Desperate Housewives

Epiphany

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 25, 2010 on ABC

6.9
  • Awful! Possibly the worst episode ever.

Seriously what are the writers thinking. This episode wasn't realistic at all, nothing in it worked. Where is this season going? I find it awful that they made Eddie the killer. It's just stupid. Not believable. The woman who played his mother looked like a hag. The Gabrielle and Eddie relationship was all weird. This season has gone downhill since the plane crash. So apparently Lynette will be devastated in the final episode. What a surprise! I wonder what is going to happen? I am so frustrated why do I even bother to watch this show anymore? It's so silly.
  • I can scarcely believe that this show used to be good any more.

I can scarcely believe that this show used to be good any more. It has become a tired, formulaic pastiche of itself. Gee, I wonder who'll move in with a dark secret next season? Is anyone buying this kid Eddie as a serial killer? What a disasterous piece of miscasting. Such tired, insipid writing gives the cast absolutely nothing to work with. Utter, utter rubbish.

.... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ... .... ... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ... .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Not too original but very powerful

Yet another 'all about' episode. Good job I enjoy them!

Eddie is a surprise charecter who sort of puts a spanner in the works of anyone theorising on what has been something of a dull and easy to miss mystery. But this does a decent job of pulling it all together.

So like every year (or twice) we get an episode like this which explains to us the inner working of the latest nutter, and this one like normal tugs at the heart strings and asks are they really evil? And who let them down?

So this is an exploration of Eddies life, a story of knock back after the other, one unlucky boy whos family let him down and society failed to understand.

It's quite powerful really and makes you pause for thought. We all know someone a bit like Eddie. We've all. To a degree we've all treated another human being in one or some of the ways that Eddie was treated, and we all see those lonely people who we have no time for who if we were honest, really look like they need a friend. So it works, and it tugs at the heart stings.

It's hardly original, but it's poignant and absolutely in the spirit of Desperate Housewives. It plays on that everlasting theme that was laid in episode one of not juding a book by it's cover.

I also never complain when we get to see Mary Alice or get to have a trip through time these are the sorts of things Desperate HOusewives fans want and Marc Cherry gives us it.

What makes me not go any higher than 8.5 is because this episode wasn't anything major and I;ve been waiting ages now for some Barrowman and when we finally get to see him, he goes on Hiatus after just one episode! Thats the fan boy in me talking! And while this unravelled mysery does make sense I can;t help it felt it didn't have enough to stand on, as if this episode was to say no it's not Danny who killing women and here's why. I like a good twist but, I don't think enough crumbs led to Eddie. Still at 8.5 I definatly enjoyed it.
  • Mr. E and the Women

Yes, I'm 9-ing this episode, but I feel they gave me good reason to; Epiphany is Desperate Housewives' best season 6 offering. Yes, I feel the flashback centric DH episodes are becoming a tired narrative device. It's just this side of 'done to death', but even so, at the very least the episodes are more interesting than usual Housewives material these days. Most viewers have enjoyed these entries, but I find them hit-or-miss. The story about the neighborhood handyman is already a classic, but others have been forgettable or down right annoying. I was lukewarm to the reveal of who'd been murdering the girls on Wysteria Lane last week. That loser kid? Who cares? Well, put me in the camp of classic for "Epiphany" which completely fleshed out the character of Eddie, our resident serial killer. It was a much needed and much appreciated backstory.

Mary Alice returned to the screen in part 1 of our story. (Welcome back, gorgeous!) Her scenes established the groundwork for everything to come. Long story short: Pops walked out on toddler Eddie and mom, who is one of those co-dependent, need-a-man-in-my-life types. She passive aggressively blames the boy, and becomes a drunken shadow of a woman. Not an ideal person to grow up around.

