Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

7.03 "Truly Content" - Episode Discussion

What did you think of the episode?

Arno_00

[1]Oct 9, 2010
    • level: 7

This Sunday the third episode of the season will air on ABC. It's entitled "Truly Content" and the storylines in it will involve Susan who'll discover that some of her best, sexy internet show moves are being copied by a competitor; Gabrielle who hires a private detective (and we should probably think of her lawyer friend as this one) to look into an important matter, unbeknownst to Carlos; Lynette will be stunned when Tom's doctor prescribes a rather unorthodox remedy for his depression; and Renee will try to invite a reluctant Bree to go clubbing with her to engage in some local man-hunting and later she will steal Keith away from her.

Guest stars in this episode include Emily Bergl as Beth Young, Daniella Baltodano as Celia Solis, Brian Austin Green as Keith Watson, Lainie Kazan as Maxine Rosen, Kevin Symons as Jack Pinkham, Michael Hamilton as bartender, Gina Comparetto as Babe, Annie Little as Stephanie, Arloa Reston as mother, Natalie Lopez as girl and Michael Kagan as board chairman.

It was written by Matt Berry and directed by Tara Nicole Weyr.

So are you excited about this episode? And what do you hope will happen?

Sound off!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[2]Oct 9, 2010
    • level: 43
    Just the thought of Bree getting all sexed up for Keith makes me want to watch this episode. And the thoughts of Tom being into medical marijuana, Renee going after Keith, Susan engaging in yet another catfight, Gabrielle wanting to track down her biological daughter and Beth having no clue about her husband's true criminal backgrounds don't hurt either.

I think the next few episodes will really continue a streak of awesome shows.

RenatoB

[3]Oct 11, 2010
    This episode was a bit underwhelming compared to the first two, but still enjoyable.

SUSAN: This was the best Susan episode of the season so far, and in a long while (I'm still pissed over how bad a story she got in the finale). I loved her scenes with Mike. I thought her confrontation with Stacy (Rebecca Creskoff, who was great, by the way) was gonna be bigger than that, but it was funny nonetheless. Also, I love Madame Maxine. She is one of the funniest recurring characters the show has featured. Kazan is great in this role. I know this story has gotten some criticism from some of biggest fans of the show, and I don't know why. Teri is a sexy woman with great comedic timing and this story is great for her. I loved the ending with her realisation that if she's going to get back to the lane, she needs to sacrifice a bit more.

BREE and RENEE: Marcia looked really hot in that revamped dress. I'm looking forward to what her competition with Renee will lead up to in the next episode. I am so glad that things are slowly evolving between Bree and Keith, which is way more realistic, rather than, say, Katherine hopping into bed with Robin right away. Vanessa has been wonderful every week.

LYNETTE: This was perhaps the most underwhelming story of the episode, as it was played mostly for laughs, and depression is a very serious matter, and is hardly ever solved that easily. The whole placebo story didn't deliver in my book, I was disappointed that Tom is still acting so childish every time he gets to do something others frown upon (seriously, grow up!), and I expected this story to progress further, rather than be ended on such a sudden note. Maybe there will be repercussions, but it sure doesn't look like that.

GABRIELLE: Eva has been amazing in these first few episodes, we've gotten so used to her comedic stories it's refreshing to see her stepping over to the darker side. Here's hoping Teri will follow her soon enough. When news of this story first broke out I was disappointed that the DH producers would go so low that they'd actually come up with such a soapy cliche, but it has been heart-wrenching all the while, and keeps me excited about what's to come every week. That last scene with Carlos telling Gabrielle he'll leave her if things take a turn for the worse made me fear for them. It was breath-taking.

BETH: Beth was a bigger star in this episode than Paul, which was a welcome change, because she's a lovely new character... and totally loon. Her exchange with Mrs. McCluskey was great (I loved her line about aces in the bra), but I was somewhat disappointed that her discovery of Martha Huber's murder didn't lead to a darker place with her and Paul. He was so scary towards her last week, and now it seems as though they're a match made in heaven and there's nothing dysfunctional about that couple. I get that's the message they're trying to get across to the neighbors, but I had hoped that something more shocking would happen behind closed doors. The lack of mystery is really upsetting, we still have no clue about Paul's secret schemes, and there's been no mention of them since the premiere, with two episodes having aired afterwards. That's a shame.

Anyway, looking forward to next week. BTW, where the hell is Roy? And what is the baby's name? Peyton? I couldn't understand it.

Zazawie

[4]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 19
    I don't have time for a full review this time, so just a few quick remarks:

- Tom high on kitchen herbs was hilarious. For the rest, it was all pretty boring at Scavo's and just same old same old. They really need to do something different in that household than Tom/Lynette fights about his depression or Lynette having trouble with her kids. I understood the baby's name is Paige, btw. Finally the kid gets a name.

