Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

6.11 - "If..." Episode Discussion

What did you think of this episode?

RenatoB

[1]Jan 2, 2010
    • level: 43

This Sunday, January 03, 2010, the 11th episode of the 6th season of "Desperate Housewives", titled "If...", will air on ABC, at 9/8 central. Due to an error in the press release, the writers and director are TBA. Watch and discuss it here.

In the aftermath of the plane crash, the residents of Wisteria Lane reflect on what their lives might have been had they made different choices: Susan contemplates a life with Karl had he not walked out on her, and Bree considers life without Orson. Lynette thinks about a future with her unborn twins, whereas Carlos reflects on how Gabrielle would be as an over-protective mom, and Angie ponders the consequences should her secrets be revealed.

Guest stars for this episode include Richard Burgi as Karl Mayer, David C. Scott as agent, Daniella Baltodano as Celia Solis, Gloria Garayua as a grown-up Celia Solis, Tuc Watkins as Bob Hunter, Kevin Rahm as Lee McDermott, Zayne Emory as Patrick Scavo, Evan Arnold as casting director, Ragan Wallake as Courtney, Dale Waddington Horowitz as Nurse and Anthony Traina, among others.

No spoilers are allowed in this thread beyond this comment until the episode airs.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jasptv

[2]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 5

Just finished watching...

Storylines...

Susan: Meh... was suppose to be comedic, but kinda failed for me... and was kinda pathetic, but I did like when she came on to Mike as he fixed her sink

Bree: Meh... wasn't so good, does Karl have to be a giant pig in every depiction , though I am intrigued to see how she and Orson play out

Angie: Good as usual, makes me eager to find out what the mystery is, I'm stil unsure, but I have theory

Gaby: decent, I wish the rumor that Celia was going to end up with MJ hypothetically was true...

Lynette: Amazing storyline, I so wanted it to be true, she gets the disabled baby and her struggles with him would've brought back the stress of early Lynette, and would of probably had the quality of performance she's done in the role like the Mary Alice vision meldown or the Cancer/gopher scenes... but they had to make him die... the reconciliation between her and Gaby was nice also Overall, was expecting more coming back from the break, but meh...

Edited on 01/03/2010 7:09pm

miss_wierd

[3]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 13
    Susan: Meh... was suppose to be comedic, but kinda failed for me... and was kinda pathetic, but I did like when she came on to Mike as he fixed her sink

======================================================

I thought it was funny when she was fat! ROFL! Then she hits on Mike ROFL!

Gaby: decent, I wish the rumor that Celia was going to end up with MJ hypothetically was true...

======================================================

What?! There is a rumor that Celia is going to be with MJ? When?

Lynette: Amazing storyline, I so wanted it to be true, she gets the disabled baby and her struggles with him would've brought back the stress of early Lynette, and would of probably had the quality of performance she's done in the role like the Mary Alice vision meldown or the Cancer/gopher scenes... but they had to make him die... the reconciliation between her and Gaby was nice also Overall, was expecting more coming back from the break, but meh...

==========================================================

Yeah that was great! Her telling her disabled son to make his own sandwhich. Very powerful scene. Yeah to bad the baby had to die.

Nashirathena

[5]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 14
    Where was the zing? The pop?The 'Ooooo...'? This episode was as dull as dry toast.

Zazawie

[6]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 19
    ^^agreed, almost everything that was supposed to be touching, fell out flat.

--Susan--
    Although it started out decent, it was a waste of time. It was just an excuse to do something funny with Hatcher, draw media attention and dignify her actions. That's something that bothered me the most: I would've liked a real what-if, instead of what the housewives thought it would be like.

--Bree--
    They should've spread these over the episode, so the funeral would've come out better. Now, it was just like a device to finish the episode. Bree's dream was as annoying as Susan's and didn't have any depth. The Orson scene could've been wonderful, but without a good lead-in, if fell flat. I also would've liked to SEE Bree react to Karl's death.

--Angie--
    Drea saved this episode for me, a bit. We barely got any new info, just a few names, but at least the scenes were worked out decently. The one where they find out Mona might survive was a really good scene, the what-if scenes were o.k. It bothers me that Mona died: they do this every frickin' time with the disaster episode and it's really a cheap tric to get out of the mysery they've put themselves in. I would've preferred if the Bolens did something to 'wack' her, I'd still like them.

--Gaby--
    Lamest of them all. An impulsive thought about God saving Celia for a reason lingers on for 20 years? Really? Even Gaby's more realistic. Adult Celia wasn't that great of an actress and senior Gaby was kind of laughable. The story just wasn't interesting and made it feel stupid. I did like the idea of Carlos leaving, but I wanted to see something more of that instead.

