Degrassi: The Next Generation Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on Much MusicIn Season

So...im dropping this show?

Tvking00

[1]May 29, 2012
    • level: 5

I love degrassi and I always will but this show is getting a little to relationshippy for me I just don't identify with it anymore. I think Eclares return killed it for me I don't want to have to go through that plot consuming non-sense again. I used to love this show when it was more about the issues than the relationships but now it seems to be the other way around. I also think the MTV Teen soap opera look is what was killing it for me to. So im just going to drop it here i've had a good run with it but I just don't think I can continue watching. Is anybody else quitting or close to quitting this show or is it just me?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

baller12xx

[2]May 29, 2012
    • level: 13
    I've been on the fence for a little while now. I've slowly neglected the show. I love maya's character, but i dont like that her and the new kid are going to be the new "it couple". why does the show need to force a relationship down peoples throats....idk, i catch the repeats when i can, stopped buting the dvd's after TBP. I used to be OBSSESED with this show and thought i could never not watch it, but im starting to grow tired of the lack of creativity in the show. the dialog is bad and over the top. its not about "going there" anymore.

Tvking00

[3]May 29, 2012
    I completely forgot that Degrassis tagline used to be "It goes there" now its more like "Whos side are you on". I used to like the new characters until I figured out that there only purpose was to be stuck in relationships.

baller12xx

[4]May 30, 2012
    honestly, although many say that the internet has helped the show, which it has. it has also hurt the show. everything is spoiled for us. i loved being surprised by character. but now, i already know there whole backstory months before the shoe airs the episode.

vgplaya89

[5]May 30, 2012
    • level: 15
    At least they more or less simulcast the show now.

back in the old days, all you'd have to do to know what happens for the rest of the season (or see the rest months before The-N decided to stop breaking randomly) is go online.

The only issue I have with Degrassi as it stands right now is the Fall seasons. the summer seasons are intense and issue-laden, then the fall seasons are dull and relationship-centric. I think they should either keep the telenovela format for the Fall seasons, or just do them differently, possibly go back to standalone episodes instead of everything being a two-parter.

baller12xx

[6]May 30, 2012
    ^ agreed. I miss the 1 episode's. with singles episodes, u can always like another one and know that a fresh issue will be developed. but with a 2-part, if u hate the story, you have to sit through another episode because pt.2 is the week after.

Tvking00

[8]May 30, 2012
    vgplaya89 wrote:
    At least they more or less simulcast the show now.

back in the old days, all you'd have to do to know what happens for the rest of the season (or see the rest months before The-N decided to stop breaking randomly) is go online.

The only issue I have with Degrassi as it stands right now is the Fall seasons. the summer seasons are intense and issue-laden, then the fall seasons are dull and relationship-centric. I think they should either keep the telenovela format for the Fall seasons, or just do them differently, possibly go back to standalone episodes instead of everything being a two-parter.

Why isn't Degrassi an hour long show they would get a lot more accomplished in 44min than they normal do in 20. Dramas are usually that long anyways so why not?

teenj12

[9]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 26
    ^ Degrassi's different than any other teen drama out there. I think an hour would kinda be overkill, we already have two parters every plot.

Anyway, I'll never quit the show (I've been watching since I was 7), but I have noticed that I''ve forgotten/missed almost every episode in 11.5 .

@vgplaya: OMG, you took the words right out of my mouth! The Fall/rest of the year half seasons are ALWAYS so lack luster and boring compared to the Summer first half which are a lot more exciting. This is why, In Too Deep is never really credited, like TBP or NON.

thec0mebackman

[10]Jun 18, 2012
    i haven't watched Degrassi since the second half of season 10. (when that bully dude brought a knife to school and almot chopped Eli's head off.0 i've been meaning to catch up on it, but i'm too lazy. i guess that may explain where i stand with this show now....is this even worth watching anymore? are Holly J, Anya, Riley still on the show or have they graduated? to say i'm out of the loop would be an understatement. my one main issue with Degrassi is the character-overload. i mean, some are so useless. i loved when Degrassi focused on a specific character back in the day but when season 10 started i saw them drift away from that. season 10 was still amazing, but i am scared to watch and end up getting disappointed. god i miss the old degrassi.......

baller12xx

[11]Jun 18, 2012
    i miss the old generation too!!!!

u will be somewhat dissapointed overall because the show has changed. it has some good points, but it will never bee as good to old the old generation because at that time everything about this show was somewhat new and fresh..the old generation was such a different time then it is now...man i miss it.

vgplaya89

[12]Jun 19, 2012
    I don't, really. I've accepted that Degrassi's never gonna be what it once was, and in a way, that's kind of a good thing.

