Designing Women

CBS (ended 1993)

Catwoman87531

User Score: 1966

Designing Women Fan Reviews (19)

• It was a classic show.

I loved Designing Women. It lost some of it's appeal when Suzanne and Charlene lefet, but it was still funny. My favorite character was Julia. She was this polite, sophiticated woman, but when you got on her bad side, she'd go Terminator on you, which I found to be funny, but also true about whoever her anger was aimed at. My favorite episode with Julia was Full Moon, or the name of it was close to that. I loved the fact that she was always sticking up for what she thought was right. That episode where she kept crashing her car into a stand that had posters she spoke of as degrading to women. Mary Jo was my second favorite. Especially in the Big Hass episode, when she was talking about how big breast could get you anything. Mary Jo, i think would be in everyones top two, of the funniest ones of them all. I wasn't to happy when Suzanne ans Charlene left, but that epsidoe when they all spent the night at Charlene's (or is it Carlene's? I think both her and charlene's names were spelt the same) new apartment, had me laughing hard. I love old classic shows like these.
  • This show is one of my favorite shows. When I go back home in the USA I want to get DVDs if I can find any.

I think my favorite woman has to be Suzanne Sugarbaker. Next one is Julia, her sister. I could watch the series all day long! I remember my favorite writer Lewis Grizzard was a guest star in it. I was in heaven! Anthony was so funny, and every show was just as good as the other one! I wish they would have shown the series here in the UK where I now live.
    I enjoy the language and Southern hospitality in the show, and the proper manners and the old fashioned traditions. Well, what boils down is that we need more Southern shows like this.
  • a classy and funny show

I really love this show until now because for me, this is the best sitcom ever made! Eventhough this is always compared to Golden Girls, I like this show much better because Golden Girls is so overrated and Designing Women has the best comedy by far. I love the character of Julia and she's really a good actress and all the cast really gave their full performance in this show! Sometimes it's a bit preachy but it never fail to deliver a good laugh to everyone. I bought the complete 7 seasons of this show at DVDBOOTH .com which really provided me good quality DVDs. Among all the TV series created, Designing Women is definitely stand out among all other sitcom. I think they can never make any other series as good as this one!
  • great show

Well Written
  • When Suzanne and Charlene left, it went down the drain.

This show is about 4 women, Julia Sugarbaker, Suzanne Sugarbaker, Charlene Frasier, Mary Jo ?? and the man who drives the van, Anthony who run a designing shop outside of Julia's home. Towards the end of the show, Suzanne and Charlene left and were replaced by Allison, Carlene, and BJ. Once Suzanne and Charlene left, the show went down FAST. I will watch the shows with Carlene, Allison and BJ, but would rather see the onces with Suzanne and Charlene. At the end of the series, the store was in ruins. The show plays on Lifetime on 8:00AM & 8:30AM Eastern Standard Time.
  • A show that was great then and would be great now.

A show that was great then and would be great now. This show was a classic. The acting was supurb and the casting for this show couldn't have been better. We got to see Delta Burke as the beautiful beauty queen in the beginning to the beautiful but changed person she became towards the end of the series. This show proved that no matter what you look like on the outside it doesn't change who you are on the inside and for Delta that was self centered and full of herself. Which was great to see she added laughter and fun to the show. Annie was the meek and mild of the bunch and she grew stregnth throughout the show. Each character grew with each season. That's what made this show so interesting and great.
  • The show "Designing Women" will always been a landmark television show. Joining with the ranks of "The Andy Griffith Show" & "I Love Lucy," it just makes you want to laugh and roll on the floor with all the hilarious things that go on at "Sugarbakers."

"Designing Women," will always be a show that just makes you want to set down and watch a marathon of episodes. I've always watched it with my mom, since the day I was born actually. From Mary Jo's "little falsie" to Anthony's beauty contest, it's just so hilarious to watch.
  • Finally! A positive show about Southern women!

