Degrassi: The Next Generation

We Got The Beat

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 18, 2008 on Family

7.9
  • Manny's 18th b-day is coming out and she does whatever it takes to convince her dad that acting is her passion.

"We Got The Beat" isn't the best Degrassi episode, but it does show that Degrassi can be humourous instead of serious all the time. In this episode, Manny tries to sabotage her 18th birthday party. I love how her parents are more accepting of Manny. I just love how Manny asks Jay to be his date to ruin her party. I love how Jay acts like the perfect gentleman and her parents actually like Jay. I love how Manny's father is allowing Manny to become an actor. In the subplot Ashley reveals to Jimmy that she deleted his rap on the demo and they get into a fight. I don't think Ashley should have told Jimmy about deleting his rap on the demo. I think she should have gotten a music producer and then leave Jimmy with nothing. I give this episode a 8.5/10.
  • It definitely does not go there.

Okay so this episode, was probably the low point of the season. Jimmy meets Trina, as everything is out in the open, about Ashley deleting Jimmy's track. She deserved everything that Jimmy said to her. But I think he was being way too defensive, when he was talking to Griffin, so what, wheelchair can be an image. That's who he is, as he said to Trina. I'm not sure what I think of Trina just yet. I'm just glad they didn't add her to the theme song. Manny's plot was pathetic, for an A plot, no go there moments whatsoever. Yes, her dad accepts her now, something that could of been resolved as a B plot. The only development was the Manny/Jay interaction. I liked the Sean mention. Everything else was just so ugh.
  • Manny becomes 18 and wants to make her own decisions...kinda boring but still kinda entertainig.

7.7
    Okay. While this episode was one of the more tamed episodes of Degrassi, it was fair. Manny wants to make her own decisions now that she is 18 but her controlling father doesn't think she is ready. Manny starts to take things into her own hands when she tries to make her parents worry about something else instead of planning out Manny's future not accordingto Manny's plans. Manny takes Jay to her Daybo (i know i did not spell that right, but whatever). The only thing is that her parents like Jay. So Manny decides to put her acting skills to work and makes her dad reconsider Manny's future. This is a mediocore A plot that is only slightly entertaining. But the B plot was more entertainig to watch. Jimmy is trying to walk again and he meets a new girl, Trinia who is also having trouble with her legs. Jimmy also finds out Ashley deleted his rap on the cool "Tell Me Lies" track. I think they break up...I think. Then Jimmy disses Griffin...thank you and then finds a potential new girlfriend in Trinia. A plot was okay, the B plot was better, but still it was a very "tamed" episode of Degrassi.
  • Best of Season 7. Low key episode "goes there" when it comes to characterization rather than wallowing in politically correct preachiness. DAY-BOO pronunciation provides comic relief for US viewers. Some screen time for D-N-G's all-time queen: Ashley!!

Best Season Seven episode thus far. Manny is at her most appealing, and she gets a chance to "act" on several levels. Jay exudes a lot of deviish charm, and surprisingly deviates from the role Manny has planned for him. Evil Daddy Santos breaks out of his previous one-dimensional portrayal. Ashley gets some screen time and proves she is still Degrassi's uber-diva. Jimmy continues treating her like dirt- apparently the bullet trauma has affected his clear thinking! I know the writers are trying to make a point that she is cramping his independence and self esteem, but let's face it, she is a stone fox, and in real life, he would find some way to work it out! As another reviewer has pointed out, this is a thankfully "low-intensity" episode that actually allows some character development. Wish the writers would give us more of these! Griffen gets to chew up a little scenery advising Jimmy on record-biz strategy, essentially reprising his "Question-Mark" schtick from RFR (and I mean that in a good way-this cat is a charismatic actor [don't let the bad 'fro fool ya] and hasn't had much to do on Degrassi) TOP NOTCH D-N-G. Now, if they'll only bring back Spinner's little sister, Mr. Raditch, plus-size dreamgirl Terri, and the Lunch Lady! Oh yeah, and let Jimmy walk again (and not just in a web-i-sode dream sequence)!
  • Manny and Jay. Hmm... I wonder how long this will last?

Manny and Jay. Hmm... I wonder how long this will last? They don't seem like a very likely couple, but I don't know. Maybe it will end up working. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. Dang, I felt so bad for Jimmy in this episode. :( He wanted the best for Ashley and totally saved her butt on stage that day, and all she can think about is her career. She's so selfish at times and just doesn't care about her guy when he's been really good to her. He wasn't about to steal her chance at making it big. I wish she could have seen that.
  • Manny and Jay - the perfect unlikely match. Jimmy and Ashley - just not meant for each other. Not every Degrassi episode needs to be 100% intense 100% of the time.

Not every Degrassi episode needs to be 100% intense 100% of the time. I loved this episode, for its lighter tone after an episode like Death Or Glory; and unlike S6 of Degrassi, this is setting things up slowly, things that'll take place the whole season. Manny's finally taking center stage, after having nothing to do in S6, and Jay is (thankfully) along for the ride (I'm pretty sure he did even less significant things in S6 than Manny). This begins a long thread of storylines involving Manny & Jay (that will likely resolve in We Got The Beat or shortly thereafter), and continues the very interesting Jimmy & Ashley tension storyline. Sure, this may not be the go-there-est of Degrassi episodes, but with Darcy's rape and Spinner's cancer, I'm thankful for this lighter tone.
  • Manny is turning 18.

Yeah i didnt like this episode, it was very un-original and out of charecter. The writers must not have anything good to give to us, because this was probably the worst episode of this season. We've seen Manny rebel way too much and this was just not entertaining at all. Plus Manny And Jay, Ewww thats a disgusting couple. I expected a lot more from this episode but what do we get...Crap! I think Carrie from One Tree Hill was more entertaining than this, i would rather watch someone's pole dancing lessons than watch another crappy stupid manny episode. Come on Degrassi Get Real!