Degrassi: The Next Generation Forums

Daily 9:00 PM on Much MusicIn Season

Season 11 News & Speculation (possible spoilers)

potcfan2003

[161]May 4, 2011
    • level: 5
    Karan6 wrote:
    baller12xx wrote:
    ^ very true. i thyink the same thing. im so sick of everyone thinking that dieing is the only way the show can "go there"

I never said some1 had to die neither I just feel like some ppls expectations of what they want to see just are unrealistic for this time in age like a suicide,bomb threat etc. I just do not see anything that intense or dark happening at least any time soon the show is more of a teen soap opera now.

I think intense and dark things are happening, it's just being overhyped. All Falls Down was probably one of the best episodes in Degrassi history. It had amazing build up, incredible suspense, phenomenal acting and it kept you on the edge of your seat. No one appreciated it when it came out because of all the overhhype. Same thing with Drop the World. That episode was really dark, but because of all the spoilers and hype, it couldn't possibly live up to everyone's expectations. Season 10 is the most intense season (and one of the darkest) since season 4. You know it's a good season when an episode where almost nothing actually happened (All Falls Down) is more intense and exciting than an older one where a main character dies (Rock This Town). I know this rant is getting lengthy, but I just wish people would stop saying Degrassi has become a soap opera. Yes, it is more focused on drama now. But it's not nearly as far fetched as soap operas. Basically, more has happened this season than what happened in two or three old seasons put together.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Karan6

[162]May 4, 2011
    • level: 9
    potcfan2003 wrote:
    Karan6 wrote:
    baller12xx wrote:
    ^ very true. i thyink the same thing. im so sick of everyone thinking that dieing is the only way the show can "go there"

I never said some1 had to die neither I just feel like some ppls expectations of what they want to see just are unrealistic for this time in age like a suicide,bomb threat etc. I just do not see anything that intense or dark happening at least any time soon the show is more of a teen soap opera now.

I think intense and dark things are happening, it's just being overhyped. All Falls Down was probably one of the best episodes in Degrassi history. It had amazing build up, incredible suspense, phenomenal acting and it kept you on the edge of your seat. No one appreciated it when it came out because of all the overhhype. Same thing with Drop the World. That episode was really dark, but because of all the spoilers and hype, it couldn't possibly live up to everyone's expectations. Season 10 is the most intense season (and one of the darkest) since season 4. You know it's a good season when an episode where almost nothing actually happened (All Falls Down) is more intense and exciting than an older one where a main character dies (Rock This Town). I know this rant is getting lengthy, but I just wish people would stop saying Degrassi has become a soap opera. Yes, it is more focused on drama now. But it's not nearly as far fetched as soap operas. Basically, more has happened this season than what happened in two or three old seasons put together.

This is true.....if Drop the World didn't get so spoiled it would have been very intense!

teenj12

[163]May 4, 2011
    • level: 26
    To me Degrassi has turned into a soap opera. Not because its gotten bad or over dramatic or anything. I actually wish they'd do the soap opera format everyday, like a regular soap opera, but of course, I'm not sure how many hours the show is allowed to push these young actors.

Karan6

[164]May 5, 2011
    teenj12 wrote:
    To me Degrassi has turned into a soap opera. Not because its gotten bad or over dramatic or anything. I actually wish they'd do the soap opera format everyday, like a regular soap opera, but of course, I'm not sure how many hours the show is allowed to push these young actors.

I agree I feel bad sometimes for some of these young actors cause no offense I mean I love Degrassi an there have been a few stars but most of these actors in a couple years will need to get normal jobs....like Shane Kippel(Spinner) Degrassi was his main source of income for such a long time an now he probably does the small odd acting gigs.

vgplaya89

[165]May 5, 2011
    • level: 15
    Karan6 wrote:
    teenj12 wrote:

I agree I feel bad sometimes for some of these young actors cause no offense I mean I love Degrassi an there have been a few stars but most of these actors in a couple years will need to get normal jobs....like Shane Kippel(Spinner) Degrassi was his main source of income for such a long time an now he probably does the small odd acting gigs.

actually the guys that were in Studz on the show have formed a real band now (Soundspeed). so he's probably getting at least a little money from that.

also, AFD is a hella underrated episode. it's honestly a better episode than RTT, and even TSS, arguably. and the best Season finale since Tears are Not Enough if you count Boiling Point as a season. it was well directed, well paced, well acted, and very stylized in part 2. Drop The World is a good episode, considering it was spoiled to hell and back and still managed to be entertaining. the only part that disappointed me was how the car crash and Jenna giving birth were handled. that cutaway pissed me off, and Jenna managed to take a backseat to Eclaire the same way Liberty giving birth took a backseat to a montage of Craig's best moments.

ive said it before, and i'll say it again. the B plot to TSS was AWFUL and pointless. but people forget that because OMG RICK SHOOTS SOMEONE AND DIES.

