Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

7.01 - "Remember Paul?" - Episode Discussion

TheDarthvader

[21]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 7
    what happened to lynett's daughter? it was a different actress than before
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Zazawie

[22]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 19
    ^^They recast her for unknown reasons. Possibly because she'll have bigger scenes in the future, or just because the first actress wasn't available (school perhaps).

kingoffheg

[23]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 11

Great episode! Loved seeing old faces again, and of course loved Vanessa Williams as Renee.

Lynette was the funniest in the episode, especially her line "I had an entire basketball team come out of me" and the threesome revelation LOL! I look forward to more interactions between Lynette and Renee, they have chemistry together. It's also interesting how Tom gets all weird around her.

Bree didn't really have much to do this episode, it was all about her & Orson separating and then Bree finding out that Orson is already in a new relationship. I do agree with everybody who said that it was too early to introduce a new man in Bree's life but at least nothing has happened so far.

Gabrielle's storyline was surprisingly the most dramatic. I like the dynamic of her & Carlos keeping secrets from each other, they both clearly love each other so much and it's going to be interesting seeing how this plays out in the future.

Susan's storyline was funny. I love the Maxine character, she seemed creepy at first but she's grown on me. It will be funny seeing Susan in her new job, regardless of how silly it really is. I guess this will lead to problems between Susan and Mike, and it's always interesting to have couples BRIEFLY break-up as it usually makes for good drama.

My only complaint is that there really is no mystery this year. Paul's plan? It's not exactly a mystery, nor is the identity of Felicia's accomplice. I just hope the writers introduce some sort of mystery soon because nobody wants a repeat of season five.

And who didn't love Paul's "I did it" to Felicia in prison? Genius!

Zazawie

[24]Sep 27, 2010
    The preliminary ratings for DH are a 9.2 Household rating, way up from last year's 8.0.

Within an hour or so we'll know the demo and million viewers, but this already indicates DH premiered up significantly from last year's premiere.

Arno_00

[25]Sep 27, 2010
    Zazawie wrote:
    And did anyone else notice how the lighting and filming seemed different? Especially at the Solis house.

I noticed that too.

And now a few things I have to say before I'll forget them - more to come later :

In my opinion the season premiere was pretty amazing, though it went by so quickly - the second hour wouldn't hurt...

Now, the thing that bothers me is the some people, facts or happenings come literally out of nowhere : * Like Lynette going with Renee for weekends in New York. Really? 6 years in the real time, over 10 years in the show...Wonder when these weekends take place.

* Like Susan making her own jewellery. That's not such a mistake, but still...I know she's kind of an artistic soul, but it kinda came out of nowhere too...She just sit on the couch and it came to her mind, that she could make her own "jewellery"? And about that haha it was really big, though I enjoyed Lynette's earrings!

* Another one - Judy - another person that comes out of nowhere, I know they don't want to hire some actors to appear in one episode, because there's no point to it, but then they suddenly introduce some person that in our minds never existed...but in the show's world they did, weird....

And another things...referrences to the past seasons, especially season 1, not to mention Paul, Felicia, Mary Alice, Juanita's hit-and-run etc., but also they've brough up Bree's alcoholism - which is great...Plus when Juanita said "You're mean." to Gaby it momentarily reminded me of Ana saying the same thing to her in last year's premiere.

Generally speaking every season has a different vibe, kind of...and it's great. If every season would be the same it'd be boring, I know the show has changed a lot, but I think it's not bad, the premiere contained an amazing mix of freshness and old stuff with some old faces and newcomers - and that's perfect. More to come later.

jasptv

[26]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 5
    I really liked last night's episode. I had chills from the teaser, IMO one of the best, and all it did was refresh our memories.

Susan: Let the humor ensue, me like. I actually though Ana would've been tied into a storyline similar to this, but she's gone and Susan was great in this, I look forward to how this storyline plays out. I liked MJ's lines.

Lynette: I loved all the interactions with Renee, though I kind of guessed her real intentions the storyline and the ending scene was still good TV.

Bree: A bit of an improvement, I was hoping Bree would go back to her anal ways (luvd the wallpaper scene - wonder if it was a reference to the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper") but I see they're doing the risky good girl thing with her again.

Gaby: Probably my 2nd fave storyline of the night. I luv that both characters are keeping secrets from one another and I really think the swapped baby fits well with the Solis's now. I'm anticipating the blow out when all is revealed. I have so many Qs. - What does the real Solis baby looks like - What's the mom like? - What made the nurse do such a thing? being drunk better not be the only explanation

Paul: Brilliant return from 1 of DH's best antagonists. I have not a clue what he's planning and I hope it stays that way for a long time. Felicia, though I wasn't particularly fond of her character before was really good in this ep, especially in her last line. All in all this ep passed very quickly, which is a good thing IMO, very tight and fluid. Hopefully the proceeding eps are on this level and better.

kingoffheg

[27]Sep 27, 2010

The show's ratings are down from last year's premiere...

Zazawie

[28]Sep 27, 2010

Alas, household ratings can be misleading.

"Remember Paul?" garnered a 4.2 rating and 12.80 million viewers. That's down significantly from last year's 4.7 rating in young adults and 13.643 million viewers, but practically the same as May's finale numbers. So no Paul Young- or Vanessa Williams-effect, just steady.

For comparison with ABC's other big show, Grey's Anatomy scored a 5.3 rating and 14.04 million viewers.

So DH sadly started with a clear gap between itself and GA. Hopefully it can restore a little, so they can go head to head again over the course of the season. But considering shows always loose viewers after the premiere, DH will probably continue its downward spiral.

RenatoB

[29]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 43
    Maybe it was the competition... I don't know. I'm disappointed, the ratings said it had like a 9.2/13 (check SpoilerTV), I thought it meant more people watched.

