Degrassi: The Next Generation

When Doves Cry, Part One

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Sep 29, 2002 on Much Music

• Craig's the new kid at Degrassi.

"When Doves Cry" Part 1 is an excellent episode. I love the introduction of the character Craig. He's kind of a crazy guy from the beginning he's introduced, but it's not his fault. It's heartbreaking that his father abuses him. This is the episode where the Degrassi plots get a little more intense dealing with issues such as abusive parents. I love how Sean becomes friends with Emma and Sean. I love the subplot with J.T deciding that he wants to date an older women and he chooses Paige. It's funny because she's way out of his league. I give this episode a 10/10.
  • perfect

it was quite risky, i think, to make the first episode of the second season about a character we just meet, but it worked. craig, a new student at degrassi, is beaten up by his father when he disobeys. he is too scared to tell anyone. will he work up the courage before things go too far?

like i said, risky to make the first episode of the season about a character we just met, but they made it work quite well, i think. overall my grade for this episode, you probably already guessed, is an A+. a perfect opener
  • Craig (part 1)

In this episode, school is back in session, and Degrassi is changed to accomedate middle schoolers and high schoolers, one of them being Craig Manning, the step-son of Joey Jeremiah. IT turns out that Craig has a step-sister named Angela (Joey's son) whom Craig's father has forbid Craig from seeing. Later, while Craig's at a party, his dad finds all the pictures he's taken of her, and when he returns, Craig is beaten. This episode was really sad, I mean I feel for Craig as I have a step-sister too (luckily I have good relations with her and rest of family) and if I was forbid from seeing her I'd do what he did too. Craig's dad is manical jerk, I mean he loves his step-sister, so he gets beaten? This episode might be the best so far in the series, and lets hope part 2 lives up to part 1. 10/10 A+
  • good ep

Craig goes to Degrassi for the first time and he is abused by his dad. Him and Sean becomes friends and his abuses him when he discovers pictures of Angela in his red room. This episode makes me cry every time I see it. I can't really relate to it because my parents don't abuse me but I know someone who has a dad that does. If anybody watches this episode and doesn't cry then they just don't have a heart because even if you don't go through what he went through then at least imagine what he went through and be grateful that you don't go through it. I really love this episode because it's episodes like this that will make you realize that you should be grateful that you have people that care about you.
  • gd

When Degrassi expands their school by merging with a neighbouring high school, accepting Grades 9-12 students, the school faces budget problems. The kids must share lockers, and use limited supplies. Joey Jeremiah's troubled stepson, Craig, begins to spy on him and his daughter, Angela, taking photos of "The Perfect Family", which includes, Joey, Angela, and himself. At school, he gets reacquainted with Emma - who babysits Angela, and becomes best friends with Sean. Toby creates a new "Isaacs System", which determines what chance you have with getting a date with a woman. J.T. decides to go for older women, and chooses Paige to be his date, as a challenge.
    Things started getting rough when Joey notices Craig spying on his daughter. Paige accepts money to go on a date with J.T. Joey calls Craig's father and tells him that Craig has been hanging around Angela, which upsets Craig's father. Joey believes that Craig and Angela should be able to play around together, but Craig's father disapproves of it. Craig is invited by Emma to join a party with Angela, and Craig suddenly walks away when Joey arrives.
  • Turning point.

Definitely a turning point in the series. First off, the obvious, the new kid, Craig. Craig ends up being a major character in future episodes, often having more episodes in a given season than Emma. This also differentiates the series from the original <i>Degrassi</i>. <i>TNG</i> is a lot darker, focusing on characters with a dark past over characters who think 'child abuse' is a jean jacket.

Secondly, the character development. Craig's already starting with a lot of issues. (Bonus points for not having Craig be a stereotypical abuse victim: Craig's actually very social, albeit in his 'tortured artist' way.) This also foreshadows one of those issues, and one of Sean's issues, very well.
  • Falling Down

This two parter was what finally made the show find it's footing. Season 1 was alright but rather tame, because at the time the characters and some plot lines weren't completely fleshed out. As usual with TV, shows always get better as it progresses further thoughout the years. This is the debut of my favorate character in the whole show Craig. We see though the perspective of Craig and feel heavy pathos for him from begining to end. Craig thoughout the two parter is just trying to have a good life and he does this by trying to establish healthy connections he needs very much in his life. From friends like Emma and Sean, to even his step-dad Joey and his half sister Angelia. These are defenantly positive forces that entered his life, Joey is the dad Craig should've had and Angelia's a sister he should of had a close bond with. But the tragedy of the whole situation is Craigs relationship with his father which is very bad.