Karan6

[166]May 5, 2011
    vgplaya89 wrote:
    Karan6 wrote:
    teenj12 wrote:

actually the guys that were in Studz on the show have formed a real band now (Soundspeed). so he's probably getting at least a little money from that.

also, AFD is a hella underrated episode. it's honestly a better episode than RTT, and even TSS, arguably. and the best Season finale since Tears are Not Enough if you count Boiling Point as a season. it was well directed, well paced, well acted, and very stylized in part 2. Drop The World is a good episode, considering it was spoiled to hell and back and still managed to be entertaining. the only part that disappointed me was how the car crash and Jenna giving birth were handled. that cutaway pissed me off, and Jenna managed to take a backseat to Eclaire the same way Liberty giving birth took a backseat to a montage of Craig's best moments.

ive said it before, and i'll say it again. the B plot to TSS was AWFUL and pointless. but people forget that because OMG RICK SHOOTS SOMEONE AND DIES.

haha yea Joey's house "situation", I agree I did not care much for how Jenna giving birth was handled as much as the accident....Degrassi was just too cheap to actually total the car....But I still wish we knew what he hit? I mean did he hit a light pole, a fence, another vehicle, did he go into a ditch? like common DeGrassi.

jkxbox360

[167]May 5, 2011
    I side with both people on this debate. I just think a death is due because it is extremely logical. People die everyday, and like I've said before, almost every person through out high school knows AT LEAST one person that dies through out their 4 years and most people know many, many more. It might be a parent, a friend, someone you didn't really talk to, but went to school with, etc. but death needs to happen again on the show because not only is it intense and goes there (no this is not the other topic that does this) but it is something that this new generation of viewers haven't experienced with the show. The "originals" viewers lost J.T. who was a huge fan favorite and on the show for 6 seasons. It is time for someone to die. If someone does not die by the end of season 11, I will be extremely disappointed.

baller12xx

[168]May 5, 2011
    • level: 13
    but it took them 6 seasons to kill someone off. i think it doesnt have to be a main character. it can be a family member who dies "on or off screen" and the affects that a character goes threw (like depression, anexiety, or a dark path) but to have a main character die is a little to expected now).

RomanZolanski

[169]May 5, 2011
    • level: 12
    Well, we've had Julia's death, and you know what happened to Eli.

Karan6

[170]May 6, 2011
    Ya know I never thought so many girls get pregnant before I graduated Highschool.....its been 2 years now an I know almost a dozen girls who had kids its crazy!! I also know a lot of people who get engaged an even married....I think Jenna and KC should get engaged an than it not work out or something

sizz_leteen

[171]May 6, 2011
    • level: 16

Degrassi has needed to turn into more of a soap opera because that's what viewers are into, nowadays. The stuff of seasons 1/2 (which hearkened back WAY more to the original DJH/DH than the more recent seasons of the show have)--the more frequent comic relief, the after-school-special-type endings, the less glamorous-looking cast--would not be able to pull in the ratings that season 10 has in 2010/2011. Hence the addition of catty girls and pretty boys every season. The show needs to keep up with teen hits like 90210, Vampire Diaries, and whatever else the kids are into, these days

This started way back in season 4, which aired in 2004/2005. Degrassi was struggling to remain true to its wholesome roots, even as the teen drama genre, which had been pretty dead at that point, was suddenly revived with the success of The O.C. TSS was a turning point for the series. Degrassi needed to change if it was going to continue. Then came TSS, the midway point through season 4. Rick's gunshot marked the death of Degrassi as a humble little teen show. Enter Kevin Smith (ie. Hollywood/America) whose presence glamorized it to the point of absurdity, to the point that longtime viewers could hardly recognize it.

Students were suddenly interested in acting, becoming models, etc. I dare anyone to argue that season 6 did not rip off the first season of The O.C. Sean = Ryan (wife beater and all), Emma = Marissa, Manny = Summer, Peter = Luke. It was trying too hard to be sexy.

The show was lost for a while (seasons 6-8ishy). It decided that the sexiness of season 6 didn't work, so J.T.'s death marked an end of trying to emulate The O.C. The producers decided to go "dark" in season 7. That didn't work. Season 8 was a bit of a mess, with the introduction of new, younger characters (an attempt to capture the atmosphere of the early seasons), while at the same time stuck with older characters who were caricatures of those seen in American teen shows. The season felt disjointed and clumsy, as the show tried to appeal to different audiences.

