Degrassi: The Next Generation Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on Much MusicIn Season

Episode Discussion: Cannonball

UnovaChampion

[1]Aug 9, 2013
    • level: 18

Well we got some nice Jonnor, a little bit of some predictable Maya, Miles, Zoe, Tristan, and Chewy which didn't turn out too bad, and we got some Adamogen (Torreno is a lame shipping name)

And then Adam killed himself while trying to send a text message to his girlfriend while driving.

Wah wah wah.......

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

baller12xx

[2]Aug 9, 2013
    • level: 13
    Last scene of the episode made me cringe, good scene with Adam. Maya was a bit annoying with her attitude towards miles but her character has very redeeming qualities, curious to see where things go with her character. Drew just needs to find the tallest cliff in the forest and skydive without his gear on......

This deaths with recent degrassi characters haven't made much of an impact. Cams episode was done well, but didn't feel an emotional attachment to his character. Loved Adam in season 10 (TBP) but since then his character has had either bad story-lines or no screen time...his death now will probably leave not as big of an impact unfortunately.

SqueakyYugi

[3]Aug 10, 2013

Seriously? No one but Miles can help them find Tristan? I'm just saying, if House and Sherlock are anything to go by, Connor has the right brain for the job. Or the teacher; it's kind of her job to keep them safe. Or you know, the police.

Adam, Adam, Adam, you can't be on a show aimed at teenagers and expect to get away with texting and driving. I don't think he's dead though; he's still got unfinished business, and they just killed someone off last season.

I do agree that his stories have been somewhat lacking; there was nothing left since he came to terms with being transgendered. Plus his mom has the money and is ok with him getting horomone therapy, so that's one less problem they could do.

Edited on 08/10/2013 11:33am

baller12xx

[4]Aug 10, 2013
    ^ I agree with everything you said about Adam. He has become a lot less interesting. he seemed very smart in TBP, now i feel like they have cheapened his character to play the "guy" role. so he makes dumb or "drew" decisions.

UnovaChampion

[5]Aug 11, 2013
    • level: 18
    We'll see about Adam, don't get your hopes up about him living though. Even if he's been "less interesting" he's still one of the only reasons I could stand to keep watching Clare's class. And with these new characters being less than stellar all I can hope for is that Talia chick gets promoted to main character status.

vampman87

[6]Aug 16, 2013
    • level: 4
    baller12xx wrote:

This deaths with recent degrassi characters haven't made much of an impact. Cams episode was done well, but didn't feel an emotional attachment to his character. Loved Adam in season 10 (TBP) but since then his character has had either bad story-lines or no screen time...his death now will probably leave not as big of an impact unfortunately.

Cam's death was done HORRIBLY given that there was no set up to it. I had mentioned before that the second part (in which they find his body) SHOULD have started with Cam silently waking into the greenhouse with a look of utter despair on his face. The shot would only last maybe 2 seconds, five max, but it would have an impact. Instead we have Cam breakin up with Maya over text in one episode, and then BOOM, next ep they discover the body. The follow up for the rest of the episode was done well, (especially Dallas's reaction and Fiona being there to keep him from jumping off a ledge) but the set up REALLY needed to be done better, like with Rick from the early years, which was done PERFECTLY.

As for Adam, I think the writers secretly hated his guts. Out of all the Degrassi kids, Adam got the worst storylines and the worst bad luck imaginable. He was teased, beaten up, SHOT, and all of his relationships lasted maybe 1 and a half episodes before things went south. And, looking back on everything, Adam really didn't do much of anything at all except maybe console the rest of the characters. His brother had a whole season of character development during his rivalry with Bianca's gangbanger ex-boyfriend, but Adam pretty much is the same person he was in his introductory episode, I wish he had more than half an episode where he could have been genuinely happy.

baller12xx

[7]Aug 16, 2013
    I dont think the writers hated Adam, they had to handle his character like that. Being trans in HS is hard (sometimes horrible) and they had to show Adam going through these things. I think the writers in general have gotten A LOT worse after TBP. Idk how TBP was SO GOOD and everything else has been HORRIBLE. I think a lot of it has to do with younger kids watching the show and the writers having to tone-it-down for the network. Every character uses cheesy lines and try's to use slang that is not normally their character. It's almost like the characters dont have their own identity from eachother. The problem is (like MANY have said) the writers are turning the character into the actual actors who play them. This was JUST mentioned on the muchmusic after show with the actress who plays imogen. One of the hosts said "you really look like yourself in that scene, we are starting to see more of "you" in the show"...like Eli, bianca, drew, alli and jenn. none of these character are indvidual anymore, i forget how they stood out in the 1st place at this point....

teenj12

[8]Aug 21, 2013
    • level: 26
    baller12xx wrote:
    IThe problem is (like MANY have said) the writers are turning the character into the actual actors who play them.
    I think that's a good a point and you're definitely on to something. Such as Eli's character who has more or less become the personality of the actor who portrays him (Munro).

baller12xx

[9]Aug 22, 2013
    ^ agreed. Its true. Alli's character has lost personality just like jenna, adam, and bianca.