- "Are you sure this is a closet and not a portal to the '50's?" Great line, but it's also proof of the fact that Renee is really becoming more and more like Edie, something that really stood out to me this episode. However, Bree and Renee are a great combo and I'm looking forward to the next part of it. Keith was just a prop this episode, so nothing new in that storyline.

- Aah, another Bree freaking out at her front lawn. Reminded me of S2 and the George-scenes, only not so dramatic.

- The scene with Gaby at the mall was great; imagine walking around somewhere, with every girl you see might be your daughter. But I don't like that they're making us hate Carlos again; no reason for that. Btw, he's always been so punctual when it came to blood ties, but now he doesn't seem to care about the other girl. It's a messy situation though, so it might just be the unpredictability of a person's character.

- Susan's bit was funny, but it's really disturbing how well she's going with this. Great secondary characters in this part though, and Lainie Kazan is awesome.

- I liked the new sets. Susan at the washing machine, Bree clubbing,... I always like when they go away from the Lane for a few scenes, like Gaby in NY last year, certainly in a show in its 7th show which focuses on a particular street.

- Beth was ok, but kind of down-played, certainly after her freaky introduction last week. Mrs. McCluskey was great though.

DH-Weirdo

[5]Oct 11, 2010
    I loved this episode so badly, every minute and every second of it. Many housewives-interacting-scenes, drama with Gabby, Susan's fight, the only storyline I was a liiiittle dissipointed at was Lynette's. Funny, but not hilarious..

Arno_00

[6]Oct 11, 2010
    RenatoB wrote:
    And what is the baby's name? Peyton? I couldn't understand it.

From what I've heard she's named PAIGE, which is awesome IMO.

And I totally loved the episode...another with an old season feeling, it's really there. Gonna write more later!

kingoffheg

[7]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 11

Fantastic episode!!

Susan: I'm loving her storyline this year thus far. It is hilarious and has introduced plenty of great new characters (such as Maxine, who is currently one of my favorite characters!). Susan is clearly not feeling proud of what she's doing even though it seems like it at times, I guess there's going to be an explosion in the Delfino household once Mike finds out (and I bet that's going to happen soon). My only complaint is about the actress who played Susan's rival, her acting was off in some scenes (such as when she said she needed the bonus money).

Bree & Renee: They make a GREAT combo! The whole club scene was funny and entertaining, and then Bree going the extra mile to get Keith out of his house. I'm loving Bree & Renee's rivalry but I am disappointed that the producers are playing it the way they played Susan & Mike's relationship, it would be more interesting if Keith & Renee actually hook up for a while before things fall apart and Bree gets a second chance.

Gabrielle: Eva is amazing. Her scene at the mall was beautifully done and acted, I also particularly enjoyed her first scene with the lawyers, the dialogue was very well-written. Though I expected the writers to focus more on Gabrielle's relationship with Juanita after her recent discovery, I mean sure their conversation at the end was lovely and so was their little fashion show but I expected to see more of Gabby's emotions. I also loved Carlos' ultimatum for Gabby, things are getting interesting now.

Lynette: Probably the least interesting storyline, but it was still good. I'm feeling like they are making Lynette come off as inconsiderate and uncaring for her husband (this also happened last week) and I would have honestly taken Tom's side this episode if it wasn't for the scene where he was acting high. Apparently what Tom needed wasn't medication but self-conviction that he had a good life. I do agree with whoever said that the storyline ended on a sudden note without much closure, but maybe there's continuation to this storyline in next week's episode.

Paul: I feel like the Paul storyline isn't really progressing. Paul and Beth's relationship is very unique but I am so not excited about Paul's 'big plan'. There just isn't enough hints or mystery. I really hope the writers surprise us all by introducing some sort of mystery soon, even if it doesn't last season-long.

miss_wierd

[8]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 13

Zazawie wrote:
    But I don't like that they're making us hate Carlos again;

They are? I didn't notice that. I don't hate Carlos. He is going through a rough time just like Gabby. He is scared. He doesn't want to lose his daughter that they had for 8 yrs. And she is their daughter no matter what.

greysanatomy12

[9]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 16

I thought this was better than the last two episodes.

My favorite story line was Gabby's.The ending was pretty intense.

My second favorite story line was Bree vs Renee.Interesting.Bree seems to be competitive with new housewives(Katherine and now Renee).

Susan's story line was good.i actually found myself laughing during the fight.

Lynette's story line was probably the weakest one.Lynette seems to get the worst story lines.

8.5/10

Zazawie

[10]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 19

As expected, the ratings were down from last week. There still was a very decent amount of 12.2 million viewers tuning in, but it fell 14% in the demo to a 3.8, a series low for a Fall episode.

jasptv

[11]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 5

Another great addition to this season, the quality is freakishly S1 good

Susan: Comic genius-ness.

"Be careful how you talk to me, you gigantic freak."

I liked Susan's comical edge, then the two of them fighting lol hotness, and then rounded it off with Susan realizing she needed to save more.

Bree & Renee: The chemistry is amazing.

