Death Note Forums

Nippon Television Network Corporation (ended 2007)

Similar to Code Geass

gotpho

[1]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 4
    Anyone find this similar to Code Geass? I was watching Code after Death Note and I notice the striking similarties.

The main characters are students
    Before they were both given power, they didn't care for the world
    They both to want to make the world a better place even if it means killing others(including kin)
    They have a somewhat of a benefactor that follows them
    They're both weak(moot), incredibly smart and stragetic
    They're both exposed to public with fakes names

Ya, I know Anime can be similar but I just found this strange and point it out. Code Geass is however Mecha and the main character is kinda IMO more normal than L but yeah. You guys should check it out if you Like Mecha.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jussanothergurl

[2]Jan 1, 2007
    yeah i guess the circumstances are pretty similar, its a pretty good show, code geass.. altho i like death note far better

death note has a completely different mood and style though

ensatsu-ken

[3]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 19
    Hmmm....perhaps I should look into Code Geass then.

gotpho

[4]Jan 1, 2007
    jussanothergurl wrote:
    yeah i guess the circumstances are pretty similar, its a pretty good show, code geass.. altho i like death note far better

death note has a completely different mood and style though

Yeah the animation is very different. I like the main character in Code Geass because he's so corny with his speeches even though he's acting so serious

Leu-kun

[5]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 6
    I'm traying to get Code Geass but it doesnt budge... arrggg, really seem like understimated anime at the start, but is something bigger

DarkmanEXE

[6]Feb 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    Well, right now Code Geass is FAR from underestimated, with its insane popularity and all.

And I agree that Code Geass has a different tone compared to Death Note. Death Note has more of a dark gothic-horror feel, while Code Geass is usually more wild/upbeat. It's getting darker and more dramatic with each episode, though. Personally, I like both Death Note and Code Geass equally. Death Note because of its level of intelligence, and Code Geass because of its wide and unique appeal.
    Edited on 02/08/2007 3:04pm

ensatsu-ken

[7]Feb 8, 2007
    • level: 19
    I saw the very first ep. of Code Geass in my anime club. It wasn't bad (although it was pretty confusing for me; most likely because "some" people were talking so loud to each other during the showing, that I couldn't concentrate on the video; I mean honestly, why bother staying in the room during the video if your only going to talk, and not watch ). Anyways, as I've said, my first impression of this show is that its decent, however nothing in it has really caught my interest(s) in the way that Death Note has. But, perhaps I'll watch more of it later . Maybe it will get better (since some anime, including some of my favorites, don't really get to their good parts, until after the first few eps. of it ). One other thing I must say, is that I don't see how Code Geass is simillar to Death Note at all ? Does it get simillar later on, because as far as the first ep. goes, I've seen no simillarities as of yet .

DarkmanEXE

[8]Feb 8, 2007
    It becomes more similar to Death Note later on, especially at around the halfway mark.  It still shows a clear distinction though, so it doesn't feel like you're watching the same thing twice.

Keivz_basic

[9]Aug 19, 2009
    • level: 1
    I'm resurrecting an old post here but I had to comment because I just started watching Code Geass and I had the same feelings as the original poster. I'm on episode 6 presently but by episode 2 it became very clear that Code Geass is a Death Note derivative. I always finish what I start so I'll watch it through to the end but so far I can't see why this show was ever as popular as it was especially since it's clearly copying Death Note.

We_Wear_theMask

[10]Sep 2, 2009

The main characters are students
    I think that makes the character easier to relate to, since most of the people who watch the show are in highschool or college.

I think LeLouch said he was going to take over the world before he obtained Geass. Geass just made it much easier for him.

They're both exposed to public with fakes names
    Light didn't really come up with his name... The Public did.

I think the Graphic Novel "V for Vendetta" had a much greater infuence then anything else.

KingofIPirates

[11]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 32
    We_Wear_theMask wrote:
    Actually Lelouch did. He always disliked the way the Japanese people were being treated; though before he got his power had no true motivation to act on it.
    We_Wear_theMask wrote:
    I think LeLouch said he was going to take over the world before he obtained Geass. Geass just made it much easier for him.
    No, Lelouch's always wanted to create a safe haven for his sister Nunally while seeking revenge for his mother's apparent murder but before Geass had no means to act on it.
    Edited on 09/02/2009 12:43pm

We_Wear_theMask

[12]Sep 2, 2009

KingofIPirates wrote:
    We_Wear_theMask wrote:
    Actually Lelouch did. He always disliked the way the Japanese people were being treated; though before he got his power had no true motivation to act on it.
    We_Wear_theMask wrote:
    No, Lelouch's always wanted to create a safe haven for his sister Nunally while seeking revenge for his mother's apparent murder but before Geass had no means to act on it.
    First-That's really cool how you spilt my post up... I need to learn to do that.

Also I didn't say the first part... That was the creator of the topic who said "Before they were both given power, they didn't care for the world." I stated that Lelouch did want to change the world BEFORE he got Geass.

On a Side note he said he had a plan to bring down his father before he obtained geass but Geass decreased the time needed to put his plan into action.

jwgrlrrajn

[13]Jul 10, 2011
    • level: 23
    We_Wear_theMask wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:
    We_Wear_theMask wrote:
    We_Wear_theMask wrote:
    First-That's really cool how you spilt my post up... I need to learn to do that.

Also I didn't say the first part... That was the creator of the topic who said "Before they were both given power, they didn't care for the world." I stated that Lelouch did want to change the world BEFORE he got Geass.

On a Side note he said he had a plan to bring down his father before he obtained geass but Geass decreased the time needed to put his plan into action.

I think "they didn't care for the world" can be taken as: "They did not like the current state of the world."