Degrassi: The Next Generation

If This Is It

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jun 16, 2008 on Much Music

• With his grades in jeopardy, Spinner has to choose between Studz and studying. (Incidentally, that's what this episode would be called if Jane Austen were the head writer.) Manny gets accepted into Smithdale, but also gets an offer to act on a TV show.

It's not often that Degrassi does two separate plots with the same issue covered in both. On one hand, you feel like they're cutting corners, but on the other, it's interesting to see how different people would handle the same issue. Let's start with the Emma and Manny plot. Manny and Emma are two friends who have stuck together from beginning to end, through thick and thin, so it would be a real shame if they were forced apart. However, Manny really wants to accept the acting job, so it looks as though there may be trouble in paradise. I don't know why there were no changing rooms at the TV studio, or whether or not that's accurate, but it seems to me that that's a good way to insure that the upper crust of the acting society never agrees to work for you. I guess they were trying highlight the fact that you have to do some pretty unpleasant things to get noticed in the acting business. (Things that would earn you bracelet from Jay) I did like the accurate points though, like how cast and crew hate getting tied down to one show, because it narrows their scope of options when they need to look for a new job. I guess the point of this story was that television is a fickle mistress, one day your show's on top of the world, the next, it's off the air, and everyone's suddenly out of the job. So stay in school, get an education, and work will never be in short supply. As for Spinner, I can totally sympathize with him in the scene where he was trying to study, but the drums kept on playing in his head, sometimes it's just impossible to concentrate. He decides to focus all his his effort on winning a Battle of the Bands with the Studz, figuring he can just do 12th grade over again if he fails. This means that if Studz falls through, Spinner will have nothing, and lo and behold, they flop. Again, I liked the real-world accuracies. Just one bad performance can spell the end of a small band. If there was a talent agent in the audience, they just scared him away, and who knows when the next one will come along? I guess the point of this story was that the music industry is a fickle mistress, one day your band's on top of the world... Wait, haven't I heard that somewhere before? Oh right, I said the exact same thing about the other plot.

That was one of my major gripes with this episode, the fact that both plots dealt with the exact same thing happening to two different people, and then both of them making the same decision. I would have much preferred to see one of them chase their dreams a little bit further, to the point where going back becomes difficult.

All in all, this episode was a lot more preachy than the average Degrassi, with two separate plots that shouted out the same message. Still I particularly liked the storylines themselves, watching Spinner and Manny on their paths to self-discovery was well worth my time, so this episode definitely worthy of a 9 out of 10.

However, this was supposed to be the episode where the characters set a good example. With that in mind, I have to deduct a few points because of Jimmy, who showed us a way to pull the fire alarm without getting caught.