Defiance Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

Backstory

NuclearSunset

[1]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 2

So, I'm enjoying the show, but I've been constantly wondering, "Who are these Aliens?" "Why are they here?" "Why has the planet been terraformed?" "Why are there multiple alien species?" etc etc... I found the backstory on wikipedia, but it SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE SHOW... The show has thrown out little scraps of info here and there - Aliens are here, there was a war, there was terraforming, there was a group called the 'defiant few' or somethin like that... and thats pretty much it...Watching the pilot episode feels like I somehow missed episode 0...the show is decent, nothing extraordinary, feels like a throwback to the days of ST:Voyager as far as writing and feel of the show. Its funny, as most television continues to mature and evolve sci-fi just keeps makin shows that feel like there were don in the 90's...well I guess I shouldn't say most televlision.... when I first saw commercials for Mike and Molly and Two Broke Girls I thought it seemed like an SNL skit makin fun of crappy low-brow sitcoms..... but I digress.......................... what was I saying? oh nvm...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 101
    That's how most science-fiction shows work. They didn't tell you what Vulcans and Andorians and Tellarites are and how the Prime Directive works, and the history of Starfleet and how the Enterprise ended up cruising through space, in the first ten episodes of Original Trek.

CappinHoff

[3]Jul 6, 2013
    • level: 5
    NuclearSunset wrote:

So, I'm enjoying the show, but I've been constantly wondering, "Who are these Aliens?" "Why are they here?" "Why has the planet been terraformed?" "Why are there multiple alien species?" etc etc... I found the backstory on wikipedia, but it SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE SHOW... The show has thrown out little scraps of info here and there - Aliens are here, there was a war, there was terraforming, there was a group called the 'defiant few' or somethin like that... and thats pretty much it...Watching the pilot episode feels like I somehow missed episode 0...the show is decent, nothing extraordinary, feels like a throwback to the days of ST:Voyager as far as writing and feel of the show. Its funny, as most television continues to mature and evolve sci-fi just keeps makin shows that feel like there were don in the 90's...well I guess I shouldn't say most televlision.... when I first saw commercials for Mike and Molly and Two Broke Girls I thought it seemed like an SNL skit makin fun of crappy low-brow sitcoms..... but I digress.......................... what was I saying? oh nvm...

I actually like the fact they didn't include the back story of things. Give's it more future episode possibilities. Too many shows put back story info early in series and end up having nothing to offer later on.

MrShotShot

[4]Jul 12, 2013
    • level: 15
    There's a pretty thorough backstory on the Wikipedia entry for Defiance. There's also a very detailed related entry on all of the various alien races. I'm assuming it was probably written by the show writers.

danielcureton

[5]Jul 28, 2014
    • level: 1

It's frustrating and compelling at the same time that there is so little information already out about the back story of the characters and cultures. That's how Sci-fi usually works, making people wait and getting them tied into a story line or series slowly, over time instead of doing a Hollywood spin and slamming all the excitement and information in one blaze of a season. The problem is that these days I think too many have become accustomed to this and so get bored easily with slower shows that build up and make you come back to get that little bit of information on the next episode or season.