Death Note Forums

Nippon Television Network Corporation (ended 2007)

Question about Light's Lifespan (spoilers)

Canadaindy

[1]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 1

Hi,

I can't remember which episode, but I know it was one of the firsts where Light was introduced and offered to have the Shinigami's eyes. I am wondering the date that was shown above Light's head was the same date as the day he died? Was that a hint to his death? The thing was that I never paid attention to the date and to be honest, I wasn't even sure it was in English or not.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rainvainz

[2]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 17
    They are just numbers. Ryuk would have to convert them to human years to find out. So, no it wasn't the date we saw.

lstinwonderland

[3]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 22
    The numbers that appear above his head, or any person's head for that matter are a system in which only Shinigami can read. It was not a date, just a set of numbers and his name. I don't think it was the exact date.

lstinwonderland

[4]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 22
    Gosh, Light got to it first .

Rainvainz

[5]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 17
    Misa was ready to back me up though. Good job!

SuperRockManX

[6]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 6

Actually, according to Obata, he did some complicated math equation with Light's death date to make it the numbers Ryuk saw.

Thing is, he forgot how to do the equation.

StewieZim101

[7]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 16
    BUt can't he at least remember how many years were left?

Ls_silence

[8]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    the numbers above Lights head really did mean the day he died on. it was a complex equation that TO made for it.

Ls_silence

[10]Jul 5, 2008
    its really an equation, but only for Light, everyone else's is made up.

Ls_silence

[12]Jul 5, 2008
    it would have been fun

armaniacx23

[13]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 4
    It woulda been awesome if he had made it a simpler equation that smart viewers could decipher. That way anyone willing to go the extra mile would know the date of his death early. ^^

In 2 hours I'll watch the last episode. Woohoo! =D

Declow

[14]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 3
    From Wikipedia:

(93312639)

Canadaindy wrote:

Hi,

I can't remember which episode, but I know it was one of the firsts where Light was introduced and offered to have the Shinigami's eyes. I am wondering the date that was shown above Light's head was the same date as the day he died? Was that a hint to his death?

Rule 75: "The use of the Death Note in the human world sometimes affects other human's lives or shortens their original life-span, even though their names are not actually written in the Death Note itself. In these cases, no matter the cause, the god of death sees only the original life-span and no the shortened life-span."

It can be assumed that, if he never owned a Death Note, Light's life would have ended differently; chances are good he would've lived a lot longer.

EnjoiVolcom

[15]Jul 6, 2008

Well, this probably won't make a difference, especially since one of you said that Light's equation was different from everyone elses, but supposedly, the equation was that you take the number above the human's head and divide it by 3556. Then, you divide that number with 356. After that, you get the number of years they have left in human time. 3556 was said to be equivalent to one shinigami day, and 356 is obviously one year in the human world (not counting leap years, of course). So, if you divide 93312639 (Light's lifespan at 17) by 3556, you get approximately 26240. If you divide 26240 by 356, you get approximately 73. It's only off by a day. So, what I can conclude here, is that Light was supposed to remain alive until he was exactly, not approximately, 80 years and 71 days old. But if you have something to say, if I did something wrong, or if it doesn't make sense, you should tell me. And I've tried this before with other peoples lifespans. Even if it might not be right, it's still fun to do.

tvssecondchild

[16]Jul 6, 2008

EnjoiVolcom wrote:

Well, this probably won't make a difference, especially since one of you said that Light's equation was different from everyone elses, but supposedly, the equation was that you take the number above the human's head and divide it by 3556. Then, you divide that number with 356. After that, you get the number of years they have left in human time. 3556 was said to be equivalent to one shinigami day, and 356 is obviously one year in the human world (not counting leap years, of course). So, if you divide 93312639 (Light's lifespan at 17) by 3556, you get approximately 26240. If you divide 26240 by 356, you get approximately 73. It's only off by a day. So, what I can conclude here, is that Light was supposed to remain alive until he was exactly, not approximately, 80 years and 71 days old. But if you have something to say, if I did something wrong, or if it doesn't make sense, you should tell me. And I've tried this before with other peoples lifespans. Even if it might not be right, it's still fun to do.

Your math knowledge is supreme...

