Degrassi: The Next Generation

Boom Boom Pow, Part One

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jul 18, 2011 on Much Music

• spring fever

7.2
    So I'm guessing this was supposed to be the Degrassi season 10 finale... I guess this makes a lot more sense than what the finale that they aired a couple months back. The first 4 episodes were supposed to start with a bang, and the first of four surely did.

You'd think a Drew & Bianca story line wouldn't be the best but Degrassi got really dark tonight dealing with issues it surely hasn't gone through before. When we thought of gangs on Degrassi, we usually just thought Jay and The Candy Bandits, but things have a taken a serious turn here.

Everything else besides the main story line was pretty mediocre. Fiona hits on a girl and gets caught in a lie meanwhile Sav meets an apparently famous Keke Palmer. Not that great like I said. Overall though, solid opener.
  • Drew gets jealous when he sees Bianca with Anson, but Anson is actually stalking her. Fiona meets a girl named Charlie. Sav is not over Holly J.

"Boom Boom Pow: Spring Fever" part 1 is an excellent Degrassi season opener. The Bianca and Drew "A" plot was intense. I love how the character Bianca is given a chance to shine on Degrassi. I love how they give more background information on her character with her having a criminal record and she used to be in a gang or date someone in a gang. It's actually very realistic because Toronto is a beautiful city filled with nice people, but it does have gangs. This episode proves that Alicia Josipovic is a good actress. She makes good facial expressions and she can really act. The end of this episode was so intense when Anson was attempting to rape Bianca and Drew tries to save her. Then, Drew and Anson get into a fight and Alicia hits Anson on the head with brick to save Drew. I love the Fiona's "B" plot. I love how they introduce this character Charlie who is also a lesbian. Although I find some "C" plots useless, I do like how Sav is sort of going through a depression since he broke up with Holly J. I give this episode a 10/10.
  • this is a review of the whole hour special

Drew/Bianca: Really good, easily my favorite part of the episode. I haven't liked Bianca much recently, primarily for how she acted toward Adam early on in season 10, but I've warmed up to her. Her trying to get away from Anson and her tearing up during parts of this episode were well done. The ending was surprising, I did not think it would end with Drew being taken in by Dave's Dad.

Fiona/Charlie: this was OK. It was kind of boring. How is it that the FIRST girl Fiona sees turns out to be a lesbian? But they do make a good couple and I hope to see more of them in later episodes.

Sav/Keke Palmer: I liked this one. Second favorite plot of the episode. Not really much to say about this one.

I have a feeling this season is going to be really interesting the more it goes on. This was a more then satisfying start and I can't wait to see what else is in store. A+ premiere.