Everyone seems to have an opinion about the South. Unfortunately, Southerners are most apt to be played as ignorant, or at least naive, rednecks and hillbillies. Designing Women, however, gave the world a realistic and positive portrayal of the new South. The hard-working foursome of Julia, Suzanne, Mary Beth, and Charlene, along with Anthony, were the very models of Southern Charm, biting wit, steel resilience, resourceful intelligence, and gracious hospitality. The show itself was incredibly funny, but still managed to tackle some tough issues such as AIDS, world hunger, and racial prejudice. This show made a definite statement during its long run. Always superbly written, well-acted,and tastefully done, it will forever remain a classic and ground-breaking series.
  • Four sassy women, one GREAT show!

Since I grew up in Georgia, this show was a staple for me every week. Four sassy women who had great careers and friendships, I mean what was not to love. I feel like I've known a Mary Jo, Suzanne, Charlene and Julia, and possible even a Bernice in my lifetime living down here. It was a show that didn't make fun of the South like so many others do, perhaps it's because the writers were from the South. The show did go downhill when Burke and Smart left, but Carter and Potts were there to make up for it.
  • Designing Women: Mary Jo, Julia, Suzanne, Charlene

This was a show that touched on many subjects that were taboo. Race, aids, breast cancer to name a few. I never got tired of Charlene's down home personality or Julia's tirades and speeches, nor of Suzanne's absurd comments. Mary Jo rounded the cast off nicely.

Anthony was a nice addition to the cast and Bernice Cliffton sent me into fits of laughter. One episode Mary Jo gave her a Christmas Tree skirt to put around the bottom of the tree, and silly Bernice thought it was for her, so she had this skirt around her waist. When Mary Jo told her what it was really for, Bernice said she thought it fit awfully tight. She and Anthony were a great comedic duo as well as Anthony and Suzanne.

A definitely must see for women of all ages and even some men.
  • The Original Cast Was The Best Cast

After Delta Burke and Jean Smart left the show, it all sort of fell apart. Julia Duffy was a mistake. Allison Sugarbaker should have never existed. And where did Carlene come from anyway? That one episode with all of Charlene's family, Carlene is not mentioned. Every episode of season six was one catastrophe after another. Season seven, however, was so much better. Judith Ivey's character was pretty great. Sure, she wasn't enough to bring the show back, but in all fairness it was pretty far gone after the previous season. The one thing I will never get over is that damn gone with the wind parody. What in God's name was that? I mean I realize the show was canceled, so that wasn't the official finale, but I don't think that episode should have happened either way.
  • Outstanding

Designing Women was a true original. It's very hard to find a group of actors who have chemistry, but this group did. Each one brought something unique to the show. It became very apparent how well they worked together after Delta Burke and Jean Smart left. Jan Hooks was great as Jean's sister. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about Julia Duffy's Allison. Obviously it was decided that she would play a character much like her Newhart character, but it did not work here. Her replacement, Judith Ivey, is a wonderful actress as well, but her character, while much more likable than Duffy's, just didn't fit. It is really unfortunate that there was so much behind the scenes turmoil. It always seems to ruin the best shows.
  • This show is a clasic tv show that was truely hilarious then and even now. I can remember watching this show and loving it in the 80's when I was a little girl.

Designing Women details the comedic ups and downs of an Atlanta interior design firm. Run by strong-willed Julia Sugarbaker (Dixie Carter), the firm is the setting for the squabbles and personal struggles experienced by her, her shallow, former beauty queen sister (Delta Burke), divorced Mary Jo (Annie Potts), simple country girl Charlene (Jean Smart), and ex-con delivery man Anthony (Meshach Taylor).

Delta Burke made this show as well as Meshach Taylor. All the ladies were wonderful but they're characters are what I believe made the show so popular. What would it be without Dixie Carter's getting fired up on a subject as well, or Annie Potts drinking a few drinks and getting macho talking. Jean Smart and all her beau's that never seemed to work out except her husband Bill and all her crazy thoughts. These ladies worked and clicked well together. This is Classic TV at it's best.

