Degrassi: The Next Generation

The Power Of Love

Aired Daily 9:00 PM Apr 05, 2004 on Much Music

7.8
  • It's Degrassi's end-of-the-year dance.

"The Power of Love" is a great Degrassi season finale! Even though I love intense season finales, I also enjoy the light-hearted season finales. It was entertaining to watch Jimmy try make the end of the year dance perfect. I love how it just ended up being a disaster. I enjoyed the subplot of Sean trying to make things right with Mr. Simpson by confessing that he stole Mr. Simpson's laptop. My favourite part of this episode was the end of the episode. I know they've done this with Degrassi Junior High but I love how Degrassi caught on fire. It was probably the only intense moment in this episode, but it was still awesome. I give this episode a 9/10.
  • It was Alright

I liked Sean's plot, him trying to get Mr. Simpson to forgive him, but that was about the only thing I liked and that was only a couple minutes of the plot. Jimmy and Hazel's plot was alright I guess. Overall, for a finale, they could have probably done a lot more. I mean after a finale you have to wait a couple/few months for more episodes, so you would think the writers would end it with a bang. Overall, it wasn't great but it was pretty good I guess, my overall grade for this episode is a C+ or so
  • The season three finale was kind of disapointing.

7.2
    In general, I thought this episode was very good. It was funny, dramatic, and had many surprises. However, as a season finale, I thought it was disappointing. It was only a thirty minute episode and it had many small, light plots instead of one big intense one. The ending just kind of left the me with a plain, simple reaction. For example, season one's "Jagged Little Pill" left Ashley losing all of her friends after taking drugs, and leaving the viewer in suspense of what would happen to the gang next season. Season two's "Tears Are Not Enough" left you feeling sorry for Craig, but happy that he and Ashley were interacting, and wondering what would happen with them next season. The ending for "The Power of Love" just left us with everyone dancing, mainly focusing on Sean. But even though I wasn't totally impressed with this episode, I can tell season 4 is going to be incredible.
  • The year-end dance is near and Jimmy wants to make everything perfect for Hazel, but things don't go as planned. Snake helps Sean pass his class, only for Sean to confess to stealing his alienware.

4.8
    It's really sad when the subplot of an episode is better than the main plot. The main plot follows Jimmy, Hazel, Spinner and Paige as they prepare for "Bollywood Nights", and things don't go as well as Jimmy wanted them to. He gets the wrong outfit, he rents a crappy limo, he has to pay for the meals Paige and Spinner skipped out on in "I Want Candy", and they arrive to the dance in a cop car. Boo hoo. Jimmy is one of my favorite characters, but this episode was nothing more than watching Jimmy make faces and whine about how bad the night was going, and he was too busy having a Jimmy pity party to realize that Hazel WAS having a good time regardless of what was happening.

The only saving grace of this episode was that Sean finally confessed to stealing Snake's laptop. I think Snake handled it pretty well; actually better than most people would. I also liked how Snake gave Sean a second chance, taking into consideration everything Sean has gone through.

Overall this episode was a dud compared to the rest of the season. Even the fire scene which was an obvious remake of the Degrassi Junior High episode "Bye Bye Junior High" was lame. The finales for seasons 1 and 2 were great...what happened?