We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

7.01 - "Remember Paul?" - Episode Discussion

marto_dd

[1]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 17

Sooooo... did you guys like the episode?
    I don't really know how to feel about it. Some things felt kinda rushed and really, really predictable. And there is nothing really dark, although there is a chance for that to change.
    And Carlos looks REALLY different, I had a hard time recognizing him

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CJ42090

[2]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 12
    I'm not crazy about Juanita being the swapped child, since I really thought it was going to be MJ. However Carlos (who looks much handsomer this season) and Gabby keeping huge secrets from each other is an interesting plotline. Overall I thought this was a very strong premiere (much, much, much better than last season's) and has given me new hope for the show. I'm getting good vibes from Vanessa Williams' character, and I'm relived to see that she simply isn't Edie 2.0. For now, the return of Paul and Felicia seems like a good idea (and it's been well-handled thus far) but I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the writers won't wreck their characters.

BrainMan820

[3]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 16

To me, it seems more like Felicia Tillman has gone off the deep end. The crazy laugh at the end in prison just made me think she's really gone off the deep end.

Further, who would she know on Wisteria Lane that she could possibly call friend? Aside from Mike, Felicia interacted with no one, and seeing how he didn't kill Paul once, I doubt he'll do it again. No one cares enough on the street to actually go see Felicia, considering that they now believe Paul is innocent of her murder, they just find him creepy.

Hopefully, this season will take that arc and do something fun with it, but I'm half-expecting it to be Felicia's victory, since it's the trite and predictable reaction.

CJ42090

[4]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 12
    Felicia has been crazy from day one. Nothing new there, in my opinion.

RenatoB

[5]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 43
    It went by so quickly!! By the time the ladies meet Renee, I thought the episode was only halfway through, but it was already 28 minutes in. It was really fast.

I was disappointed that Steven Culp and Christine Estabrook only appeared in the teaser, with no lines whatsoever, but hey, any appearance of theirs is great nonetheless. I also hope the writers didn't include that scene with Martha opening her door to see Paul as part of the night he killed her, because we all know he went inside with her once she arrived, as he helped her with the groceries. I guess they've forgotten about that (no surprises there, though).

I was worried that I wasn't gonna respond well to Renee and that her story would be mundane and predictable, and it was, to some extent, but they've somehow made it more enjoyable. I like that they kept things out of the sneak peeks, that made me appreciate the actual scenes a lot more, as they provided new stuff (Susan's "someone got hurt" line was particularly good). I'm loving the new housewife already, and probably responding to her better than I did with Angie in the sixth season premiere. It's a nice move having the new woman on the show be connected to at least one of the main characters, because getting to know each other is a lot easier and smooth, rather than having the characters slowly interacting with the neighbors in order to appear friendly and therefore keep them from being suspicious. The return of Paul Young was creepy, funny and well executed, and exactly what I expected it to be. The set up for the mystery storyline (if there is one... I don't think so) was pretty lame, so I'm letting it go and focusing on what is Paul wants and what Felicia's revenge plan is. I loved her last line, didn't know she was going to say that (despite the spoilers that indicated it). I really can't think of anyone other than Beth Young being the spy, unless they bring in some new neighbor later on, like they did with Rose Kemper or Mitzi Kinsky, who apparently had been there for a long time.

I was saddened to see that Bob was absent, and to notice Tuc Watkins wasn't even credited. If he shows up in the credits as a "starring" castmember, that'll be a first: the "starring" cast has never once changed throughout a whole season. It was very weird seeing Ricardo with a clean shave, he looks like an entirely different person. I know my mom will definitely ask me if they replaced the actor once she sees the premiere. The review that was made available was pretty inaccurate regarding this baby-swapping story in my P.O.V.: I think the mutual obscuration of secrets going on with the Solises is very interesting, and I can't wait for the blow-out, which will probably only occur by the time of the winter finale, I don't know.

