Designing Women

Bernice's Sanity Hearing

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Nov 13, 1989 on CBS

• Bernice's sanity is put to the test by her ungrateful niece. Will the ladies come to her rescue or will Sugarbakers be joining her in a padded room?

This is my all time favorite episode of the series. Bernice is one of funniest characters in televison history. My two favorite parts of this episode is Bernice drinking champange in the Sounds of the Ozarks chair, listening to frogs croaking. The other favorite is the whole sanity hearing, from the begining with Mary Jo putting on "invisble undwear" and Suzanne going on about her rotten vaction in Grece. The best part was at the end when the judge declares Bernice sane, but the Sugarbaker women are not. As Julia put it to Suzanne "Berince is not crazy,....but we are".
  • You say Baker Act, I say tomato, let's call the whole thing off...

Everyone must unite to protect Bernice from the wicked designs of niece Phyllis, who wants her declared insane.

We all know Bernice is, shall we say, eccentric; that's part of her charm. So what if she breaks out into song for no reason while taking a walk, and tells everyone Anthony is her son? Who's it hurting?

Some people, however, are inclined to take life too seriously. One of these is Clifton's niece Phyllis. You'd think family would be even more understanding and appreciative than anyone else. And you'd be wrong.

Bernice and company get ready to fend off the attempt to have her committed. Cross your fingers, though, as there's doubt they might succeed...

A funny episode that celebrates your right to be yourself. And there's nothing wrong with that.