Defying Gravity Forums

ABC (ended 2009)

The show is not cancelled at all.

heppe1235

[1]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 2

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/09/19/abc-still-intends-to-finish-defying-gravitys-run-eventually/

ABC still intends to finish Defying Gravity's run ... eventually

Posted Sep 19th 2009 9:00AM by Jason Hughes
    Filed under: Other Sci-Fi/Supernatural Shows, Programming, Cancellations, Reality-Free

I thought Defying Gravity was over. Kona wasn't sure, but had little hope. The internet ran with it and there were unsubstantiated reports that ABC would never air the final five episodes. It was frustrating because it ended just before the big reveal as to what the "beta" entity was. So it looked like it would be another chapter in the long list of television shows that ended on a maddening cliffhanger.

I don't know what those episodes have in store, or if they provide better closure than what we have now, but ABC felt it was important enough to curb the rumors by putting out a statement that they fully intend to air those last Defying Gravity episodes. They just aren't sure when.

DG was too sci-fi for the audience they were hoping for with the "Grey's Anatomy in space" tag. There wasn't enough sci-fi for the hardcore science fiction base. At least those of us who toughed it out might get some closure.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

InvasionFanbOy

[2]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 8

its been cancelled, there are a few episodes left. they was gonna air them anyway, it is just a postponement of the cliffhang ending episode with no real ending. we have seen this happen before, now they are gonna release a dvd soon, so you think there is a season 2 in the making. when it is cancelled it is cancelled, they are now planning a new sci-fi tv show. they suck you in then they are gonna cancel that one to, then release a dvd, its just how they earn money these days.

Edited on 12/20/2009 9:55am

timothy1776

[3]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    I'm glad to hear they going to air the remaining episodes but why does ABC cancels good shows. They did the same thing with the show "October Road" Just because shows do not get the high reviews right from the start they go and cancel it. This is why I don't watch Tv shows any more until they're in the 3rd season. Thanks to the people at hulu.com. Because of them, now if I should find a good show in its 3rd or 4th season, I can just go and watch the older episodes there and get caught up. The only hope is that the Syfi Channel may see the potential of this show and pick it up.

VinLieger

[4]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 10

People in the UK got to see the final four episodes on BBC2 . Episodes 10 and 11 aired on saturday back to back and 12 and 13 just finished up tonight back to back. Have to say the last 2 were imo probably the best yet. Great finish and even if it didnt finish up all the storylines due to it being canceled it did enough to feel happy with it as an ending.

Although im still gonna hold out hope, however naive it may be, that it gets picked up again.

swifty_red

[5]Dec 22, 2009
    Gutted!! I have just finished watching the 13th episode on BBC2. Thought I would come on line to see when the 2nd series began as nothing was said on the TV at the end of the show.. I am mortified to discover the show was axed. Why is everything always about big ratings.. Why couldn't ABC just be happy producing a good show. I hope it is re-instated but I am not holding out.. Does anyone know if the storyline will be released for those of us who wanted to know what happened next?

VinLieger

[6]Dec 22, 2009
    • level: 10

swifty_red wrote:
    Gutted!! I have just finished watching the 13th episode on BBC2. Thought I would come on line to see when the 2nd series began as nothing was said on the TV at the end of the show.. I am mortified to discover the show was axed. Why is everything always about big ratings.. Why couldn't ABC just be happy producing a good show. I hope it is re-instated but I am not holding out.. Does anyone know if the storyline will be released for those of us who wanted to know what happened next?

Some one else posted it in another thread cant find it atm, but it looks like it would have been pretty good

HMVincent

[7]Dec 22, 2009
    • level: 7

VinLieger wrote:
    Some one else posted it in another thread cant find it atm, but it looks like it would have been pretty good

See this thread: James Parriott's vision for season 2 revealed Spoilers.....

AllenChan0

[8]Dec 23, 2009

swifty_red wrote:
    Why couldn't ABC just be happy producing a good show.

The problem is, ABC never intended for Defying Gravity to succeed. They agreed to air the show last minute to fill in airtime during the summer, gave it no advertising and low expectations. So when the ratings reflected their lack of effort to sell the show, their executives went 'meh' and cancelled it when there were enough fall shows to take it's place.

johnathonmerrit

[9]Dec 29, 2009
    This is TV now. I quit watching actually TV around the Firefly time and just download new show I think may be interesting now. The fact of the matter is TV stations would rather air worthless garbage of reality shows with people lining up to do it for free instead of paying writers and actors. Defying Gravity is one of the best shows I have seen. It's a Sci-Fi weird tangled love story, but it's done well. I live in the US, but I have already seen the last episodes on BBC2. That right, hear that ABC, US TV stations have made me so mad the last few years, I either download my shows or watch other countries TV channels. I am hoping SyFy picks it up and continues it, but they have been making just as poor decisions and I doubt they will air anything else that doesn't directly copy Battlestar Galactica.

CoffeeCake225

[10]Feb 3, 2010
    • level: 15
    the show wouldve done so much better on something like syfy i hope it gets picked up

zxe45

[11]May 17, 2010

I have to agree, i watched all 13 eps and thought i was done well, OK, certain technical things like time lag on comms to and from earth does not work, but the premise of the show was very good. Like most of us, it was another show that got a following and then was stopped. Perhaps, like supernatural, they could have 5 seasons of 2 boys with no powers fighting the same thing every week...go figure

Lawrencevanrijn

[12]Mar 1, 2011
    • level: 11

This is one of the best SF series released this last decade. To see it end with one season is..... the wordpathetic comes to mind.

Season 1 is just the warming up. DG could become a legend, remembered for decades (if the writers can pick the right speed for the deep space challenges. I would have thought this to be a 3-4 season complete story. Feels wrong to see it scrapped, so i hope 2012 will bring us more DG.

nan008

[13]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 16
    I just watch 13 episode on Polish Fox Native HD channel and I cannot belive they axed the show. It was great, it was better then Bones and CSIs put together but as with Firefly the ABC and FOX made poor decision again, shame on you US TV people. It could have been epic but you decided to kill it. I don't thing there is any hope of SyFy picking it up now Lawrencevanrijn. I wrote to the FOX native channel asking them why they even bother to broadcast the DG in Poland knowing there is no hope to see further episode.

PatrickHearne

[14]Mar 27, 2011

Lawrencevanrijn wrote:

This is one of the best SF series released this last decade. To see it end with one season is..... the wordpathetic comes to mind.

Season 1 is just the warming up. DG could become a legend, remembered for decades (if the writers can pick the right speed for the deep space challenges. I would have thought this to be a 3-4 season complete story. Feels wrong to see it scrapped, so i hope 2012 will bring us more DG.

Those were my thoughts as well. I think it was tragically mis-advertised , but one of the best shows I have ever seen. I hope the airing of the last several episodes comes with a different ad campaign and reshowing of the entire season to give it another chance.

MatthewDarse

[15]Sep 10, 2011
    Facebook Page to get Petition Going to get the Show Back on...we will not go silently. Please join the effort.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-Defying-Gravity-Put-Back-On/269496969736630

MatthewDarse

[16]Sep 10, 2011

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-Defying-Gravity-Put-Back-On/269496969736630

Please Join to get the show back on. Petition starts here.