Degrassi: The Next Generation

Underneath It All, Part One

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 24, 2012 on Much Music

6.2
  • Fiona's back, new freshmen, and Cake

"Underneath It All Part One" was a good episode, but not the best episode. I love that Fiona is back from rehab. It was really hard to see her chase after popularity after all her character development in season 10 and the first part of season 11. I really didn't like Fiona becoming friends with Katie and Marisol. I do love how they decided to pull a Senior Prank. I love how they covered everything in tinfoil. I just couldn't believe how they would leave Imogen inside the school. I love the introduction of Maya, Tori, Tristan, and Zig. It's interesting how Tori tells Maya that Zig is the type of guy who dates girls then ditches them. Clare and Jake dating is still creepy and the episode gives the feeling that it's not going to last. I give this episode a 8/10.
  • Fiona wants to have a fresh start by making new friends. The niners have their first day at Degrassi. Claire discusses sex with Jake.

Overall I would say that there were good parts and bad parts to this episode. A couple good parts were the character developments of Fiona and Imogen because they foreshadow how the both of them are going to have a close relationship in the future. So far, we've seen Imogen as a "boxed-in" character and in this episode we finally start to see the emotion that she has which is good. I found it cruel how Fiona started making new friends by pushing her old ones away and that she left Imogen behind after the seniors did the prank.

Also, this episode was partly interesting because it gave us an insight to how most of the seniors we know are insensitive, rude, and stuck-up, e.g. Marisol. So I'm glad the writers did not waste any time sugarcoating that.

The other good part was surprisingly the introduction of the niners. I honestly thought it was going to be a disaster but they did pretty good. I was surprised that the new character Maya was nice given that her sister is Katie Matlin.

Now, the bad parts of the episode. I seriously have never been a fan of the "Cake" shipping and this episode proves that. I understand that Clare has had boyfriends dump her and vice versa but that is still no reason to want to have sex and especially when it is with your step-brother -.- The whole discussion between Clare and Jake about sex was just so awkward and it showed how both of them are not meant to be. The good thing is that Cake will be breaking up soon but we have to wait until the last episode for Eclare to happen again =/

In general, this was an average episode and it could have been way better in some areas because this is Degrassi's ELEVENTH season we're talking about.