--Lynette--
    First I thought, are they really going to keep Lynette's as the last one? But now I see this was the right choice. It was heartbreaking and hard to watch, but exactly how it should've been. We finally see Lynette loving her unborn babies and the scene with the sandwich is Emmy-worthy. Thank God for Felicity Huffman. I'm a bit surprised they kept one of the babies, because it still means children storylines for Lynette and that's a bit of a letdown, since this has been the same for the last 5 years and the writers already don't know what to do with the 4 they've got at home. I just hope they don't forget the little brat once he's delivered.

5.5/10

marto_dd

[7]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 17

I absolutely loved it, absolutely! I think it could be my favorite episode of the season

Susan
    Her story was kinda funny and kinda short. I guess they figured Susan wouldn't have any real use in the episode, that's why they did this short and funny thing with her and Mike.

Bree
    Okay, that one was amazing and is definitely my favorite storyline. Karl's a pig - he has always been one and he will stay that way forever. It is what I believed during the whole affair and I couldn't understand why Bree didn't see it. Orson, on the other hand, is my favorite character. So it was really heartbreaking for me too see Bree visiting his place. Her pictures and all those years he spent loving her, it was just amazing... And the line about him dying from a broken heart was really beautiful.

Angie
    I liked it. I felt sorry for her, when she was apologizing.

Gabby
    I find this the worst part of the episode. Gabby really went too far with the whole idea of Celia being special. But, on the other hand, it was just a stupid dream Gabby had for like five minutes, so I don't mind it that far.

Lynette
    If I have to be objective, Lynette had the best story for the episode. Bree's was my favorite, because Orson is my favorite character, but Lynette's storyline was actually the best. All the actors were amazingly great and brought so much depth into the scenes. It felt like a great movie, nominated for 10 Oscars I can't wait to see what's in store for Lynette.

grace87

[8]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 34
    Anyone knows the ratings?
    Edited on 01/04/2010 5:22am

RenatoB

[9]Jan 4, 2010

I think maybe I should had waited and watched the episode a second time before reviewing it, but right now, I'm a bit disappointed. We waited for so long for the aftermath show and it was a letdown. It was supposed to be a very special episode, but like some people have put it, it fell flat. It went by so quickly, every single "what if..." segment was so short, couldn't they have cut some commercial time? I resent TV for that!

SUSAN: I really liked that scene with Susan and Mrs. McCluskey, it was very heartfelt, how Karen felt like a hypocrite for not wanting Karl to die when she had judged him so harshly prior to that. That was so sweet. I thought Susan would take the news in a worst manner, but hey, whatever. Her "what if... scenes were ridiculous. Seriously, she looked awesome in her fat figure, but was that it? Was that it?

BREE: I would had loved to see Bree freaking out over Karl and being sedated. That first scene with them entering Bree's house was pretty romantic and Marcia Cross looked gorgeous and youthful, like Karl had awakened something inside of her. That made me feel good, maybe they did have something special. However, in the next scene, he's in bed with some hoochie. The revelation that Orson had died broken-hearted without her was so touching, it was one of the best scenes. He kept all those pictures of the family he once had, his loving wife, stepchildren and Benjamin. That was a very emotional scene for me, seeing Bree regret deeply leaving Orson and marrying Karl Mayer.

ANGIE: I was so unimpressed by Drea de Matteo's acting in the courtroom scene. Seriously, she doesn't come close to any of the leading ladies. She could had cried a bit, made her apology more heartfelt, something like that. Danny calling out for his mother was also unimpressing. Huffman or Cross should really teach them a thing or two about dramatic performances. De Matteo is outstanding when she's telling someone off or punching her husband in the face, but don't try and get her to be emotional, she can't cut it. I still love her, though, I consider drama to be more difficult than comedy, and it's not like I'm some sort of Shakesperean actor. It's just where I stand. I like when we're given bits of info, it's all we can hope for until the finale, and it's just fine. Someone before me said it would be much more exciting if Mona had been killed by one of the Bolens. I couldn't agree more. It would be so much juicier if Nick just came up to her and put a pillow over her face. How great would that be? He'd be doing that to protect his family (and himself, he did have something to do with what went on, clearly).

