Dempsey and Makepeace

Armed and Extremely Dangerous

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Jan 11, 1985 on ITV

• There is chemistry between the leads but the story was a little too slow for my taste.

I've never seen or heard of this show until recently and thought I'd give it a try. Sadly, it was sort of hard for me to make it through it. I had to force myself to continue to be interested at a lot of parts. Some areas were good but few and far between. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of British shows but this one seem a little sub par to me. I'm used to detective shows like Moonlighting and Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Those two had great duos with wonderful chemistry like Dempsey and Makepeace. I like British shows like Doctor Who, Ashes to Ashes, and Red Dwarf but these other shows also have interesting secondary characters and great storylines. Dempsey and Makepeace lacked in those two things in my opinion. Also, even though I spent quite a lot of time with these partners I felt like I still know very little about them. They don't give you much to sympathize and/or relate to. I guess the writers may want to start off that way and give them mysterious personalities so that we can get to know them as we go along and that is good but there still has to be some kind of connection at the get go for the audience to cheer them on. I know we're suppose to sympathize with Dempsey because he was betrayed by his partner and sent to England under dubious circumstances but it somehow wasn't enough for me. On the other hand I was interested enough to follow through with it to an extent and I always felt like there was some damaged part of Dempsey we are not being told about. I don't know. Then there is Makepeace. She seemed most of time to just be the "oh look at me I'm a detective and a woman!" I felt we still know less about her than we know about Dempsey. Maybe they're setting us up for better character development and storylines. After all I really shouldn't be too harsh. Pilots can be the hardest because you have to hook the audience, introduce the characters, and set up the story. I might give this show a couple more chances before I give up on it.