Demons Forums

ITV (ended 2009)

I review Demons. Worst TV show ever

sean2evo

[1]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 8

Woeful in every way. Writing, Directing, Acting, Make up and concept which is as derived and unoriginal as they come. A ripoff of one of the best shows of all time - Buffy. And a disgraceful blemish on the backside of it, indeed. SKIP IT!

Almost worth watching because its funny how bad it is, ALMOST.

Woeful in every way. A sad day for Joss Whedon to have his television landmark creation Buffy, copied only to create this garbage. Buffy had humor, never took itself seriously. Characters you loved. Stories that meant something. And bad guys that carried some kind of weight. This show has nothing but badly done copies. Recycled ideas, phrases and situations. And Karate doing bear-faced man-shaped guys in hoodies doing flips. Pathetic.

The script was the worst written load of excrement tailored together with layer upon layer of cliched expressions and then expelled by actors with about as much talent and emotion as a block of wood. Luke is eye candy, nothing more. No talent as an actor. His reactions to lifechanging events, to seeing that monsters are real, was nonexistant. He may as well have shrugged or yawned. Ruby and Mena are equally as useless.

Rupert (Giles.. errrr) and his abysmal American accent, comes out with a few of the most cliched and unbelievably tired one liners in the history of entertainment... "use the force luke"?? "shazam"?? It was nauseating. If i had to hear him say "smite" one more time I think I would have thrown something at my screen.

The exposition was lackluster and unoriginal. The bad guys were laughable. The plot lines thinner then Nicole Richie. The characters and relationships, not even one dimensional. There was nothing about this show that was not painful to watch. SKIP IT!

If Buffy the show was a living entity it would be rolling in its grave right about now. And that phrase isn't half as cliched as the entire written dialogue of Demons. Without question the worst TV show I have ever seen.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

happy-days-4-sr

[2]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 14
    this should go in the reviews, not the forum. i find it saddening you feel so dissappointed with the show, i rather like it.

sean2evo

[3]Jan 16, 2009
    Ya it did go in the reviews. But I felt so strongly about it I had to drop a thread in the forums as well. This sad butchering of Buffy was a train wreck in every single way.

I've seen kids in Halloween outfits that were more frightening then the demons in this show, and amateur actors portray a role more convincingly. As for them just being eye-candy; none of the actors are that super gorgeous that looks should have outweighed actual acting ability to get the roles. It fell flat in every way and I was quite disappointed as I enjoyed BBCs new take on Merlin and was expecting something decent out of this.

Gladius Thripps nose, Ruperts one-liners, Lukes block of wood emotional reactions to life changing events;; need i say more.

minisin

[4]Jan 16, 2009
    "I felt so strongly" tends to mean "I wanted more attention for it"

belial_77

[5]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 17

K.

this is nothing like Buffy, so why compare the two? b/c the main character hunts supernatural baddies? that is a common plot summary for many shows, books, comics, etc... nearly since the narritive was invented! You don't hear me sayin how Buffy was nothing but a modernized retelling of the Gilgamesh Epic do you?

Thrip's nose @ first got on my nerves, then I realized it an etched nose-guard prob crafted out of bone... it still got on my nerves, but more in the way David Lynch's baddies have a kinda odd thing like that...

I admit, the 1st epi was not really all that impressive... but I can see potential for the series. I'm sure the series will be spotty, but many of the underlying ideas will prob be new takes on tired subjects... much like Primeval... the plots, for the most part, are poorly written... as well dialog... BUT they have some really cool concepts concering time travel mixed in...

happy-days-4-sr

[6]Jan 17, 2009
    totally agree with all you've said, belial! *applauds*. this show may not be iconic but it has potential and personally i'm gonna give it the chance to shine. its good saturday night viewing either way.

Angeluskamps

[7]Jan 18, 2009
    Demons is a great show, this is Van Helsing not Buffy. Van Helsing is an older story then Buffy so no rip-off. I love Buffy, but also this show is pretty good, I don't get it why people don't like a good show like this one. It has nice actors, cool demons/monsters and nice story's!

djhanley

[8]Jan 19, 2009

I really dont understand why Demons would ever be compared to buffy when there has been so many shows before and after Buffy which deal with all things supernatural. Ok so this may not be the greatest show and it does have flaws but i would hardly call it the worst show ever. I definately think that the episodes are improving each week.

