Degrassi: The Next Generation

We Got The Beat

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 18, 2008 on Much Music

7.9
  • Best of Season 7. Low key episode "goes there" when it comes to characterization rather than wallowing in politically correct preachiness. DAY-BOO pronunciation provides comic relief for US viewers. Some screen time for D-N-G's all-time queen: Ashley!!

Best Season Seven episode thus far. Manny is at her most appealing, and she gets a chance to "act" on several levels. Jay exudes a lot of deviish charm, and surprisingly deviates from the role Manny has planned for him. Evil Daddy Santos breaks out of his previous one-dimensional portrayal. Ashley gets some screen time and proves she is still Degrassi's uber-diva. Jimmy continues treating her like dirt- apparently the bullet trauma has affected his clear thinking! I know the writers are trying to make a point that she is cramping his independence and self esteem, but let's face it, she is a stone fox, and in real life, he would find some way to work it out! As another reviewer has pointed out, this is a thankfully "low-intensity" episode that actually allows some character development. Wish the writers would give us more of these! Griffen gets to chew up a little scenery advising Jimmy on record-biz strategy, essentially reprising his "Question-Mark" schtick from RFR (and I mean that in a good way-this cat is a charismatic actor [don't let the bad 'fro fool ya] and hasn't had much to do on Degrassi) TOP NOTCH D-N-G. Now, if they'll only bring back Spinner's little sister, Mr. Raditch, plus-size dreamgirl Terri, and the Lunch Lady! Oh yeah, and let Jimmy walk again (and not just in a web-i-sode dream sequence)!