GABRIELLE: The worst segment by far, it was just ludicrous. I didn't buy Baltodano's crying. I complained before that all Celia did was stand in the background like a part of the scenery, but I know now it's better that way, give her sister all the cool stuff, she can handle it (seriously, how great is little Madison? I love her!). By the way, when was Gaby so religious to the point of considering Celia's rescue the work of God? I love God too, but by that logic if God hadn't put the plane in front of Celia she wouldn't need rescuing. But God didn't put that plane there, and God didn't save Celia. The whole thing just made no sense: if God wanted Celia to be saved because she was special, then maybe she would be special in a religious way. Maybe she was meant to be the first female pope? Maybe she would become the next Mother Theresa? No, according to Gabrielle, God thinks all things special come in the form of famous performers. Old Gaby was extraordinary, though, her husky voice was awesome, I can't believe Eva could talk like that. The whole segment was a waste of precious time, just because they need to give Eva something to do.

LYNETTE: The best for last. Indeed it was. I am not ashamed to say I cried. That powerful sandwich scene, I had already seen it in the sneak peek, it wasn't new to me, but that's when I started crying, when I re-watched it. Felicity Huffman is the best living actor. No question. She is the best, absolutely the best. If she doesn't win an Emmy... who am I kidding, she will never win an Emmy with such a dramatic performance. Which is a shame. She deserves one. She deserves a hundred, actually. And then when I learnt the baby had died, that's when the water started pouring from my eyes. I really thought the baby was gonna make it. I wanted the baby to live. And it didn't, and I was so shocked. Everything was supposed to work out, but it didn't. I thought Marc Cherry had gone soft, but he hasn't. The man is still a genious, and he still knows how to surprise me. It would had been a cliché had the baby lived, but that's what I expected. This is the first surprising death I've seen on the show since that of Ellie Leonard in the forth season finale. Every other death I saw coming, mostly because of spoilers and trailers. "We were gonna name him Patrick". I couldn't stop the waterworks. Lynette lost a son saving her friend's daughter. And I'm sure if she could turn back time she would do it again. The ending sort of did it for me, made up for the rest. But the rest was... exactly that, the rest. Every segment was short and could had been more entertaining. The aftermath was mostly predictable, the only exception being Patrick's death. And you won't believe how much I hate that they wasted a perfectly special "what if..." show by not showing Brenda Strong!!! Hello? "What if Mary Alice had lived?" You don't think that's interesting to show, writers? Even if only one housewife thought about time, it'd be good. I mean, if they used that idea for Gabrielle's segment then it wouldn't have been so ridiculous.

ZSinnett

[10]Jan 4, 2010
    The good parts of the episode were; All of Felicity Huffmans scenes (especially the sandwhich scene...amazing), Gaby & Lynette scene, and the Angie scene in the hospital (is Mona alive scene).

ZSinnett

[11]Jan 4, 2010

Also, I believe last night was a season high with 15.2 million and 9.2/14

jasptv

[12]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 5
    ^ I thought De Mateo's courtroom scene was pretty good, though Danny dragged it down, I think her unability to go as far as Bree or Lynette is because of Angie's "tough chick" persona, I felt like she was sorry

Also I agree on wasting Mary Alice (I read another "rumor" that she'd be featured), in Susan's flashback, I was SOOO waiting for Mary Alice to pop up, we saw little Julie and I was like maybe they'll show Mary Alice, nope! I was also kinda hoping the pregnant blonde Mike was with woulda been Edie, just because Edie's great like that and I want to see her on the Lane again, but meh, I don't work on the show

miss_wierd wrote:

on the MJ/Celia "rumor" (coulda been MJ/ Juanita) someone wrote that Susan imagines, MJ marries Celia I'm not sure when I read it, I believe a few days before "Boom Crunch," and I believe it was on wikipedia---I'm so sad they were mistaken---I think it would've been nice for Gaby's "what if" wherein she was more worried about not seeing her baby walk down the isle and find a rich lover, and Celia comes home with plumber protegee MJ. As you can imagine how obnoxiously funny Gaby's reaction to this would've been, imagine if Susan was brought in and be angry that Gaby thinks Celia is above marrying her son... I think that would've been more funny and better than Gaby's "Godly what if"

you know, I need to stay away from these rumors, I always avoid spoilers, but never rumors... I'm done with 'em

Zazawie

[13]Jan 4, 2010
    Although I didn't like the episode, I'm glad the ratings were up, since I still believe in the show.

Season high with almost increasing a million viewers in half an hour (final data will probably be 15.5 million viewers) and a 5.2 in the key demo, also a season high. Looks like they're finally rebouncing from S5's sloppy ratings and tune out of viewers in the second half of the season. Good for them.

WickedNugget

[14]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 8
    OMG, Lynette's story tore my heart apart. The sandwich-scene brought tears to my eyes. I'm in awe of Felicity's acting skills.

RenatoB

[15]Jan 4, 2010
    Zazawie wrote:
    Although I didn't like the episode, I'm glad the ratings were up, since I still believe in the show.