Maybe your expectations were too high for this series and you watched expecting blockbuster CGI demons with award winning acting and writing when you should just take the show for what it is a decent enough series to watch on a saturday evening!

GotalSaiyajin

[9]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 34
    I love Demons. For me it is a great show. It's your opinion that this show is bad and I respect it, but I don't agree.

sean2evo

[10]Jan 20, 2009
    Angeluskamps wrote:
    Demons is a great show, this is Van Helsing not Buffy. Van Helsing is an older story then Buffy so no rip-off. I love Buffy, but also this show is pretty good, I don't get it why people don't like a good show like this one. It has nice actors, cool demons/monsters and nice story's!

Come on, lol. The demons/monsters are less realistic or scary then the masks you see kids in on Halloween. Instead of attacking and killing they stand around spouting cliche phrases that mas as well have been you cant stop me! Just because Van Helsing is an older story doesn't mean that the idea of a chosen one - slayer line/van helsing decendant, has anything to do with the original Bram Stoker story. It's just a derivative. The actors are terrible, if you think they're 'nice' then you haven't seen an actor with actual talent.

Hmmm. My expectations were not high at all. I tell you what. Re-watch the pilot, and listen carefully to the dialogue. I think you'll notice that its without question the worst written pile of garbage to ever land on the airwaves. The only new thing they had in dialogue, instead of "Kill the Demons" they changed it to "Smite thee, fiends". Sigh lol, I give up arguing this. If you guys want to waste your time watching this garbage I can't stop you but anyone with reasonable taste in entertainment would know what a pile of excrement this show is. If you like the idea of this show, rather watch Supernatural, or the X-files, or Buffy/Angel. Trust me, there's plenty out there thats better than this.

heroesfan07

[11]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 21
    I thought it was good.I admit it isn't amazing but it is interesting and the characters are fun.It's very like Buffy which is good.

belial_77

[12]Jan 23, 2009

See, that's where your messin up... your comparing it to some of the classics of the supernatural genre... it is no-where near that... and the dialog is rather bad...

BUT, as I said, I was expecting sumpn on par w/ ITV's other property "Primeval"... and I'm expecting the same things out of this as I got of it... bad dialog, sloppy writing... but interesting twists on old stples of the genre...

***Primeval Spoils***

For example, in primeval... while each epi wasn't spectacular, and dialog ws rubbish... they had the balls to do things other sci-fi hadn't before... at the end of S1, the lead actor travels back in time to stop the big bad... once he gets back to the present, the time line has completely changed... he's not sure what exactlly he did, but he's the only one that remembers the old timeline, everyone is different, and one major character is missing all together!

Now, plenty of Sci-fi shows have had similar one-offs... but this wasn't a one-off... the next series takes place completely inside the new time line... nothing is "fix" to how it was before...

***End***

that's the kinda thing I think this show w/ play with in the future... things int he genre that other shows haven't had the balls to pull off...

that make any sense?

Britgirlrnr

[13]Jan 25, 2009

I've seen far worse and most of it came out of America. I agree with others in this thread, the programme is nothing like Buffy. The one thing I didn't like was Galvin's american accent. I suppose we had to have an american character so that it could be sold to the US.

sean2evo

[14]Jan 27, 2009
    Britgirlrnr wrote:

I've seen far worse and most of it came out of America. I agree with others in this thread, the programme is nothing like Buffy. The one thing I didn't like was Galvin's american accent. I suppose we had to have an american character so that it could be sold to the US.

Name a show thats "far worse" than this steaming pile of excrement. Name some, i'd love to hear it lol. And you cant sincerely believe that the fact that they put an embarrassingly bad American accent on ol' Rupert that any American broadcaster will purchase and air this garbage. Theres no way this gets a second season and theres no way it makes it into syndication.

AegisAtreyu

[15]Jan 27, 2009
    Worst show ever! You obviously haven't seen the Flash Gordon TV series.

