Designing Women

The Big Desk

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Sep 16, 1991 on CBS

7.8
  • Allison Sugarbaker, Julia and Suzanne's cousin, has bought Suzanne's share of the business, and makes a bad first impression. Charlene's baby sister moves to Atlanta.

What a challenge it had to have been to write this episode, considering the hilarity of the previous season. As a viewer watching this episode for the first time, I was quite impressed. Jan Hooks was perfectly cast as Carlene, and there were many great moments she shared with Julia Duffy's Allison, especially the F.T.S comment, pointing out that her daddy bought Suzanne's share, and reminding Allison that her speech was actually a song. Suzanne is mentioned a lot in this episodes, and Allison is kind of seen, in my eyes, a Suzanne clone. I think Duffy did a hell of a job with the role. It had to have been hard to walk into a situation and replace an actress who had five years on the show. Same with Hooks, and I loved the sisterly bond you could see with Jean Smart and Hooks. I loved how Anthony and Allison sparred, and how Allison kept getting Charlene's name wrong. Funny episode.