Degrassi: The Next Generation Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on Much MusicIn Season

Your Unpopular Degrassi Opinions.

vgplaya89

[1]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 15

In this topic, just express some opinions you feel are different from the norm in the fandom.

Here's some of mine, i'll explain more if asked...

- JT is the most overrated Degrassi character of all time. he didnt even become that interesting until Season 5. from Seasons 1-3 he was an annoying comic relief character, Season 4 he was a tool. people just get nostalgic over him because he was killed off.

- Speaking of JT's death, Rock This Town is the most overrated Degrassi episode of all time. the first 15 minutes was complete filler. if you take away JT's surprise death, its a pretty mediocre episode.

- All Falls Down is probably one of the most underrated eps, or will end up being it because of being so overhyped. I honestly believe it was a better overall episode than Time Stands Still. Don't get me wrong, TSS was really good, but people keep forgetting the boring, pointless B plot. AFD was just more entertaining, and edge of your seat. If you take away all the hype and promos and OMGWHODIES, its a pretty good, entertaining, stylistic episode.

- Riley and Zane are more entertaining and likable than Marco and Dylan ever were.

- Wesley >>> Toby

- I really never got the Liberty obsession this board used to have back when the vets still came here. I found her annoying most of the time. she got kinda cute in Seasons 5-8 though. But if you look closely, most of her character was built around being in love with JT, even after he died.

- Emma was actually somewhat bearable as a character in Seasons 1 and 2.after that she just went to hell though

- Take On Me wasn't that bad an episode, if you know it's one big Breakfast Club homage.

- I really dont see how people say that the Candy Bandits >>> The Bully Trio. People keep claiming that Jay and Alex were such great, three-dimensional characters, but they really werent until Season 5. Jay was pure evil and borderline sociopath, and Alex was a ***** until they randomly turned her lesbian.

I mean sure, Owen, Fitz and Bianca are one dimensional as hell so far, but its their first season as main characters, and they actually DO menacing and illegal things, whereas with the Candy Bandits it was pretty much just alluded to. the worst thing that the CB did was incite the shooting and steal stuff, but with the BT, theyve gotten drunk, beaten people up, sold drugs, attempted stabbing/rape, and basically changed the entire landscape of Degrassi.

- Janes character derailment in s9 is nothing compared to S10 Clares.

- Sav's had some of the best/most natural character development of the new set. he went from that annoying kid in Studz that is obsessed over his girlfriend, to a genuinely likable character.

ill probably come up with more later. I was going to say "Clare and Eli are a terrible, overrated couple" but Umbrella Part 2 made me like them again. But I'm really starting to dislike how they're overpushing them lately like they did Declan/Holly J last season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NaughtyHottie

[2]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 12
    - Even though TSS was a good episode, i thought the overall acting was horrible. Especially when Rick was threatening to kill Emma, i just thought it was so corny.

- I agree with rock this town being so overrated. It was completely rushed at the end, I think it would have been better if they did a two parter, like the first one being all about the party, and the second one being all about jt dying and how everyone felt after it happened

- I always hated the fact that Emma was the 'star' of the show because i could never stand her. and she walks weird

- I never liked Sean and especially Sean/Emma together. I thought they were the worst couple throughout the entire series of the show (but spinner/emma might bypass that now). I don't know why everyone loved them so much because I couldnt stand seeing them together!!

AllieB0524

[3]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 7

Im happy someone made this post because now I feel I can air my opinions with no fear of people yelling at me lol

1. I hate all the new characters. The show is ruined for me. I dont get what people saw in the Boiling Point crap. I barely watch Degrassi anymore because all the new characters suck. I loved the original cast. And even though Simpson is still on, its not the same because all he is is the principal. Nothing more. It was great when he had stories about his family and all.

2. I actually liked Spinner and Emma. I would argue that they were rushed and all but I thought they have great chemistry.

3. I hated Sellie. I found them to be sooooooo boring.

4. And I agree with the other posters about RTT. It wasnt a horrible episode, but JTs death should have been handled better.