Flash-forward a few years, and the kid buddies up with Gabrielle, the first of the housewives to try to do right by the boy, but inadvertently push him further down his dark destiny. She's just moved onto the lane and her loneliness paired with Eddie's own (mom's slutting it up with some new boyfriend) makes for an odd friendship. It's kind of weird watching this part of the story, a lonely beautiful woman and a lonely, somewhat creepy kid- but somehow it just barely works. I bought that Gaby would kind of use the boy for chores around the house (as she'd soon use maids and her own kids), and one could argue this even develops Gaby's interest in younger men down the line (the infamous gardener affair is mentioned later in the ep). Young Eddie noted Gaby's good looks, and seemed to really enjoy the attention he got from her. He was crushed not to be able to keep her to himself, and now seemed to resent Gabrielle, and possibly the type of woman she represents: The one that's out of your league.

Next, we're closer to the age Eddie is now. A young shy teen with a crush. He paints for Bree, but she soon finds out the girl he's nervous about perusing is her own daughter Danielle. I was actually really impressed with the way Bree handled this, because so often we see parents freak out when someone wants to date their kid. Poor Eddie was laughed at by his own mother when Bree brought up the issue, and its easy to feel for this guy. As often as we see the "don't date my kid!" cliche, we've also been given countless backstories for killers to try to make them more sympathetic or human. I think DH is one of the few that succeeds completely with this story- Bree I think showed a lot of empathy for Ed, like most of us all would, but unfortunately to no avail. For anyone who's been in Eddie's shoes, his frustration is understandable, and so he comes to resent Bree's compassion- another type of woman: the one who pity's you.

It's around here that Eddie makes his first kill (not including birds with BB guns). The poor chap was resulted to buying a hooker, and taking Bree's suggestion to heart (or completely misinterpreting it) he gives the harlot a bouquet of flowers. She laughs, and it triggers something most foul in the youth. Cue stiff in the alley, but not the kind you think!

Susan is next, and she sees artistic potential in Eddie. There is a lot to read into the sensitive artist/tortured killer motif, including issues of voyeurism, and the deadly sins like Lust, Pride and Envy. But I won't get into all of that (partially because I'm tired, but also because I don't think Housewives is that deep). It's not so much a cliche because at this point, we (or at least I) genuinely wanted Eddie to be happy. Destructively, Ed once again got too attached to someone who just doesn't see him the same way. His shock at seeing Susan out of nowhere jump back into getting married felt very realistic. I also appreciated that the show was able to poke fun at itself, with how ridiculous her re-marriage story sounded, lol. But Basically Susan plays another 'type' than can drive an introverted kid crazy: the girl who's oblivious. The story that I think got a little short-changed was Lynette's (who I'd been waiting for). They played charades and grumpy mom came in to ruin the fun. Lynette was the only of the housewives to really stand up to Eddie's mom, but to conclude that Eddie needs to move in with her and the Scavos? With all the kids they can barely handle as it is? And their financial woes? Tom going along with it? I don't buy this at all. Eddie's mom found out about the murders and in a really good scene, payed with her life. This was satisfying in an odd way, but still disturbing. Tension (Real tension on this show! OMG it's been ages!) mounts when Lynette shows up at the door, but she assumed mum was dead drunk. Ha! The theme of Epiphany wants to show how one kind of monster can create another, and while the mom does good work, I have to give it up to young Josh Zuckerman who played Eddie's anguish pitch-perfectly, throughout the episode. I'm amazed how quickly he went from lame character to one of the most intriguing on the show.
  • Oh dear!!!

Epiphany was with out a doubt the worst episode of desperate housewives ever!! The storylines this week were just utter rubbish, I'll start by saying I cant believe that eddie is the strangler it is just so stupid. And the womens story's with him were also stupid espically gaby's it was just ridiculous that she was best friend with a little boy!
    Bree's storyline with eddie was ok but nothing special.
    Susan's was ok also it was nice to have her talk about her art work, apart of susan that the show dosnt explore much.
    Lynette's storyline was also pretty weak, I mean inviting eddie to move in with her was pretty silly i mean she has already got 4 Kids and a another on the way, how many rooms does that room have. Overall pretty rubbish!!
  • epiphany

Incredible, incredible episode tonight. A very powerful story from top to bottom. Desperate Housewives may have created the best backstory for a character ever with Eddie, and they did it all in just one episode. Hard to beleive that just a few weeks ago this kid was nothing more than a wannabe stand-up comedian.

