Degrassi: The Next Generation

Drive

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2002 on Much Music

• perfect

craig abuses the trust of joey when he takes a car for a joyride with some of his friends. will they get caught? ashley wants to impress Ellie by getting a piercing, but she chickens out at the last minute.

good episode, i thought. it kind of dragged near the end, and Ashley's plot bored me a little, but i still thought it was an enjoyable way to spend 22 minutes. no real complaints, aside from ashley's plot, and so overall my final grade for this episode is going to be an A+. i liked the main plot a lot
  • Craig drives the car with Marco, Spinner, and Sean when Joey is away. Ashley wants to get her belly button pierced

"Drive" is great episode. You get to see what Craig and Ashley are more like. You also get to see new characters like Ellie and Marco. Craig driving around with Marco, Spinner, and Sean looks so much fun. It was really digusting when Spinner farted in the car. I never seen Joey yell like that before. Craig does deserve it, but being grounded for 3 weeks is a long time. I really wanted Ashley to get her belly button pierce. I am glad Ashley has Ellie for a friend. It was super cool when Ashley asked her mom if she wanted to get something pierced. Anyways there wasn't a lot of drama happening in this episode so I gave it an 8.5/10.
  • Boring

I didn't like this episode. It was ok. This episode did nothing for the rest of the series. I thought it was very voring and Ashley brought up all this suspensse and then got afraid and walked away from the peircing. This episode was just a huge waste. Craig steeling the car to get dumb concert tickets?!? That was stupid because if he was caught he would have one to jail and he is only 14, so it makes it even stupider. this episode didn't set anything up for future episodes. Nothing really happened with any of the characters. Boring and long
  • Not that great.

4.1
    Ashley is really irritating in this episode because belly button piercings do not hurt all that much. She is a chicken and she goes through all the trouble of convincing her mom and then she doesn't go through with it. Besides, she shouldn't have to do something she doesn't want to do just to impress a new friend; if the girl doesn't like her oh well, move on. The idea that Craig takes the car and he is only 14 is just ridiculous. Him and Spinner and the rest of them are really immature and I can't stand it. Spinner is annoying and incredibly disgusting in this episode and he just irritates me all around. It's really not that important of an episode.
  • Joey goes away for the weekend, leaving Craig home alone. Craig then takes Spinner, Marco, and Sean for a joyride. Meanwhile Ashley tries to impress Ellie by piercing her belly button.

This episode ranks at #3 on my list of top 5 episodes. To be honest, nothing really happens in this episode. Craig is home alone, and invites Spinner, Marco and Sean to stay over. They get bored and decide to drive around town. Just when they think they're home free, Joey catches them. While there isn't much action, this is one of my favorites because my nostalgia level while watching this episode shoots through the roof. It reminds me of the many times I'd stayed over at a friend's house when I was 14, and we thought it was the coolest thing to stay at home when the parents were away.

Anyone who's a fan of the original Degrassi series will instantly see the irony of this episode. In the Degrassi Junior High episode "Trust Me", Snake's parents go out of town leaving him, Wheels and Joey home alone. JOEY drives Snake's dad's car to get Wheels to his appointment on time, and eventually they get caught just as Craig did in this episode.

I really like the subplot of this episode, because it presents a subtle issue that a majority of teens face today. Ashley's sole reason for wanting the body piercing was to impress Ellie. Many teens (and even adults) do things they shouldn't (or should) do just so their friends think they're cool. Just as Ellie mentions, anyone who considers themselves a friend to someone should never feel as if they have to do things to "score points" with them. Friendship is not a game or contest, and it shouldn't be treated as one. This is a great episode with a great lesson to live by.