Degrassi: The Next Generation

Gangsta Gangsta

Aired Daily 9:00 PM Oct 22, 2003 on Much Music

• Sean is enticed to a life of petty crime, and Toby blackmails JT. this is one of my favorite episodes.

Main Plot: Since Snake has cancer, and she has to babysit as well, Emma hasnt had much time for Sean lately. As they slowly drift apart, enter new characters Jay, his girlfriend Alex, and their sidekick Towerz. as the episode goes on, Sean goes from clashing with Jay and his gang, to fitting right in with them. Eventually, it gets to the point where Sean has to make a life-altering choice: Emma, or Jay's gang.

Subplot: JT has been ditching Toby to hang out with the popular kids lately. JT ends up sleeping over his house, and having a very "interesting" dream about Liberty. Toby uses this information to make JT get him a seat at the popular table for lunch.

I loved this episode, because it gave Sean some character development. it feels like Emma holds him down throughout the series. the episode also introduced my 2nd favorite male character, Jay, and series mainstay Alex, who had next to no lines at this point in the series. the subplot was mildly funny as well, and kind of examined JT and Toby's friendship at the time.