I winced and was shocked to see the phycial and psycholical abuse Craig had to go though each and every dad. And absolutely hated his father who I thought was a real jerk. The dad seems to be a person with anger issues and a control complex where everything always has to go his way. Even the physical characteristics the suit with the hair slicked back and glasses sort of reflected his psyche showed how tightly wound up the guy is. Despite what Craig goes though like any son he still loves his dad, as if he's hanging on to a very small shred of hope that his father will get better and stop the abuse. But however their is a hatred for him that is just building up inside him, you feel that if Craig's dad crosses a certain line then it's over. At times you see Craig wants to tell his friends or even Joey but the truth never seems to come out because he feels no one would believe him or understand, although from his facial expression or little cracks of emotion in his voice the characters sense something is wrong. Thoughout those moments I couldn't help but find myself saying, tell them Craig they'll believe you or please help him guys Craig is hurting.

And Craig's father does, when he sabatoshes Craig's relationship with Joey and Angie, just seeing the hurt on Craig's face when Joey told him he couldn't see them made my heart sink. And the desent gets worse as rubs a little of his internal anger toward his friends damaging his frienship with them. Craig's dad has litterally destroyed his life and at that moment I knew that was the final straw.

It just goes to show how awful abuse is for kids and the scars it creates which never heal.
  • Welcome to Degrassi Craig.

In the second season premiere, "When Doves Cry" is a nice introduction to a new era to "Degrassi: The Next Generation". The reason why I classify it like that is because not only is a new character, Craig, introduced to us in the episode, we also get to follow the new generation of Degrassi students start Grade 9 in the same halls they were in during Grades 7 and 8.

What I liked about Craig's storyline was how we slowly learn that he has an abusive father who won't allow him to see his half-sister or the other members of his mother's new family. I thought it was really thoughtful of Emma to help Craig see his sister Angie after school got out, since she saw how much he cares for her. However, things begin getting a little sticky for all the parties involved, thanks to Mr. Manning confronting Joey about not wanting Craig to see either Angie or Joey, something Joey tells Craig about when he arrives at Spike's birthday party, causing Craig to run away from the party.

Meanwhile, as the other students at Degrassi begin their school year, Paige begins complaining about how horrible her hair looks and laments about not having enough cash to have it fixed. With this problem of Paige's, I find it quite comical that Toby challenges J.T. to take her on a date. The reason why I found it to be comical has to do with Hazel and Spinner offering to pay Paige the remaining cash she needed to get her hair fixed, which thoroughly repulsing Paige.

In all, these are a few reasons why I found this installment of “When Doves Cry” to be very entertaining and a nice introduction to a new season of Degrassi: The Next Generation.
  • Craig goes to Degrassi for the first time and he is abused by his dad. Him and Sean becomes friends and his abuses him when he discovers pictures of Angela in his red room.

• Craig gets abused by his father. Paige is paid to go on a date with JT.

This was the first episode of Degrassi I ever watched, and the fact that I\\\'m now in love with the series 4 years later shows what I thought of it. For Jake\\\'s first episode and being what, 14, his acting was phenomenal. I felt very much for Craig\\\'s character and it was a great way to introduce someone who would become a huge character on the show. I liked the friendship he struck up with Sean (even though it kinda disappeared later on) and Emma (also kinda fizzled out) and how they helped Joey find out what was going on. This also made me really like Joey\\\'s character. Taking on a teenage son is a huge deal especially one who has been through what Craig has.

The subplot was okay. It started up the JT crush on Paige which would continue for the rest of the season. I liked their relationship throughout the season, especially in How Soon Is Now. I thought it was a little OOC for Paige to apologize to JT at the end, as at this point she was still the \\\'hag\\\' of Degrassi.
  • A truly great episode

7.1
    This by far was one of the best episodes ever. There were a few better than it, but it is definitely up at the top. Jake Epstein does a really great job of creating an intriguing character that the audience can feel sorry for. Joey Jeremiah is also shown as a caring person and you really feel sorry for Craig throughout. Emma is annoying in the episode because she won't leave Craig alone and the whole part with Paige and JT is just filler; although it is kind of funny the lengths Paige will go to just for her looks. I felt bad for JT, but I felt awful for Craig. We really see that Craig could be a troubled teen because of how his father treats him.
  • One of the best in the series.

Sad and a taerjercker. A grate way to intrudes Craig. It all so showes thet Craig will never have it esiey. It hits a tuchy subject but it dose it in a grate. It is of all one of the best episodes. The only problum is thet they cut out seans win they show it in the U.S. Sarry my spelling sucks!