Defiance Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on SyfyIn Season

Reused music from Battlestar Galactica

Daxid1

[1]Apr 15, 2013
    • level: 1

During the first 14 minutes video, there was a brief moment where I heard some music in the background that made me thing of BSG. I'm not sure what it was, but then at the very end (as Nolan is walkin in towards Defiance) the music used sounded EXTREMELY familiar. Now, I know that Bear McCrary did the music for both shows, but it sounded more like something I'd heard before, not just something similar from the same artist. Anyone else notice that?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Defiantfall

[2]Apr 18, 2013
    Well Bear McCreary is the composer for Defiance. I love the theme to be honest, McCreary make the whole sci-fi drama feel to it. Brings back the good BSG Memories hehe

KateTheAwesome

[3]Apr 28, 2013
    • level: 3
    I think it's just you.
    I know the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack by heart. Seriously. Backwards xD
    And yes there are heavy simmilarities with McCreary being the composer of both soundtracks but none of the BSG songs were reused for Defiance

ngreen

[4]May 1, 2013
    It's not just Daxid. I hear it too.

And more than it's-the-same-composer similarity too.

I'm rewatching BSG and Caprica episodes to pluck out some examples.

jamesvalentin1

[5]May 2, 2013

To Daxid1. Yes, I know what you mean, and I noticed the same familiarity to the music of Defiance in relation to Battlestar Galactica. I believe that music you described maybe the exact music in BSG episode Daybreak part 2 (3). Especially in the scene between Starbuck, and Apollo. As Starbuck is saying goodbye to Apollo you can hear music playing in the background that sounds exactly like that heard in defiance. I hope this will help you out.

haldrey

[6]May 4, 2013
    • level: 22
    Hey, they are using music, props, situations and makeup (even the Terraforma things is a re-fried) from every Sy Fy show that I remember but if that keeps the cost down and the show on I do not mind. So far the show is pretty good.

danielcureton

[7]Jul 28, 2014

I haven't spotted any music from BSG, but I definitely think sinc BM did it that they style is very close. Which I love his syntho/industrial/orchestral style. Great music. Even the Defiance game too (although crappy) has really fantastic music to it BM did. Honestly this wouldn't be the first time something has been reused between shows. It happens all the time with costumes and sets.