Degrassi: The Next Generation

Back In Black

Aired Daily 9:00 PM Oct 19, 2004 on Much Music

• Degrassi deals with aftermath of the shooting.

"Back in Black" is a great Degrassi episode! It's actually one of my favourite Sean episodes. I love how Sean, Jay, Emma, and Ellie go to Wasaga beach. It was so intense how Sean almost drowned himself. I love how he went to visit his parents and that he decided to stay home to work things out with his parents. JT was such a jerk to Toby in this episode. JT completely ditched him to hang out with the popular crowd at Degrassi leaving Toby with no friends. And no one wants to be a loner, so Toby makes friends with Rick. And in this episode JT doesn't want to be friends with Toby because he was friends with Rick. But I'm glad that JT kind of realized something and decided that he wanted to be friends with Toby by the end of the episode I give this episode a 9/10.
  • Rick Murray was subsequently paroled by being readmitted into Degrassi, but later arrested and convicted of manslaughter by having paint and feathers dumped on him and accidentally getting himself shot. He is currently serving a death sentence.

(My last lines in the end of the episode, Back in Black after Sean decides to stay in Wasaga Beack and says goodbye to Emma, whom he stopped Rick from shooting and to all his other friends) Well, there you have it. Sean at least was able to save one girl from getting hurt by Rick. (cut to all the season 4 episodes of Degrassi after the episode, Back in Black and to all the seasons 5-7 episodes of Degrassi) On some nights when I can't sleep, I'll watch all of the season 4 episodes of Degrassi after the episode, Back in Black and all of the seasons 5-7 episodes of Degrassi and watch all of the girls in the show. Sometimes, I'll see one that looks like Terri from the back or in the background and part of me hopes that when she turns around or comes closer, it'll be her again. But I know deep down that that will never happen. (as I say that, a girl in the show who does look exactly like Terri from the back or in the background turns her head or comes closer to the camera to clearly show she's not.) More importantly though, I don't view these girls as just victims of abuse. Each one of them is somebody's best friend. ( I turn off the TV and go to bed)
  • Toby and Sean deal with the aftermath of the shooting.

7.8
    Back in Black suffers ultimately from being an epilogue than largely doesn't live up the story that proceeded it. The episode centering around the reaction to the shooting incident in Time Stands Still part 2 is one that would have been better off as a two parter itself. Many potentially interesting aspects, (various students talking with counselers, Alex expressing some thought about what her actions did, media's report on what happened) are set up, but then fall by the wayside in favor of centering on the two main plots.

Plot A revolves around Sean leaving for Wasaga beach after getting fed up with the media barrage. (One could argue that an episode that follows Time Stands Still would be better served as an ensemble piece with most of the actors, but I digress) ------------------------------------------------------------
    Sean's departure away from Degrassi somewhat hurts the episode as his interaction some of the others at the school (Spinner, Paige, Toby) could have explored some interesting character development. Instead Sean's time largely consist of scenes with Jay, Ellie, and Emma. The latter's appearance, in spite of Sean's actions to save her in the previous episode, never quite feels right, and is an example of the many rushed aspects here that will be addressed later.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Plot B is surprisingly stronger than the main plot with Toby attempting to deal with Rick's death and the consequences of his friendship with him. The writing with this is notably more natural than the other, weaving in several past plots (The Toby/JT rift, Manny's brief relationship with JT) into a cohesive, interesting storyline. ------------------------------------------------------------
    Cassie Steele is excellent, exibiting both tender kindness and indignation, and Jake Goldsbie, often not the strongest actor, is solid here and much less over the top than in the previous episode. Finally, Ryan Cooley earns no complaints himself. ------------------------------------------------------------
    Not quite the same can be said for the main plot. The inherent problem is the awkward jamming of several major events (Sean\'s goodbyes to Emma/Ellie, his run-in with Tyler, and reunion with his parents) into one episode. While it all seems dramatic, none of the pay-offs feel satisfactory. Daniel Brown himself seems at a loss of which notes to play, with his crying scene being memorable for all the wrong reasons. ------------------------------------------------------------
    Bottom Line: If you\'re a Sean fan, its for you, otherwise watch for the Toby/Manny/JT stuff.
  • The Students Of Degrassi Deal With The After Math Of The Shotting.