MJ was pretty good in his first scene, that little kid is growing as an actor. I'm jazzed (lame expression, huh?) for Susan's new job, Bree's new "project", and Paul's new story (I was curious once I learned he wanted to have two houses on the lane: is he making sure no one else can come into the neighborhood? If so, is it because he doesn't want to risk someone coming in and hurting his plans, or because he wants that exact group of people to be nearby?).

So, yes, all in all, I really enjoyed the premiere. It was very quick (for some reason DH never does two-hour premieres, this year one would had been really good), but exciting.

RenatoB

[6]Sep 27, 2010
    Did anyone get what Paul said to Felicia once he hung up? I suck at reading lips. Was it obscene?

marto_dd

[8]Sep 27, 2010

RenatoB wrote:
    Did anyone get what Paul said to Felicia once he hung up? I suck at reading lips. Was it obscene?

I think she told him "You know you did it!" and he said "I did."

Edited on 09/27/2010 2:13am
    Edited 2 total times.

RenatoB

[9]Sep 27, 2010
    ^^Thank you, guys.

ivalice1980

[10]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 6
    I really enjoyed this premiere. Personally, I thought the opening scenes were beyond eerie (it's always great to SEE Brenda Strong!), and I'm stoked to have both Paul and Felicia back. But I really think I'm gonna enjoy having Vanessa Williams around. Her interactions with Lynette were a hoot, and I can't wait to see what kind of stuff she stirs up. The other thing I really like about this opener is the fact that Gabby and Carlos are much more the focus. These are two of my favorite characters, and having them withhold secrets from one another was a good way to go. As for the whole Juanita thing....well, it's gonna be an emotional journey, that's for sure.

RenatoB

[11]Sep 27, 2010
    BTW, what's the baby's name? I think the writers think it's been settled as Polly, but it really hasn't. Well, that's what I'll be calling her until further notice of other name. But they have yet to reveal the name. It's like when in "If..." we saw the twins all grown up and I had no idea that the woman in the audience was one of them because there was never any mention of them being a boy and a girl. Those darn writers...

ivalice1980

[12]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 6

RenatoB wrote:
    BTW, what's the baby's name? I think the writers think it's been settled as Polly, but it really hasn't. Well, that's what I'll be calling her until further notice of other name. But they have yet to reveal the name. It's like when in "If..." we saw the twins all grown up and I had no idea that the woman in the audience was one of them because there was never any mention of them being a boy and a girl. Those darn writers...
    Ha! I didn't even think about that. I thought they had settled on Polly, but you're right; it was never "officially" confirmed. Silly writers...

Zazawie

[13]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 19
    I'll put my review at the episode's page in a few minutes, so I'll keep it (relatively) short here.

In general, I was disappointed. The opening was overdramatic and unnecessary, but I guess they didn't want to scare away new viewers (who joined after S2) and it was nice to see some of the old gang again. Even though they were shamelessly underused again.

The whole ordeal about Paul was on the border of daytime television, but as a jumping off point, I can live with it. As long as we can get the S1-2 vibe back with this storyline, I'm fine with it.

The fact that the end of S6 and the first part of the premiere happened on the same day, bothered me as hell. Everything happened too quickly. And it's just too convenient that Carlos and Gaby both discover a secret on the same day that affects the other one horribly. It's just easy writing and frankly, will be one of the bigger reasons I didn't like the premiere.

I'm also disappointed about Bree's storyline. Orson went out decently (I actually liked him this time, and a little sad to see him go), but him already having someone else is ridiculous. I like Keith too, but I'm disappointed because this way, they dropped the opportunity for Bree to reinvent herself without being in love with some guy again.

What I hated the most, was how they handled the wallpaper scene. It had the potential to be on par with Bree crying after she hears Rex has died in the S1 finale. I could feel the tension building after Orson left, Marcia was amazing... and then, the goofy music and she starts ripping off the wallpaper like it would happen in some stupid sitcom. I can't believe Marc Cherry (writer for this episode) let that scene go to waste.

I never thought I'd say this, but the best in this episode was Vanessa Williams as Renee, and her conversations with Lynette.

