Derren Brown: The Events

Friday 9:00 PM on Channel 4 Premiered Sep 09, 2009 Between Seasons

Derren Brown: The Events Fan Reviews (1)

6.6
  • With what started off well, turned out in the end to be a disappointing fail.

4.5
    I've always been a huge fan of Derren Brown's shows. The Heist and Russian Roulette are two specials that spring to mind when thinking of the brilliant mind-trickery. However, the new series called 'The Events' failed to please me in the end. The series started with 'How To Win The Lottery'. As we all predicted, Derren correctly 'guessed' all six of them. This was very impressing, but still left us confused at the end due to not knowing really how he went about doing it, as he gave us a few options to choose from.

Next, there was 'How To Control The Nation'. This was the most highly anticipated out of the four stunts. He was going to make people literally stick to their seats. Now, it didn't work for me personally, but many people claim to have been stuck. But for the people that didn't, it felt like a waste of an hour.

After that, there was 'How To Be A Psychic Spy'. In this, Derren tried to get the nation to draw something that cannot be seen. However, this was not live and he revealed that he put in the papers what to draw, but without them noticing. Another disappointment.

The most disappointing one was the last one, 'How To Best A Casino', In which Derren 'stole' £5000 from a random man without him remembering. He then went t a casino to bet on a roulette wheel, because he had become an expert on trajectory. If he had one the bet, the random an would have won £175 k. However, Derren was one number off and lost the man his £5000. The show ended with the words from a producer; 'Don't worry, we'll give you your money back'. Utter failure.

This all being said, some aspects in the tv show were interesting and clever, but nothing that we haven't seen before. Sort it out for next time, Derren!