The backstory with each of the Housewives was well-done and the viewer could see the frustration in Eddie growing with each case. While I am getting tired of all these backstory episodes showing the interaction a character had with the rest of the cast, I loved tonight's episode. My only worry is that having a serial killer on the loose may take away some of the momentum from the Angie and New York dude storyline.
  • Really interesting.......

In this episode of Desperate Housewives, the following happens. All of the women of Wisteria Lane still don't know the identity of the Strangler, but we get to see what happened to him in his childhood, and how all of that has shaped the person he has become. We see how his father left his mother, his mother began drinking and that he mother has a hatred for him. We see how each of the women on the street have tried to help Eddie for many years, only it was useless. As the episode ends, we see his mother learning the truth about the strangler, and then he loses his temper and kills her. Overall a really interesting episode, but helped us to understand why Eddie is the way that he is.
  • This was one of the best episodes I've seen of Desperate Housewives of any season. They've built the suspense all season as to who the strangler is, and everyone's thought it to be an evil monster.

This was one of the best episodes I've seen of Desperate Housewives of any season. They've built the suspense all season as to who the strangler is, and everyone's thought it to be an evil monster. What no one suspected was that it's been what would be a sweet kid that everyone likes. Through flashbacks, the authors show us how he became violent. This episode has tremendous credibility in showing how a young man became misogynistic and violent, and it did so in a way that both saddens us and terrifies us. We mourn with Eddie when he's mocked, and we're shocked by his violent scenes. However, what scares us most is how human a violent person can be. The saddest part is we know how different it could all be if Eddie had been treated better. Season 6, Episode 20 is fine TV. It manages to, with credibility, show the development of a violent personality without condoning that kind of behavior. In short, it portrays the darker side of human nature as all too human. It's chilling. It's a must-see episode.
  • Very good episode which makes us understand Eddie.

That was pretty intense at times. I loved the way it went through each characters time with him and how they saw his life was troubled. His mother really was horrible. 'A monster is created by another monster' - that's what Mary Alice says at the end, in this case it really seems to be true.

I felt sorry for Eddie throughout and even his killings were horrible you understand his pain and loneliness. The saddest scene was when he broke down with Bree about wanting someone to love him - that was powerful. It was a very revealing episode which sets the stage for the final three episodes - is Lynette gonna find out about Eddie? I think so.

I'm hoping this season ends on a high note, it has been kind of hit and miss lately. Strong episode.
  • Meet the official worst mother in the history of the show.

Diane Farr was a great choice for Barbara, an experienced actress who did an amazing job as such a monstrous woman. Everyone wonders how killers come to be and this answers that question expertly. When you tell your four-old son how "it's not your fault you ruined my life" how can you be shocked he turns out so twisted? The thing is, you felt so sorry for the kid, who was a good guy at heart but his mother's constant run-downs and laughs at his lack of any ability or promise destroyed what good he could have done with his life. Yes, it's true that the other ladies, in their own ways, inadvertedly added to it but Barbara clearly shoulders the massive blame for helping her son become a killer. It is interesting seeing things in flashback as the revelation he was after Susan was a surprise. But Farr sold it perfectly as the monster who created a monster and made this a truly chilling hour.
  • "Dead Drunk"

This is the first time I've written a review. I felt compelled to because that was one of my favourite DH episodes in a long time. I know the flashback eps get a lot of sighing but they're part of the reason I love this show, something about what goes on under your very nose going unnoticed really fascinates me. Kudos to the actor playing Eddie, I felt real sympathy for a character who could easily have been just a monster and credit must go to the acting. Also, with regards to my summary title, this line from Lynette made me laugh at a point when the episode was reaching it's climax. The great comedy effortlessly cutting through the drama is what makes this show truly stand out. For me, the tension has well and truly been built towards the end game of the season and proves to me that DH has a lot of life left in it. I'm as excited about the show now as I was 5 years ago.