Death Note Forums

Nippon Television Network Corporation (ended 2007)

Did Misa die?

CrystalCoconut

[1]May 11, 2009
    • level: 11

Did Misa ever die in the show?

She halfed her LIFE twice

And she is like 25?

She must a huge life spam.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AxStarr

[2]May 11, 2009
    • level: 15
    Not over the course of the series, no. She died after the events of the series according to Volume 13, but not sure if that's canon

ShagonsHeart

[3]May 12, 2009
    • level: 4
    That's the thing, the author said she "probably" committed suicide after Matsuda "Might have" let it slip that Light was dead. I find that very unsatisfying. She was one of the major characters, her death/fate should have at least been mentioned. Sounds like he didn't give it much thought. But since it's all "might have" I'd say its open for interpretation.

AxStarr

[4]May 13, 2009
    Indeed. Personally, I accept the suicide explanation because her devotion to Light was...quite obsessive, and that might be putting it lightly....

qweasdzse

[5]May 15, 2009
    • level: 10

Volume 13 profiles are running with it as canon.

So yes.

AxStarr

[6]May 15, 2009
    But Volume 13 isn't definitely official. We'll have to confirm it's standing before accepting it's 'facts'

qweasdzse

[7]May 15, 2009

AxStarr wrote:
    But Volume 13 isn't definitely official. We'll have to confirm it's standing before accepting it's 'facts'

It is described on the back as the authoritive volume on everything you need to know about Death Note.

Sounds pretty canon.

AxStarr

[8]May 15, 2009
    Does it? Not to Me because what is not described is if it was done by the Tsugumi Ohba and/or Takeshi Obata. I have a 'secrets revealed' book on Death Note that boasts the same thing, one that is definitely non-canon. Does that make it canon now? That it sells itself?
    Edited on 05/15/2009 5:59pm

windseeker15

[9]May 16, 2009
    • level: 9
    Doesn't suprise me she'd committ suicide.

But I don't think the "life in half twice" applies, since Rem died for messing with her timeline.

Brodoin15

[10]May 17, 2009
    • level: 20

Doesn't surprise me. How obsessed she was. She should've made a plan B.

Quick question: Since two shinigami died for Misa, and if I remember right it means she get's both their remaining years of life, and halved it twice, would it mean that she was meant to commit suicide? Or was it just for how long into old life she could go into, and she cut it?

If the second is correct, I wonder how long Misa would live into old age. Even if it was halved twice, it is probably still a very long time.

AxStarr

[11]May 17, 2009
    I personally believe that it was the second one, as it makes more sense IMO since she received the lifespans of two Shinigami. But I know what you mean regarding that question, I've thought along those lines Myself and find it an interesting area of wonder

Ls_silence

[12]May 18, 2009
    • level: 14
    well that is a perplexing question. but it never says how long the shinigami that died for her had left to go anyways. Gelus was staring at Misa for a long time and might have even forgotten to right down any names to save himself, same with Rem, so maybe the combined total of half of half of Gelus's life and Rem's life add up to when she might die. i think that she dies because she looked like she was going to kill herself when she is seen in the end.

AxStarr

[13]May 19, 2009
    True. But also, killing humans for a Shinigami would be something like eating for a Human. It's needed to live and there are times when one gets so entranced by whatever it is that they are doing that they forget even to eat sometimes. However, it's usually not to the point where their lives are in danger (unless it's done intentionally such as someone with a phobia of gaining weight, but that's another story). In My view, Gelus had enough life stored up and that he could continue watching Misa. Rem I simply cannot imagine letting her lifespan getting that low. Actually, the only one I can imagine that for is the one it happened to; that foolish Shinigami, Sidoh
    Edited on 05/19/2009 12:46pm

talonmalon333

[14]May 19, 2009
    • level: 27
    I checked in the back of volume 13 and it says it has the same auther.

Ls_silence, we don't think Misa died because of that scene in the anime. We think so because it is mentioned in volume 13.

AxStarr

[15]May 19, 2009
    I've seen that debated, but indeed on the Misa part

ShagonsHeart

[16]May 22, 2009
    • level: 4

AxStarr wrote:
    True. But also, killing humans for a Shinigami would be something like eating for a Human. It's needed to live and there are times when one gets so entranced by whatever it is that they are doing that they forget even to eat sometimes. However, it's usually not to the point where their lives are in danger (unless it's done intentionally such as someone with a phobia of gaining weight, but that's another story). In My view, Gelus had enough life stored up and that he could continue watching Misa. Rem I simply cannot imagine letting her lifespan getting that low. Actually, the only one I can imagine that for is the one it happened to; that foolish Shinigami, Sidoh

Let's not forget Misa had Rem write down the name of a criminal while she was trying to trick the CEO that she another death note. So Rem wrote down at least one name before her death.

AxStarr

[17]May 23, 2009
    True. Rem also wrote L's and Watari's name as well, now that I think about it. Watari's might not have been much, but L's remaining lifespan might've been a nice chunk. He was only about twenty-five years old

StewieZim101

[18]May 27, 2009
    • level: 16
    IF WE ACCEPT 13 AS CANON, and we realize the Misa would've had a huge life span (hell, Gelus AND Rem sacrificed themselves), we can assume she was killed by a death note.

qweasdzse

[19]May 30, 2009

StewieZim101 wrote:
    IF WE ACCEPT 13 AS CANON, and we realize the Misa would've had a huge life span (hell, Gelus AND Rem sacrificed themselves), we can assume she was killed by a death note.

No, just no.

We can very safely extrapolate that the Death Note flamboyantly defies fate in more ways than the eye trade or the odd premature death. Just look at C-Kira, unless you want to argue that Midora was so stupid that she was surprised when the nearly dead man didn't offer her years of entertainment.

It is abundantly clear that Misa was affected by the Ryuk's use of a Death note and had her life span shortened.

This probably rapes the eye trade rule, but that isn't the only poorly thought out plothole that has spawned from this stupid world building contrivance.

Edited on 05/30/2009 9:58pm

nin6_8

[20]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 7
    StewieZim101 wrote:

But, how long is a Shinigami's average life span? On that note, Gelus killed a man who was going to commit suicide with Misa, thus the life span he gave was very little. Also note that Rem killed a very old man and L. Also, Misa's life span was halved twice. You assume that Gelus and Rem had an insane life span left, which may not be the case.

Let us also note the idea that the Death Note can affect life spans, thus, by the Death Note killing Light, perhaps this lowered her life span? The point is, that is a HUGE leap of faith when there are many other possible explanations.