Degrassi High

Little White Lies

Aired Monday 8:30 PM Dec 19, 1989 on CBC

• Diana sneaks out to Melanie's party.

"Little White Lies" is an excellent Degrassi High episdoe. I love how this episode was about Diana trying not to only fit in but trying to be a teenager in her generation. I can't believe her brother was so old-fashioned. I love how Diana was a nerd who was rebellious. I love how she smoked and I love how she sneaks out to Melanie's party. I couldn't believe her brother showed up at the party. I love the end of the episode when she and her brother made a deal about giving her more independence. The subplot was entertaining with Joey, Snake, and Wheels attending a strip show. I love how Snake and Wheels get in but it's so awkward for them. I love how this older woman tries to seduce Joey, and he gets scared and runs away. I give this episode a 9/10.

• Diana wants to change her image of being a top student to attract bad-boy Yick. They are caught smoking and she gets in trouble with her brother. The Zits' video gets on TV and Joey wants to celebrate by going to a strip club.

Here we see Diana's home life; her older brother has taken upon himself to raise Diana after their father died 12 years ago; making Diana only 3 at the time. And I don't know how old he was; he appears to be in his 20s. So he would've had to give up having a life; and probably has some issues with her having one as well. Hey; Alexa is Greek too and we never hear of her having to go to Greek school; just her parents not liking her dating non-Greek Simon. There is also a lead-in to this from last episode when the "have-nots" are talking about how the purpose is to get out. She says "I'll never get out; I'm not allowed to have a boyfriend". Which is probably because George hasn't allowed himself to have a girlfriend. Back to culture differences, and how Diana tries to rebel against it. It's common to do that through a book. Oh, I wonder about them not going to Melanie's party; if Yick was holding a grudge against Melanie for the way she betrayed him 2 seasons ago. The part with the Zits is kinda funny. Of course they don't show the real show. And that was before picture ID was required, so they could go with the fake stuff. And really funny how both Joey and Wheels and Snake lie about their experiences.