I would say that Mia's departure was the most recent turning point. Gone was the last evidence of the show's attempt to capture the glamour of American teen shows. I feel that the show has finally found a relatively stable balance between wholesomeness, and the darker drama that viewers are lapping up, now.

vgplaya89

[172]May 7, 2011
    That sort of makes sense. Seasons 5-7 just felt a lot different from earlier seasons. The show became a lot more relationship based.

Ironically only the early part of season 7 was dark. Then again the beginning was the only good part of season 7.

baller12xx

[173]May 7, 2011
    well by the end of season 4 the kids knew they were "famous" after the mall tours and all that. so their wardrobe became a lot more important, and everything started to become a little bit more glamorous. storylines took the back seat....example : season 6, that season was juss terrible, as much as i try to like "rock this town" because i feel like im supposed to, i just cant get into it that much.

jkxbox360

[174]May 7, 2011
    "Rock This Town" is one of my all-time favorite episodes. It is an extremely fun episode with almost every character interacting with each other at a party with some hilarious lines from Manny, etc. Plus the final scene with JT/Toby and then of course Liberty finding JT.

Then the scene with everyone at the hospital all hugging...all the "originals" incredible moments.

teenj12

[175]May 7, 2011
    • level: 26
    jkxbox360 wrote:
    I side with both people on this debate. but death needs to happen again on the show because not only is it intense and goes there (no this is not the other topic that does this) but it is something that this new generation of viewers haven't experienced with the show. The "originals" viewers lost J.T. who was a huge fan favorite and on the show for 6 seasons. It is time for someone to die. If someone does not die by the end of season 11, I will be extremely disappointed.
    It sad that viewers feel like these teen characters have to die to make degrassi interesting. There are OTHER things you guys!!!

baller12xx

[176]May 7, 2011
    jkxbox360 wrote:
    "Rock This Town" is one of my all-time favorite episodes. It is an extremely fun episode with almost every character interacting with each other at a party with some hilarious lines from Manny, etc. Plus the final scene with JT/Toby and then of course Liberty finding JT.

Then the scene with everyone at the hospital all hugging...all the "originals" incredible moments.

I remember when they showed the final seen and then the credits rolled, i thought "WTF? the episodes over"...his death happend within th last minute of the show. and although i did like all the character interacting, it was weird seeing them all at emma's. theirs now way that would ever normally happen, so it was very unrealistic. and the episode seemed to drag a bit because the whole episode was an A-plot. yea, their were side things going on "emma & sean, jt & lib" but it was all focused in the same place..seemed to drag a bit..i dot hate this episode, i just dont see it as being historic..deffinently a good moment, but after season 5 their isnt much historic about the show really, besides what ive heard about season 10.

sizz_leteen

[177]May 8, 2011
    • level: 16

You can't really have a character's death be drawn out through an entire episode. Very often, death doesn't work that way, especially with the way J.T. died. The knife punctured a major artery, and that was that. It was sudden, as death often is. There was nothing the writers could have done to extend it. I think it was wise of the writers to end the episode in that way, as it left little time to get over the shock of losing this beloved character. It really captured the feeling of losing a friend to senseless violence: one minute they're there, you're having fun with them, and the next minute, they're gone forever.

With deaths of major characters in shows like The O.C., The L Word, the characters also died within the final moments of the episodes. If the writers prolonged the death scenes, it would have looked as though they were reveling in the characters' deaths (though one could argue that in The L Word, Dana's death was quite reveled in...was that death clock at the bottom of the screen necessary?).

baller12xx

[178]May 8, 2011
    wow, a show had a death clock??? lol thats INSANE!....but i didnt mean to say to "drag out his death" i loved the deasth scene but the hospital scene just didnt seem like a "moment" to me...idk i didnt get that feeling of "omg, all the originals are in the same room" feeling.. if u know what i mean

vgplaya89

[179]May 9, 2011
    RTT is the most overrated Degrassi episode imo. the shooting was at least built up. RTT was a throwaway episode until the last 3 minutes.

also i find it ironic that everyone's clamoring for a death, since ratings actually went DOWN after JT died.

baller12xx

[180]May 9, 2011
    ^ 1000% true.. the only memorable part of RTT was the last 2 mins...i dont get how pple can defend this episode...just because an original character dies doesnt mean u have to like the episode..their a difference between liking an episode just because he's an original and pple feel like they have to say they liked it, and looking at the show as a whole and judging the episode for what it was...and to me it is EXTREMELY OVERRATED!!