Degrassi: The Next Generation Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on Much MusicIn Season

Ep 4.6 "Islands in the Stream" Alex/Paige/Spinner

blue4t

[1]Jan 11, 2013
    • level: 8

In this episode Paige takes on a new job at the movie theater where Alex works. Spinner comes in and orders how he wants his popcorn, for Paige to stop halfway and insert butter, among other things.

I hate how Alex derides Paige for the way Spinner ordered his popcorn. He's a paying customer and she should do it his way. It wasn't completely out of the ordinary. He didn't make her go in the back and/or get something strange. I understand what they're trying to say by having Spinner treat Paige this way, but to me it didn't come off that way. Did he really treat her like a crappy boyfriend because he wanted butter put on his popcorn at different intervals? Rude customer sure, but crappy boyfriend?

They could be trying to say he's using and abusing her position at work, but there are customers who will ask for their popcorn in similar fashions. They're not crappy boyfriends. They're just rude customers who expect the cashiers to do too much for them, imo.

I know Spinner was supposed to be the crappy boyfriend in this episode especially with the fighting with Craig over Manny and not Paige, but this one incident doesn't really warrant the derision from Alex that Paige has been given. Alex can say that Spinner was being rude,a bad customer, but I don't get the whole thing about Paige being a suck because her boyfriend made her make his popcorn in a very specific manner. She'd have to do that for another customer if they asked. If she didn't Alex would have something to say about that for sure.

ETA: I do know Spinner is only asking for his popcorn this way because Paige is his girlfriend and she kind of owes him at this point, but it's not so much about what Spinner is doing or why, but what Alex says about the situation.

Edited on 01/11/2013 12:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

teenj12

[2]Jan 11, 2013
    • level: 26
    blue4t wrote:

In this episode Paige takes on a new job at the movie theater where Alex works. Spinner comes in and orders how he wants his popcorn, for Paige to stop halfway and insert butter, among other things.

I hate how Alex derides Paige for the way Spinner ordered his popcorn. He's a paying customer and she should do it his way. It wasn't completely out of the ordinary. He didn't make her go in the back and/or get something strange. I understand what they're trying to say by having Spinner treat Paige this way, but to me it didn't come off that way. Did he really treat her like a crappy boyfriend because he wanted butter put on his popcorn at different intervals? Rude customer sure, but crappy boyfriend?

They could be trying to say he's using and abusing her position at work, but there are customers who will ask for their popcorn in similar fashions. They're not crappy boyfriends. They're just rude customers who expect the cashiers to do too much for them, imo.

I know Spinner was supposed to be the crappy boyfriend in this episode especially with the fighting with Craig over Manny and not Paige, but this one incident doesn't really warrant the derision from Alex that Paige has been given. Alex can say that Spinner was being rude,a bad customer, but I don't get the whole thing about Paige being a suck because her boyfriend made her make his popcorn in a very specific manner. She'd have to do that for another customer if they asked. If she didn't Alex would have something to say about that for sure.

ETA: I do know Spinner is only asking for his popcorn this way because Paige is his girlfriend and she kind of owes him at this point, but it's not so much about what Spinner is doing or why, but what Alex says about the situation.

Meh, Spinner was being spiteful. He knew what he was doing. Alex peeped his shizz and called him out on it.

NaughtyHottie

[3]Jan 16, 2013
    • level: 12
    Holy crap this episode is old.

SqueakyYugi

[4]Feb 1, 2013
    • level: 13

Lol, I love how they don't even pretend it's butter in Canada, they call it "topping"

blue4t

[5]Feb 1, 2013
    • level: 8

I know the intention of doing that is to be spiteful and mean, but to me it doesn't come off that way. It just comes off as him being a rude customer. Paige should have told Alex that he's the customer so she has to do what he says (of course, she doesn't have to do everything he says, only within in reason) even if it is a bit jerky. I think they should have found some other way to have Spinner come off as mean.