Designing Women

101 Ways to Decorate a Gas Station

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Sep 14, 1987 on CBS

7.9
  • To attract more business to her firm, Julia holds a raffle, the prize being a room decorated by Sugarbaker's. She and her associates are very dismayed when they meet the winner.

I have TiVo'd this episode because I cannot find the VHS tape where it was originally recorded. This episode is a laugh-out-loud comedy of errors. When the Sugarbaker's ladies have a raffle in order to drum up more business, the winner, a down-and-out guy named Eldon Ashcroft IV, is NOT what they envisioned at all. The room he wants decorated by them is in a gas station, and a dumpy one at that. The ladies are even more dismayed when Eldon refuses to make up his mind about any of their suggestions. It turns out that he was just trying to buy time, that he liked them and didn't want to have to say good-bye ... which he would have to do when the decorating job was over. To make matters worse, Charlene's psychic, "Tova of Beloxi", said she was to marry a man with the initials E.A. Guess who that is? I won't spoil the surprise for those who haven't seen this episode, but this installment was a true gem. Even Suzanne acted nice for about 30 seconds, an oddity in itself! I really wish the producers/the studio get this series on DVD so I would have all my favorite episodes together.