And did anyone else notice how the lighting and filming seemed different? Especially at the Solis house.

RenatoB

[14]Sep 27, 2010
    What if Renee were Felicia's spy? Interesting how only now have I thought about that.

Zazawie

[15]Sep 27, 2010
    ^^that would pretty much mean Renee would only be around for the season, which I don't see happening. Williams is probably here to stay until the end.

I'm still pretty sure it's Beth and that's maybe the reason they didn't introduce her yet, because she'd already be suspicious from episode 1.

RenatoB

[16]Sep 27, 2010
    Zazawie wrote:
    ^^that would pretty much mean Renee would only be around for the season, which I don't see happening. Williams is probably here to stay until the end.

I'm still pretty sure it's Beth and that's maybe the reason they didn't introduce her yet, because she'd already be suspicious from episode 1.

Not necessarily. See, Beth could easily be the red herring. My guess is she'll die during February sweeps or so. Renee could be the spy and still stick around afterwards. I mean, why not? Depends on how they play it out.

And then, of course, there's the high chance of this being the final season of DH.

Zazawie

[17]Sep 27, 2010
    You could be right, they change things during the season anyway, so Renee could still leave after one season. My impression was just that they hired Vanessa for a longer time, like Nicollette or Dana, and they still had in mind season 8 was a certainty.

About the final season, I'd actually be ok with it if it was this year. At least, if they know it ahead and not just 3 episodes before the finale. With Paul and the entire S1-2 story returning, it would be full circle.

BrainMan820

[18]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 16

Zazawie wrote:
    ^^that would pretty much mean Renee would only be around for the season, which I don't see happening. Williams is probably here to stay until the end. I'm still pretty sure it's Beth and that's maybe the reason they didn't introduce her yet, because she'd already be suspicious from episode 1.

The problem with that is, according to the plotline, Beth met Paul in prison and was working with him for a while. Felicia was only recently arrested. It would be rather contrived.

marto_dd

[19]Sep 27, 2010

RenatoB wrote:
    And then, of course, there's the high chance of this being the final season of DH.

Really? I mean… really?!?! I thought the show would last until season 8. It would be kinda strange for the show to end this year, since the writers don't really know if they are writing the last season… Don't get me wrong – I really feel it's time for the show to end, but I think the writers should be aware they write the last season from episode 1.

And speaking of ending… I know I'm getting boring, but… Do you guys think there is still a chance for Orson and Bree? I don't mean right away, but maybe at the end of the season or the end of the show… They both moved on, but those could be just rebound relationships… What's important for me is the fact that Bree and Orson still share deep feelings for each other, they still care. Susan and Mike spent a year apart, so did Carlos and Gabby… and both couples reunited at last. But of course Mike and Carlos have always been regular cast members, while Orson is just a guest now. But it took Carlos and Gabby just one episode to realize they are in love again (the finale of season 3), Mike and Susan also needed just one episode (the finale of season 5). Maybe all Bree and Orson need is a series finale. God, I would so love to see them ending up together…

Edited on 09/27/2010 6:36am

Zazawie

[20]Sep 27, 2010
    ^^while I'm confident Orson will reappear again before the finale and possibly one or two episodes this season, Kyle doesn't really want to be on the show anymore. I can see Orson coming back for the final 3 episodes of the show, for example, and rekindle with Bree, but I actually doubt it. Last night's scene, right before she rips off the wallpaper, she's looking at her family pictures. While she's looking at them, you can clearly see she longs back for the time she had with Rex, while her picture with Orson apparently gave her a feeling of disgust.

Especially after she discovered Orson's hooking up with this other woman, I'm sure Orson and Bree will never become an item again. The separation has been building for more than 2 seasons (the real loving couple they once were has been gone for over 7 years in DH's timeline) and at this point, and in my opinion, they're separated further from each other than they ever were, emotionally.

But I am certain we'll see Kyle on the show again before it's over, even if it's just a non-speaking role like Steven Culp last night.