The old generation had flaws, nostalgia just makes it seem like it didn't.

baller12xx

[13]Jun 20, 2012
    ^ somewhat true. but seasons 8 & 9 had HUGE FLAWS. its like the production/staff got lazy. the writing was weak, storylines weren't great, character development was terrible. but even editing was lazy on the show. when Alli said in season 8 "yes, ray" instead of saying "sav". in season 9 in "waiting for a girl like you" right when the show 's intro starts, you see Charlotte Arnold getting into character (waiting for her cue) a brief second into shooting. there were other notable mistakes that she show made, TNG was never this lazy. there's a difference between having flaws and blatantly bad seasons.

UnovaChampion

[14]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 18
    Every show has flaws my dear Baller, but this upcoming season looks like a masterpiece if done correctly.

And by done correctly I mean Becky falls into a never ending hole for her homophobia and attempt to "save" Adam after they bond.

baller12xx

[15]Jun 22, 2012

^ very true! But those (mess-ups in S8 & 9) arent flaws, they are mistakes...there wasnt many obvious mistakes with TNG.

Edited on 06/22/2012 1:08pm

vgplaya89

[16]Jul 3, 2012
    True, a couple of the editing mistakes were embarassing and amateurish.

sroll

[17]Jul 24, 2012
    • level: 1

lol @missing the characters from season 10. if emma, manny, toby, or craig doesn't ring a bell you cannot "miss the old characters". Welcome to real Degrassi fanhood, where the writers bring in characters you're made to fall in love with and take them away a few seasons later. If you can't make it through missing characters from two seasons ago you should probably just give up now. I've been watching this show since season 1. And I still can't say I'm a balls out true Degrassi fan, cause, you probably don't know this, but the original Degrassi show started in the 80s. That was the real original Degrassi. Do you ever wonder why it's called "Degrassi: The Next Generation"? That's because this is a whole remake of an 80s television show. I have watched one episode though, just because I had to see the origins of Emma so if you start talking about missing someone from season 1 - 3, then you have rights to say that the show is totally different and not the same without the old characters. But missing season 10ers does not cut it.

baller12xx

[18]Jul 25, 2012
    ^ very true..lol....i didnt read the person's post, but who do they miss from season 10? only pple who left were peter,declan, and leia..... nobody worth missing really...but it makes me think "i wonder how declan would have handled some of the school changes.

pappy97

[19]Jul 25, 2012
    • level: 4
    sroll wrote:

lol @missing the characters from season 10. if emma, manny, toby, or craig doesn't ring a bell you cannot "miss the old characters". Welcome to real Degrassi fanhood, where the writers bring in characters you're made to fall in love with and take them away a few seasons later. If you can't make it through missing characters from two seasons ago you should probably just give up now. I've been watching this show since season 1. And I still can't say I'm a balls out true Degrassi fan, cause, you probably don't know this, but the original Degrassi show started in the 80s. That was the real original Degrassi. Do you ever wonder why it's called "Degrassi: The Next Generation"? That's because this is a whole remake of an 80s television show. I have watched one episode though, just because I had to see the origins of Emma so if you start talking about missing someone from season 1 - 3, then you have rights to say that the show is totally different and not the same without the old characters. But missing season 10ers does not cut it.

D:TNG is not a remake, but a continuation.

I watched DJH and DH when it FIRST aired in the US, and consider DJH/DH my favorite TV show of all time. Also watched a bunch of Kids of Degrassi Street back in the day, and of course, have seen every episode of D:TNG and "Degrassi."

So as an elder statesman, I can say that even the show is not what it used to be, I'll watch until the bitter end. I guess I am just that much of a Degrassi fan. But I did complain loudly when Emma's dad (Shane) had a new actor play him, and the blasphemy that the actress who played Joey's daughter Angela is now back as a different character.

I do have a beef about the rotating characters now. Emma was at Degrassi for seasons 1-7, and on the show through Season 9. We do have some characters that we seen for a long while (Claire comes to mind), and while Chantay being a senior at Degrassi forever was annoying, the revolving cast is getting annoying too.

I also have to echo the sentiments that it doesn't appear "to go there" as much. Having said that, for those who say it is now too relationshipy, go back and read episode guides from earlier seasons. Even in the "hey day," just about every ep had a storyline re: relationship.