I have more but I would be here forever.

frontman19

[4]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 14

I didn't really care for this show at all until season 9.

The older characters from seasons 1-7 are actually quite forgettable.

Paige is just about the least likable character I've ever come across in a TV show.

I was actually ok with Spinner and Emma's wedding.

(I'm not sure how unpopular this one is but...) Clare is a better character now than she's ever been.

The only relationship I've ever liked in this show is Eli/Clare.

Edited on 11/24/2010 12:00am
    Edited 4 total times.

Beastgirl2

[5]Nov 23, 2010
    • level: 11

I actually like the new characters a lot more than the old ones.

Holly J and Declan have no chemistry; they were just put together randomly and became a super cheesy and annoying couple way too fast.

Adam cannot pass for a guy, ever. The actress has a very feminine face.

I agree about Sav! He has turned into a lovable character.

Alli was whiny and annoying and had terrible taste in guys. She should stay gone unless she has learned a lesson or two when she gets back.

I don't know if these are unpopular or not, but I'm being honest.

sizz_leteen

[6]Nov 23, 2010
    • level: 16

-I actually like Crellie

-I have never liked Sean (though I did like Sellie) or Jimmy (I thought he was boring)

-I HATE Declan

-I like DGH a lot more than DTM

-I liked the s6/7 Marco/Ellie/Paige university stories

basenji529

[7]Nov 23, 2010

Sean is a Stu, albeit a "good" Stu, if that's possible. Tropes Are Not Bad.

Marco always annoyed me, from the minute he licked his lips. Gay people don't act like that! Riley is more interesting, full stop.

Emma was somewhat bearable in season 1.

I liked Mia for about five minutes.

TSS was a good episode, but full of narm.

I never liked Sean/Emma, even though on this forum, that's hardly unpopular.

I hated how they dropped a bridge on JT. I don't mean I hated it because I liked JT (even though I did), just because it was bad storytelling.

I actually like Toby.

My solution to most of these shipper wars has been OT3.

I thought it was stupid that they hired a white guy to play Kelly Ashoona!

@vgplaya: Alex was starting to become three-dimensional in season 4. Also, there's the Five Bad Band aspect, though Sean pulls most of the weight as Evil Genius, Sixth Column, and Co Dragon with Alex.

sizz_leteen

[8]Nov 23, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

I thought it was stupid that they hired a white guy to play Kelly Ashoona!

Oh God, that's right, his last name was Ashoona! Also, Manny will NEVER PASS for a first generation Canadian with a Filipino background. And Paige, with her butchering of the Ukrainian language in DBTH and Holiday, would have her Ukrainian card taken away.

SaintJolee

[9]Nov 23, 2010
    • level: 2

I liked Manny with blonde hair.

Jt and Liberty had no chemistry whatsoever.

Craig and Ashley were boring and overrated.

I like Sean and Emma but I think him coming back for her after season 4 was dumb.

I liked Danny and Derek's friendship.

sizz_leteen

[10]Nov 23, 2010
    SaintJolee wrote:

Jt and Liberty had no chemistry whatsoever.

I think that this is generally accepted (I certainly agree with you), but people ship them because a) it's always nice to see an underdog score her dream man, especially one she's been crushing on since grade 7, and b) 99.9% of all viewers hate Mia.

vgplaya89

[11]Nov 23, 2010
    Alright, I think i have some more ammo for this topic:

In the end, Im definitely liking Holly J/Sav more than Declan/Holly J. I loved Holly J/Declan for the first few episodes, but after they got Cena-pushed in season 9, they just got ran into the ground. Season 10 was the salt in the wound. at first i thought i'd hate Sav/Holly J, but they have great chemistry, and I can kinda relate since im in a complicated relationship.

KC is probably my overall favorite character in the new set. Sure he's become a douche, but he has the most interesting past, and seeing him fly off the handle is pretty entertaining.

Clare/Eli was pretty much the exact same relationship as Clare/KC up until AFD.

the old cast was more detrimental to Season 7 than the newer cast members.

