Degrassi: The Next Generation

Tears Are Not Enough, Part One

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 16, 2003 on Much Music

• Craigs dad returns

"Tears Are Not Enough" Part 1 is a fantastic Degrassi episode. I love how intense this episode gets. Craig's father returns in this episode saying that he's changed and so Craig gives him chance. Everything seems to be going fine when they have dinner together and he helps him study. But then it gets all intense when Craig doesn't want to move back in with him, and so he pushes Craig to the ground. It's so heartbreaking to see Craig bleeding on the ground. The subplot was nice and enjoyable and balances out the intense scenes in this episode. I love how Liberty blackmails JT into going out with her if she's going to be his tutor. I give this episode a 10/10.
  • Craig's Dad (part 1)

In this episode, Craig is struggling to pass his finals when he recieves a suprise visit from his dad, wanting to get involved in his life again, saying he's changed. They then meet up and study/reconcile their relationship. However, Craig's dad wants him and Craig to move back to London (his original home) but Craig doesn't want to, as he's happy with his life. Craig's dad then... hits him again. Wow, yet another sad episode. There's something about Craig that makes him very likeable and sympathetic, and here it works well. Lets hope part 2 lives up to part 1. 10/10 A+
  • Lost Father

This was part one of a two parter where I actually felt bad for the character Craig from begining to end. Jake is at his best in his acting, we sort of emphisize with the same feelings that Craig feels when he sees his own father again. Craig is suffering from a bit of post tramatic stress from his bad experences in his relationship with his dad. From the simplest thing which is not putting a coster underneath his drink, Craig in a flash remembers what that lead to and we see that look of shock, you get the feeling Craig has been slaped with a belt from that very simple thing a lot.

But just like Craig we want actually want both him and his father to make peace and start things anew in their relationship. After all the father did say he actually was going to a counceling session about his psychological anger management problems. So it make's Craig father possibly deserving of forgiveness. But unfortunately tragidy strikes when Craig's father blows it, when he tries to control Craig's life again by trying to take him away from both Degrassi and his step-father Joey. Craig in his good nature refuses (good for him) and of course both Craig and the father have an ugly fight which lead to the father hitting Craig again. Right then and there I knew it was all over, the father lost Craig forever, the father had a chance for redemption and he failed. And of course it leads to a tragic demise for Craig's dad when he's out of the picture for good. Just like Craig we don't really feel completely bad about it but it doesn't make things any easier instead it makes things just as hard, my heart actually bleaded for Craig at that point; the knowledge of a father who might have been a good person but failed as a father and is now forever lost.
  • Craig\'s dad comes to visit him and school. They meet for dinner. The next day he goes to his dad to help him study. And after Craig aces his final, he and his dad get into an argument and his dad hits him again. Then his dad gets killed in a car accident

This was one of my favorite episodes ever. I wanted to cry because i felt so bad for Craig and everything he had been through. It just seemed like his dad was doing so well and that everything would be okay, but then he hit him and I knew then it was over. And then his dad died, I mean come on, hasn't he gone through enough for one episode!!!