I'm sure GA only got such high ratings because of last May's finale. What were DH's stats with TiVo and such? That also counts for something with the network, right? Because people have just stopped watching TV altogether, right?

Zazawie

[30]Sep 27, 2010
    The final numbers, including TiVo and such, will probably be released sometime tomorrow.

It isn't bad for DH, though. A show in its 7th season getting a 4.2 is still very good, it's just that ABC should be worrying. Now that DH is slowly dropping and GA will soon be doing the same (you're probably right about the influence of the finale), the channel is really losing all its big shows and there's not one new show that can even barely be called a hit.

If DH keeps up numbers like these throughout the season, and probably even with the usual 1-2 million drop, they're still certain to get an 8th season. The problem is that the wives contracts end this season and even if ABC wants them to do another year, they will be demanding a raise. With already earning around 450,000 each per episode on a show which is slowly fading away, how much will ABC take for a raise? And I'm sure Vanessa isn't cheap either.

If ABC refuses to give the show the budget to afford the raises and (at least) one of the wives refuses to stay on the show if she doesn't get her raise, the show is dead.

The worst part about that is that they'll probably won't know it 'till February or something, so right before writing the finale. So there's a chance they'll have to make up a last minute ending for the show, or continue with just 3 of the 4 housewives (or less), which would really kill the show - not only in the ratings, but also to watch it as a fan.

marto_dd

[31]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 17

Zazawie wrote:
    ^^while I'm confident Orson will reappear again before the finale and possibly one or two episodes this season, Kyle doesn't really want to be on the show anymore. I can see Orson coming back for the final 3 episodes of the show, for example, and rekindle with Bree, but I actually doubt it. Last night's scene, right before she rips off the wallpaper, she's looking at her family pictures. While she's looking at them, you can clearly see she longs back for the time she had with Rex, while her picture with Orson apparently gave her a feeling of disgust. Especially after she discovered Orson's hooking up with this other woman, I'm sure Orson and Bree will never become an item again. The separation has been building for more than 2 seasons (the real loving couple they once were has been gone for over 7 years in DH's timeline) and at this point, and in my opinion, they're separated further from each other than they ever were, emotionally. But I am certain we'll see Kyle on the show again before it's over, even if it's just a non-speaking role like Steven Culp last night.

That's so sad, I think I'm about to cry… If what you say is really true – than okay, it's time for the show to end

Okay, maybe I'm half joking, but still. Originally I hated the thought, but I'm starting to like the idea of season 7 being the last. Marc has been saying he knows the final scene for years, so he can always write it in. The characters already want to every possible place, I don't know if they have something to do for another year. Maybe it really is time to say goodbye.

TwistedConverse

[32]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 23
    I thought the episode was amazing. It felt like a S1-4 episode e.g. when the show was amazing. I looooove Felicia too much, easily the best character on the show for me!

As for the ratings, they are strong. The show is in it's seventh season and still pulls in nearly 13 million? Pretty brilliant imo.

And regarding this being the last season, should even one of the main housewives quit they should cancel the show or give it a total reboot - entirely new characters and a new location. There is still a market for a DH type of show and a total reboot could draw in a whole new audience.

Zazawie

[33]Sep 29, 2010
    Final ratings: 4.3 demo + 13.056 million viewers.

I'm glad they went up a little, and at least got to 13 million. What's worrying is that House premiered with practically the same numbers and has now dropped (2nd episode) to 3.8 and 10 million viewers. Hope DH doesn't have such a drop and goes up instead, like last year.

RenatoB

[34]Sep 29, 2010
    ^^That's good news. 13 millions is really not bad. It's not season one ratings, of course, but it hasn't even slipped to half after six years, which is really good.

dirty_laundry

[35]Sep 29, 2010

It's actually higher than season 6's finale which has never happened before. Not even between seasons 1 and 2. Also the reviews for the premiere were generally pretty well received so I have a feeling it will go up next episode. I'm just a little surprised the numbers weren't a little higher up due to Vanessa coming on board and with Paul returning.

I liked the episode, but the only thing was that it didn't feel like a premiere episode. None of the housewives really have a big storyline. Also the drama seems kinda cheesy in a way, if that makes sense. Sometimes the comedy has gotten to be cheesy over the last two seasons but not last night. It was the drama that seemed a little fake. Or maybe the acting was too over-the-top and soapy. I felt like that in almost all of Carlos' scenes and half of Paul and Felicia's. I too am also disappointed Bree didnt have a good emotional scene, but I still liked her ripping off all the wallpaper. I also didnt really sympathize with her when she found out Orson was dating his physical therapist because she had cheated on him for the first half of the 6th season. One of my favorite things about the premiere was the idea of having Gabby and Carlos keeping secrets from one another- very clever. I also like Susan's storyline. Her new setting and job give me this Melrose Place vibe. And of course Vanessa Williams makes a great addition to the cast. I always felt like she belonged on this show when I watched her on Ugly Betty. Now if only they can get Laura Leighton. I think she would also be a great addition.

Mgmble

[36]Oct 2, 2010

I honestly think that beth is involved with felecia and that she will be the one to give paul his "punishment" , but who knows ?

Mattsterzz

[37]Nov 9, 2011
    I was re-watching this episode and i noticed something.In the teaser, it is seen that Paul knocks on Martha Huber door and then he enters. But, in 1x08, he helps with her groceries and goes in the house with her. Arent you a Wiksteria lane Renato? Maybe you could add that to the trivia for that episode?

RenatoB

[38]Nov 9, 2011
    Done, both in the wiki and here on TV.com. Why don't you contribute yourself? We need all the help we can get.