I know that Light
    ***SPOILER***

could that be factored in as well? I know it's slightly off-topic, but I think it relates enough.

ssj27gohan

[17]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 11

Guys, Light's lifespan is different than what we see in the show in the beginning. A predetermined lifespan brings up the problem of pre-destination and free will, but that isn't even what I'm going to say as there isn't really any definitive proof either way. (E.G. What if you choose to kill yourself? Was it fated that you would and already accounted for in your lifespan? Did you REALLY choose? Or is a death note the only way to change it?)

Aaaaaanyway, these two rules show that Light's lifespan would have changed:

By manipulating the death of a human that has influence over another human's life, that human's original lifespan can sometimes be lengthened.

A human death caused by the Death Note will indirectly lengthen some other human's original length of life even without a specific intention to lengthen a particular person's original lifespan in the human world.

It IS possible that this was Light's final lifespan, but given the events that happened in the show the likelihood of the lifespan we saw actually being his final lifespan is astronomically low.

EnjoiVolcom wrote:

Well you would actually divide by 365 and get approximately 71.89. Aside from that little quip, the one thing I don't get is how if he was supposed to have 73 years according to you how that means he was supposed to live until he was 80 years and 71 days. I always assumed the lifespan wasn't time left but just time (hence it being a span of time as opposed to some kind of counter) so I would think that he would live to 71.89 years according to me or 73 according to you. If you were adding the 73 to how old he was at the time it would certainly not be 80 years as he wasn't 7 when he got the death note. Can you please explain?

Edited on 07/06/2008 9:31pm

EnjoiVolcom

[18]Jul 6, 2008

Well, I made a numerical mistake when I made that post. I meant he was supposed to be 90, not 80, when he should've died. Which means my mathematical skills aren't all that superior Besides, I made that when I was sleepy. And all it takes is dividing and estimating, which I'm sure a 4th grader can accomplish . Anyways, yes, it can be factored as well. There's one shot with Misa and her...more minuscule lifespan, but it's kind of complicated to see clearly. (or maybe I'm just blind?). By the way, Light never gotten his lifespan cut shorter.

EnjoiVolcom

[19]Jul 6, 2008
    Well, yes, I know that Light didn't obtain the Death Note at the age of 7, that was a little mistake I made. Anyways, as long as we don't make a paradox of arguments with no conclusion and only statemnets, opinions, and questions, I'd like to say that whenever I try this equation, I always get two different numbers. 71.89 and 73. The first time I tried, I got 71.89, but after I attempted with calculators and my own mind, I obtained those two numbers, and I was always confused. But, seeing how someone actually tried this and got 71.89, I honestly believe that you are correct about this (And when I typed the message, I only attempted this once). But I think you're a little wrong about one thing, though. I believe that the time above their head is more like a timer. The only proof I have is when Rem saw Misa, Rem immediately noticed Misa's lifespan above her was cut even shorter. And when they went into the future by five years, almost everyone's lifespans were around 40,000,000 instead of 80 or 90 million from the past, but I can't say that for sure, so don't take much notice to this part. And yes, I do believe that those rules have affected Light's lifespan, but at the time they showed his lifespan, it was very early in the series before he really became a zealous kira, not that he wasn't already into the whole idea at the time, of course. One thing that I can't say I would know is changing your own destiny, like commiting suicide, to show up on your lifespan. It's just like you said, there's no definite proof. But my thoughts are that if you don't commit suicide, you would obviously live longer, or in Death Note's case, you would live for as much time is left above your head. So I think that commiting suicide is like cutting your own life shorter. But that should've been figured out earlier, even if you can write suicide in the Death Note while succeeding. But I'm talking about just anyone in the Death Note world who commits suicide without the cause of the Death Note. Their lives would have most likely been longer. I've caused some of my own confusion, so I'm going to stop now. I probably didn't answer all of you questions, but I'm getting sleepy, so I probably won't either ways. Not that I wouldn't, but y'know.

qweasdzse

[20]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 10

Sorry Enjoi but I have to shoot down your theory.

If we were to use Near's lifespan and insert it into your equation we would get f(43406)=(43406/3556)/365.

43406/3556 is basically 44/4 (note that I rounded UP) which is equal to 11. 11/365 means that near had a remaining lifespan of 11 days according to you, which is completely impossible given that Near is alive in the epilogue which takes place exactly one year from the time we see his lifespan.

Also I'd like to point out that Light's death by the notebook had no bearing on his lifespan, plus the fact that his lifespan is constantly fluctuating, not to mention that he possibly gained the full lifespans of both L and Watari.