Most People Might Not Find This Episode Sad But I Definetly Did. Sean Was And Is Still My Favourite Guy Character On Degrassi: The Next Generation. He Left In This Episode Which I Really Wish That He Didn't!!! *Crys Histerically* And Also In The Episode My Favourite Couple On Degrassi Of All Time Broke Up (Sean And Ellie). It Was Also Very Well Written. I Didn't See It Coming At All (Sean Leaving). I Loved How Sean Confronted His Parents And You See Him Talking To Tyler (The Guy He Deafened In One Ear). We See Alot From His Past That Has Only Been Talked About And Never Actually Been Seen Before. This Is One Of My Favourite Episodes But Yet The Saddest Episode In My Opinion.

If Daniel Clark Reads This (Doubt He Will But You Never Know) Please Come Back To Degrassi...It's Not The Same Without You!
  • This was verry good.

It was great to see how everyone dealt with the shootiing. Sean was a jerk in the beggining of the epesode. we finally got to meet tyler and he was a jerk. i really like the scene when emma ran in crying and said i can't take it anymore, everyone is stairing at me. i feel bad for ellie, i mean her boyfriend was acting like a jerk nad the staying in wasaga beach. miriam and stacy, great acting.
  • Sean leaves Degrassi

This episode was really good IMO. I think it was time for sean character to retire because it seemed in S4 his character was getting alittle old. His final episode was a good departure for his character

In the sub-plot toby trys to "deal" with the death of his only friend Rick. To be honest this bored me alittle. Ive never been a fan of Toby beacause hes a dork/nerd and he did a horrible job in TSS. After BIB i official label toby: loner

All in all this episode wasnt that bad.
  • This episode is the after math of the school shooting in Time Stands Still. We follow Sean on a journey to his old home in Wasaga Beach where he meets up with his parents for first time in years.

Usualy Degrassi portrays highschool life realisticly, but I thought this episode was incredibly stupid. The plot seemed like it was taken out of a soap opera, especially the part about Tyler. I expected Sean to run into the kid he defened when he went to Wasaga Beach, but what are the chances that the kid will save Sean\'s life when he falls off a jet ski? Another thing I didn\'t like was that Sean never apologized to Tyler. Also, I waited a long time for there to be an episode where Sean reconects with his parents, but they only had two scenes with Sean. Not to mention the fact that many parts of the episode were incredibly unrealistic. Examples are Sean throwing the T.V on the sidewalk. There were no negative consequences whatsoever. When Emma left with Sean, she just hopped in the car and left. She didn\'t bother to tell her parents where she was going, and it didn\'t seem like they were looking for her either. However, this episode did have its moments. Like Sean finally apoligizing to Emma. And even though I would have liked there to be more scenes with Sean and his parents, the scenes they did have were powerful. I was also happy with the subplot. It was nice to see a good side of Manny and I was glad Toby had someone to help him out at Rick\'s funeral. Rick\'s funeral was also a powerful scene. Overall I didn\'t care for this episode, but it wasn\'t completley horrible.
  • This episode is the aftermath of TSS aka the shooting. Sean who is obivously overwhelmed by the media attention heads to wasaga beach to see his parents; Meanwhile Toby trys to deal with the death of Rick with the help of Manny.

In the sub-plot toby trys to "deal" with the death of his only friend Rick. To be honest this bored me alittle. Ive never been a fan of Toby beacause hes a dork/nerd and he did a horrible job in TSS. After BIB i official label toby a: loner!

All in all this episode wasnt that bad.