I hate every Craig ship whatsoever.

Season 4 is held as one of the best seasons of the show, but I would put it middle tier. It was REALLY good until around Secret. then it just fell off hard.

basenji529

[12]Nov 24, 2010

Are you being sarcastic? It just happens Ashoona is the name of the most famous Eskimo of the 20th century.

BTW, I think Manny and Paige are second-generation.

Believe me, I get after Twilight for the same thing (Taylor Lautner isn't Indian. Then when they get real Indians, they put them in bronze à la Bamboozled.), and other things.

sizz_leteen

[13]Nov 24, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic? It just happens Ashoona is the name of the most famous Eskimo of the 20th century.

BTW, I think Manny and Paige are second-generation.

Believe me, I get after Twilight for the same thing (Taylor Lautner isn't Indian. Then when they get real Indians, they put them in bronze à la Bamboozled.), and other things.

Paige is second-generation at least, but Manny is first. In Venus, her father talks about "sacrificing everything to come to this country". And here, we call 'em "Inuit", not Eskimo.

LuvCampinelli

[14]Nov 24, 2010
    • level: 8

sizz_leteen wrote:
    Paige is second-generation at least, but Manny is first. In Venus, her father talks about "sacrificing everything to come to this country". And here, we call 'em "Inuit", not Eskimo.

Manny Santos was born Aug 15, 1989 in Manila, Philippines (COA).

Of course, that would mean that Manny wouldn't turn 18 until after she graduated from DCS (6/07) but....those DTNG writers Frown

sizz_leteen

[15]Nov 24, 2010
    LuvCampinelli wrote:

sizz_leteen wrote:

Manny Santos was born Aug 15, 1989 in Manila, Philippines (COA).

Of course, that would mean that Manny wouldn't turn 18 until after she graduated from DCS (6/07) but....those DTNG writers Frown

Even better. She could pass for a mixed girl, but looking at her parents, and then at her...no way she's full-on Filipina.

vgplaya89

[16]Nov 26, 2010
    This is less an opinion and more something that grinds my gears, lol.

I hate how Eclaire's popularity is overshadowing the actual show now. their scene in Halo part 2 was romantic, but it irked me, because they had basically no focus in the episode, then they randomly get a 2 minute scene that serves no purpose to the plot. It seems like 1/3 of their fanbase just started watching the show at TBP. like, if you talk to some of them, they'll say outlandish things like "they're the best Degrassi couple ever" "I wouldnt care if every A plot was Clare and Eli from now on" "I might stop watching if they break up."

I can't wait to see the backlash when they break up. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy them as a couple (variably), but they're getting way overpushed lately, but this could be blamed more on Clare becoming the new "main" character/Writers' Pet, usurping that crown from Emma.

Going by Degrassi statistics, Clare has a better chance of ending up with Peter in the endgame than she does with Eli.

basenji529

[17]Nov 27, 2010

sizz_leteen wrote:

But...not all Eskimos are Inuit.

By the way, "Inuit" means "men". By all rights, there is no such thing as "an Inuit". And as for the other part of that, nobody who has ever dated Emma can call himself a man. Even Sean. Especially Sean.

Either way, I claim N-word privileges as a dogeater.

vgplaya89

[18]Nov 27, 2010
    Sean was actually my favorite Degrassi character ever before Season 6. now he's just dead to me.

basenji529

[19]Nov 28, 2010

This is for unpopular opinions. That's pretty much universal everywhere other than the-n.com, which isn't in the universe anyway. It's a black hole of suck.

vgplaya89

[20]Nov 28, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

This is for unpopular opinions. That's pretty much universal everywhere other than the-n.com, which isn't in the universe anyway. It's a black hole of suck.

I know, I was just responding to the above poster's post. lol.

Also, people get on Season 8/9's case for "worse acting" yet the old cast's acting didn't get remotely consistent till like Season 3 or 4, outside of Jake Epstein and a couple others.