\'s officially voted in to the positions (if nothing muddy happens along the way that is)
  • „Now is when he’s killing people…”

This episode brings a lot of new changes to Deadwood, but we’ve already become accustomed with that over the last few installments. However, this time we are introduced to a whole set of new characters and at the same time we get reacquainted with an old one.

The episode opens with a stagecoach ushering in new players to the tempestuous camp. Among them is Mr Wu, whose absence we all felt in the first two episodes, John Langrishe (played by Brian Cox) and his theater company and also an old acquaintance of Hearst himself, a woman, who as it turns out, is not Wu’s new wife :).

This episode finally allows the camp to take a breath, as at least for a short time the tension seems to be wearing off. And while not as breathtaking as the first two, this episode makes up for that in its vast content. Considering how many characters appear in the episode the crew did a great job sewing all their plot threads together, as none of the stories seemed rushed or out of place and it is all incredibly captivating; so absorbing it was, that i was actually surprised to see it end after what i thought had been half an hour. Suffice to say that the new cast fits in perfectly, late as the hour may be for major changes, Brian Cox in particular playing, as always, phenomenal.

As for the events portrayed in the episode, we finally got to see Alma’s naivity almost getting her „what she deserved” for not listening to Ellsworth, who is far more versed in all affairs of life than her, a thing she’d do well to understand and heed in the future. Seth Bullock has started patrolling the streets as the anxiety grows in him ever more and Al decided it’s time to ponder things quietly… at least until his hand heals. However, in my opinion, despite all that is going on now, the most important information the episode has to offer might be in regard to Doc Cochran, who has apparently fallen sick… a truly upsetting, but also intriguing choice the writers made. Dedicating himself entirely to healing others and not comitting himself to moral conundrums as to the right and wrong of things, has earned him a lot of respect in the camp, even if not always expressed directly and liberally by some characters such as Al. Ironically though, the question that rises is who, in turn, will take care of him now?

Also, I found the meeting with Wu to be very sentimental, especially Al’s warm and sincere „welcome home”, which Wu understood perfectly. The alliance, or better yet friendship between the two, is as pleasant to watch as ever before, if not more so. In fact everything in the new season is as good as „the old times”, or better, and when seen from the level imposed by Deadwood, that’s saying something…
  • Odd Episode

Alma is off her rocker, Bullock is getting Bullocky and Al is acting like a scared little school girl.
    I like to see the Alma / Elsworth face off because he is her husband in those days, he has domination over his wife both legally and commonly but yet she defied his domination and saw Hearst on her own. Hearst got all hot and horndoggy and wanted to rape her after hearing the rumors from E. B. about her promiscuity. Bullock is about to burst in and bring the hammer down hard on murderous Hearst and his band of thugs. Al is biding his time and looking for an in-road to take revenge on Hearst but still I don't like seeing a timid Al. Send a couple of boys over there, clean house and feed Hearst's body to Wu's pigs.
  • So far, this season has been gold. Shiny gold. Fried gold, even. Can it possibly continue?

Yes. Without a doubt.

This episode is easily one of the best in the entire series. Maybe even the best. That's a hard call, really, seeing there's yet to be any real duds. But anyway, onto the episode itself.

The two new characters are great - the cook is very funny. With all this dark stuff going on, it's nice to have a character that's happy and carefree. Sure, there's the much-loved Richardson, but he's not exactly... loud.

Al's old friend is great. The dialogue between them is just amazing. He's funny and very likeable. Camp as hell, though. :)

The plot just rolls forward in this episode. We see Wu return and Hearst have little chats with Cy and Alma. He's one nasty guy, that's for sure. Shows Cy up for the weak, snivelling rat he is.

Could Al's line at the end hint at things to come?