Degrassi Junior High

Black & White

Aired Sunday 5:00 PM Feb 20, 1989 on CBC

7.6
  • BLT faces racism at school and with Michelle's parents.

In this powerful episode, BLT is discriminated against after he bumps into someone in the hallway and they call him a "nigger" which really offends him and he gets into a fight. While everyone in school is shocked to see this happen at Degrassi, we see that the other characters are just a racist even thoguh not as much as the guy in the beginning. Alexa blurts out that BLT must be a great dancer cause he's black and the other girls are shocked to hear the comment as if in a regular high school no one would be shocked at all but this is Degrassi. Anyway BLT likes Michelle and she likes him back and so he asks her to the dance, then when she brings BLT home and Michelle's parents come in they look like their daughter is standing in front of a serial killer or something even though they don't say anything BLT senses it too and leaves. Michelle confused then wonders if her parents are racist which leads her to conclude that they're just looking out for her, which basically states that they are and they wouldn't let a black person come into contact with her daughter. I just have a few comments and questions for the episode:

- Why doesn't Michelle just stand up to her parents or just go to the dance with BLT without them knowing (which is what she eventually does)

- You should be warned the episode has some language that may offend some people, but nonetheless it was powerful and nessesary for them to use it in this episode.

- Another thing on BLT, he seems to be affected by someone calling him the n word so much and anyone would be upset and he swears the next time he sees the guy he'll beat him up yet he never mentions or talks about this ever again.

Well enough on the main plot the sub-plot now deals with prejudice. Spike applys for a job now feeling that Emma can be taken care of by her mother with the help of Liz. Then she finds the owner doesn't accept her becuase of her hair and Liz gets really mad, but Spike just brushes it off. Now although its a minor sub-plot I actually found it important to the stories plot, I mean teens everyday are discrimnated against becuase now and days we have a reputation as criminals and thugs but Spike proves that its not true dispite ones looks, I think the sub-plot should've been expanded more and here are some comments:

- Amanda (Spike) did wonderful in this episode as well as Cathy (Liz), they showed how it really feels for someone to do that to you.

- I didn't like that they expanded more on Spike not having a job and not that much on the discrimination.

Well overall this was a great and contorversial episode, that I recommend to you I give it 4 and 1/2 stars out of 5.