As for Buffy I see the similarities (which are many including the library/A foreign character called Rupert/A friend that fancies the main protagonist i.e. like Xander) but unlike yourself I quite enjoy the show and it's getting better by the episode, etching out the mythology and back story. It feels a bit flat at times and The Hyena Hoodies have been watching too much Britannia High by the looks of it but given it's time slot it tries, and can be fun.

One thing though that it definitely needs to change is it's theme tune. Catchy it may be but serious or relevant it is not. The first line after a cheerful whistle being 'We're cooking Monsters in the Kitchen' or something like that.

djhanley

[16]Jan 29, 2009

AegisAtreyu wrote:
    The Hyena Hoodies have been watching too much Britannia High by the looks of it

lol i knew i saw those moves somewhere before!!

ja7767

[17]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 2

Well, take a look at the new knight rider. Now there is a show that is trying to photocopy a sucess.

As far as the "monsters" not being realistic looking, get a clue. Since we do not know what a monster really looks like, we use our imagniations to fill in the blank. Rather than waste a ton of time and effort (money), British TV has always made good use of TV watchers imagination. Just look at Doctor Who.

I think the show is trying to follow in a vein not dissimilar to Doctor Who. It is constantly not taking itself seriously and poking fun at itself. If you doubt this just listen to the theme song. It has the potential to be a pretty good little show. It is funny, has plot twists, and is interesting. Who would have thought that a vampire giving up their powers would make them blind? Which I personally find to be funny, quite a twist, and at least an intersesting thought.

As far as the american accent, talk to a few americans that have been living in the UK for a decade or two. They have pretty odd accents too.

Masataka-kun

[18]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 1
    Demons is a pretty average show. However I think you are going way over the top with your criticisms. You sound like a Buffy fanboy.

All the actors in Demons are horrible? Philip Glennisters accent may not be spot on, but go watch Life on Mars and then tell me what a crap actor he is. Buffy didn't exactly have oscar winning performances either. For the most part is was teen-trash acting with tons cliche lines. Much better acting than Demons? I disagree. These are completely different shows I'm afraid. The only thing they have in common is the supernatural genre and a chosen one theme. Funnily enough there is only ONE chosen one in this story, yet in Buffy there are many slayers. But apparently thats EXACTLY the same thing to you. Buffy for brilliant (for awhile), Demons is OKAY but not anywhere near as bad as you make out my friend.

belial_77

[19]Feb 12, 2009
    Just finished the last epi fo the series... and wow! I wish the rest of the epis were as good... there were like 2 or 3 that were above average... the others, like the harpy epi, just seemed too fillery... what they need to do is work more on building the mythology of the series instead of takin the "monster fo the week" approach...

Pendragon_

[20]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 3

I can't disagree with this thread at all, the show was a major disappointment.

The material was highly uninspired and the characters were one dimensional and who on earth thought casting a good British actor and asking him to put on a fake American accent in a show set in Britain was a good idea?

I think what annoyed me the most was the inconsistency of style between the plot and "action" scenes. On one hand you have him constantly moaning about how this job is ruining his life trying to sound sincere, but you would be hard pressed to see if he ever had one. The scenes with his mother for example could have been removed without changing the episodes in the slightest, which is IMHO bad writing.

Then you have the fact that he is supposed to be this some how superior human, because he is an ancestor of van helsing yet they never adequately explain why this should be, because I'm not buying the whole "your genes are just plain better" than the entire planet thing. Additionally you constantly see him training for hand to hand combat, which usually turns out much more exciting to watch than gun fights. However when it finally gets down to fighting all they do is fire comedy goo bullets out of ridiculous looking guns and the people they fight against arn't allowed to shoot back, which doesn't even count as a gun fight let alone exciting. I'm not sure if this was supposed to funny or if they were trying to rip off the tongue-in-cheek style of Dr Who.

I admit the show did improve in the later episodes, but I still feel they kept making the same mistakes. I certainly don't blame the actors though as I imagine they did the best they could.

Edited on 02/14/2009 7:21am
    Edited 3 total times.