Season high with almost increasing a million viewers in half an hour (final data will probably be 15.5 million viewers) and a 5.2 in the key demo, also a season high. Looks like they're finally rebouncing from S5's sloppy ratings and tune out of viewers in the second half of the season. Good for them.

These are great news. Usually ratings go down-hill in January, this is awesome. And the teaser for the next episode is pretty exciting, so I'm hoping people will keep tuning in.

Zazawie

[16]Jan 4, 2010
    ^^yeah, it's pretty impressive for a six-year-old show. And as you say, ratings always drop like 2-3 million in January.

And I agree about the teaser: I didn't like the idea of the strip club at first, but with this teaser now and Julie Benz joining... looks great!

Nashirathena

[17]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 14
    jasptv wrote:

miss_wierd wrote:

on the MJ/Celia "rumor" (coulda been MJ/ Juanita) someone wrote that Susan imagines, MJ marries Celia I'm not sure when I read it, I believe a few days before "Boom Crunch," and I believe it was on wikipedia---I'm so sad they were mistaken---I think it would've been nice for Gaby's "what if" wherein she was more worried about not seeing her baby walk down the isle and find a rich lover, and Celia comes home with plumber protegee MJ. As you can imagine how obnoxiously funny Gaby's reaction to this would've been, imagine if Susan was brought in and be angry that Gaby thinks Celia is above marrying her son... I think that would've been more funny and better than Gaby's "Godly what if"

you know, I need to stay away from these rumors, I always avoid spoilers, but never rumors... I'm done with 'em

There was also a rumor that Juanita was going to be a lesbian, which would have been hilarious.

gratzielu

[18]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 11
    RenatoB wrote:

ANGIE: I was so unimpressed by Drea de Matteo's acting in the courtroom scene. Seriously, she doesn't come close to any of the leading ladies. She could had cried a bit, made her apology more heartfelt, something like that. Danny calling out for his mother was also unimpressing.

I thought the same thing about Drea de Matteo's acting, but I liked Danny's reaction when his mom was taken away, it seemed so genuine, like he was going to start crying, but he was struggling not to, because he's a man.

kingoffheg

[19]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 11

I was very disappointed after watching this episode, but after watching it again I've come to appreciate it so much more. Here's the breakdown for the storylines:

Susan: Her story was filler and played for cheap laughs, the dialogue wasn't funny at all and the fat suit just didn't do it for me. I really didn't like it, and I thought Susan's reaction towards Karl's death to be inappropriate.

Bree: I enjoyed the scene when they're making out and stuff, but the following scene just felt rushed and so cliche. The scene when she goes to Orson's place though and looks at the pictures is brilliant, it was so sad and really made me like Orson a tad more.

Gabrielle: It went on for too long and for the most part showed Gabrielle out-of-character, but I felt sad for her when she got really old. I also felt sad for old Celia because her life had been ruined (though the actress is somewhat horrible).

Angie: I really liked this storyline, it actually revealed a lot about the mystery. Now we know there's someone called Patrick Logan connected to the mystery and that he was in 'control', he will definitely pop up soon on the show. I also enjoyed the court scene, it wasn't overly-dramatic like the other scenes but it's in-character for Angie not to break down since she's so tough. I also wish Mona Clark was killed by Nick instead of simply dying a few minutes later, that would have been much juicier.

Lynette: The BEST part of the episode for sure, all of her scenes were spectacular, touching and brilliantly-acted. The kitchen scene is definitely award-worthy because of the acting and the writing, it was just perfect. The graduation speech was also so touching, I literally cried and felt happy for Lynette because she really is the best mom on the show. Also Lynette losing one of the babies was heartbreaking.

Lynette & Gabby's apology: It was perfect. It was short and sweet, in my opinion it redeemed Gabby after coming off selfish and annoying last week because she could put the problem behind her and be there for her friend when she needed her, especially after she had lost her own child to save Gabby's.

One complaint I have regards the two writers of this episode, they also wrote the previous episode as well. IMO I think they're not very capable of writing witty dialogue like the other writers who work on the show, they also seem to delve into cliches too much. Last episode's "best christmas ever" line was a rephrase of Something's Coming's "it was supposed to be a beautiful day" which they had also written. Also Orson going paralyzed is too much like Carlos losing his sight.

Oh and the music was spectacular, as usual

grace87

[20]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 34
    I loved it all!!! the best as many of you say is Linette's story.. the scene with the sandwich and the shaking hand on the sink.. powerfull.. Felicity deserves an emmy!!!
    I enjoyed Gabby story too.. but left me kinda "melancholic" and reminded me of "Sunset Boulevard" with Gloria Swanson and William Holden..