One episode for example, details the whole gang going to the beach weekend with the boys and Ursula, a beautiful; well endowed woman as the baby sitter. While the woman become jealous, they can not honestly see anything wrong with her work and the guys continue on drooling. There’s also an episode where Julia runs her car into the billboard that is on the street 3 times because she despises what it stands for. The woman displayed on the billboard was dressed in very little other then a snake and was advertising for a strip club opening.
    One episode depicts the girls designing the governors mansion and Suzanne gets her head stuck in a banister rail, and after some time they eventually had to saw her out. Anthony dresses up like Suzanne's maid Consuela and has to pass through INS and take a test dressed up like her so that she could stay in this country. Who could forget his hilarious laugh when he gets nervous.

For a while, Designing Women captured some of the spirit of Hollywood's silkiest and smartest, Golden Age sophistication. Debuting in the fall of 1986, this half-hour sitcom about four Atlanta belles who either owned or worked for an upscale interior design firm. The show seamlessly blended an understated glamour with razor-sharp dialogue, polished Southern grace, and a ripened female perspective--a sort of perfumed but unequivocal feminism for college-educated women over 30.
  • Simply put a Classic.

One of the many tv shows that I grew up on and still adore today. The Sugarbakers and the rest of the gang was just entertaining to watch. One of those shows I hated to see end. It has truely been missed. I have enjoyed catching the re-runs just as much as I did when they were originals.
  • Funny & Topical

Designing Women was a funny show that also raised many feminist issues. The show's first few seasons are a great blend of humor and topical issues because the original cast of Dixie Carter, Delta Burke, Annie Potts and Jean Smart immediately meshed and were great together. Throw in Meshach Taylor and recurring guests like Hal Holbrook and you get one of the better casts of the late 80's. Once Ms. Burke & Ms. Smart left the show that chemistry was gone and the show went downhill fast. Julia Duffy tried and miserably failed to replace Ms. Burke and the show became a bit too pretentious.
  • Except for using the Anthony as a glorified donkey, it was an OK show . . .

6.9
    Four women who shared stories, meals, secrets and sometimes worked on designing people's homes. Worked is a stretch, because most of the time, they did more gossiping than anything else. But that was fine-because it seemed more realistic that way. Delta Burke, who played Suzanne Sugarbaker made this show. She was honest and conceited and stereotypically southern. Although I don't like the way she treated Anthony like her own personal slave-she did grow to have a very strong friendship onscreen with him. The next funniest character was definitely Charlene. She was a loveable character whose naivity was only matched by her crazy back woods charm and her 'back home in Poplar Bluff' stories. The other 2 ladies, Julia and Mary Jo, I didn't care for that much. This was a wonderful show when the original characters appeared; after Delta and Jean Smart left- there was a lot taken away from the sorority/sisterhood that the original actresses had formed.
  • A comedy, that aims at teaching left-leaning doctrine through humor.

2.6
    A show presumably about a small interior designer firm, though precious few episodes are actually about designing. And only a few episodes in, you get the feeling that the audience is what they are designing.

Playing the overplayed and trite cast-the-conservative-as-a-dufus card, the writers consistently consistently use the character of Suzanne Sugarbaker for straight lines to be struck down comically by the more liberal - and therefore more "enlightened" - partners. Liberal potshots at conservative politics were gratuitously and irrelevantly sprinkled into the script.

The character of Bernice Clifton used one whole episode to take a half-hour slam on the conservative church.

I'll grant that the show had it;'s truly funny moments. But unless you enjoy having your core values ridiculed, there was really little reason to watch the show.
  • HAHA!!! What a disgrace to tv sitcoms!! I wish i could give it a zero!!!

This show is an absolute joke. I cannot believe I watched it. The only reason I watched it twice was because my sister held me at gunpoint!!! It is an absolute waste of 7 years. I pity anyone who watched it. It really screwed up a lot of little boys. My sister is the spitting image of Dixie Carter a.k.a. Julia. That character alone caused many people to flee in terror about her speech about "the night the lights went out in georgia". Many still have a complex about my sister reenacting it. It is completley a horror....Don't watch the reruns!!! Thank god they took them off the telly!!!!!
  • not that good

5.5
    i can not believe how long this show was on. it lasted a lot longer than i thought it ever would. i never thought it was that funny. delta burke occasionally made me chuckle but that was about it. and meeshack taylor, i do not understand what his function on the show even was.