"This is a cocktail cardigan look closely the buttons are shiney."

- How brilliantly did Mrs. Cross deliver that? really.

The club scene, both ladies were on fire and the hint of rivalry in the end was brilliant, both ladies are ready to compete and I can't wait to see what happens

(great homage 2 S1) I'm loving Renne Perry

Lynette: Hilariousness-

"You, I know what you did?"
    - Tom
    "What ever do you mean?"
    -Lynette (So cheeky)

This wasn't the best storyline of the night, but it was very entertaining. I did find it odd that the placebo effect thing was used to sum it up as mentioned above, as I thought it'd get more dramatic, but I'll wait for next week's ep. Doug Savant was hilarious as a faux-stoner though.

Gaby: Her opening scene could've been better IMO, IDK I think it shoudlv'e been written better and delivered differently. But everything else went uphill from there. Carlos was A-mazing (though I feel for Gaby, I agree with Carlos) the mall scene was really good. Mrs. Longoria turned in another great touching scene with her and Juanita (where was Celia in the fashion show?) and of course the ending scene between the Solises was great drama.

Beth: I love how she's so raw and cute. Just hops over fences in a dress, plus I like her quirky dress sense. But I digress her interaction with the neighbors on the lane was great and she seems like she has something in store for Paul now that she knows his other suspected murder.

Edited on 10/11/2010 9:52am

evafan2005

[12]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 18

Arno_00 wrote:
    RenatoB wrote:
    From what I've heard she's named PAIGE, which is awesome IMO. And I totally loved the episode...another with an old season feeling, it's really there. Gonna write more later!

I used closed caption and it was indeed Paige. love it, way better than Polly!

shenbrat

[13]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 8
    Lynette inconsiderate towards Tom? She was much more considerate to his postpartum depression than he was towards hers. Season one she was stealing prescription meds and having a fantasy about Mary Alice handing her a gun. He couldn't even recall she'd been through that (You don't understand what I'm going through). Apprently it wasn't important enough to make an impression.

RenatoB

[14]Oct 11, 2010
    evafan2005 wrote:

Arno_00 wrote:
    RenatoB wrote:
    From what I've heard she's named PAIGE, which is awesome IMO. And I totally loved the episode...another with an old season feeling, it's really there. Gonna write more later!

I used closed caption and it was indeed Paige. love it, way better than Polly!

I feel the same way. Don't care much for Polly, and it doesn't sound right on a baby for some reason. Of course, all the Pollys in the world started out as babies, but you know what I mean. At first I thought it was Peyton and I was already a little happy, and with Paige I'm happier, as I really like that name. That and Phoebe, the name I suggested earlier. I just find it odd that she gets the same name as Dave's daughter. Oh, well...

Arno_00

[15]Oct 11, 2010
    Haha, it gave me the same creepy feeling too, RenatoB, same name as little Dash, LMAO.

BrainMan820

[16]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 16

All right, I suppose, but it was too zany with not enough dark realizations.

Susan - Susan's arcs are far too self-contained, and limited to one episode a plotline. I don't see Mike caring too much when he finds out what Susan's doing, unless the writers rehash the whole male pride thing. The mini-plots themselves are fine, but I wish Susan wouldn't take such a back-burner.

Lynette - I liked the first part: Lynette was spot-on about medications (bonus points for not taking the easy way out and say it's too expensive) and how they can mess with your mind. Then it just went silly and ridiculous with the pot thing. I think it would have been nice to do something new-agey and weird, without the obvious path of drugs. The middle was boring with the munchies thing. If that had to go for pot, why couldn't they, say, show Tom scrambling trying to find it, then he just starts watching Paige for a minute, with the fingers twitching.

Oh, and BTW, shenbrat, if you recall during the 1st season, Tom was plenty supportive during Lynette's depression. Tom took a week off of work, took over the parenting, and when Lynette suggested a live-in nanny, Tom's response was "We'll find a way to make it work." Clumsy, definitely, but more supportive than Lynette.

Bree - The "shiny buttons" line, pure genius. "That's the back" was good too. I thought this one was solid. A few nice comical moments, no blunders, but it showed that it was more set-up for the next few episodes.

Gabrielle - I liked this, but it's going on too long. Gabrielle has been given lots of very serious plots, and we can't have just one serious plot and three zany ones. Further, this one wasn't much different from the past two episodes with Gabby. Let's get the other girls into some serious stuff, and give Gabby some humor (not slapstick, but comedy)

Renee - First off, glad they put her with Bree: I was worried we were going to have a new Betty Applewhite who was only involved with one housewife. Second, she's graduated into the Edie Britt role quite quickly. This was actually a good choice for the new Edie, better than I thought. I do want her plots to have more substance, however. She can't just be a satellite character: Edie had her own arcs as well. Perhaps there is too much easing.

Beth - Am I the only one who thinks Beth is, well, obvious? That scene asking about Martha makes me think she wants Paul to admit it so she can expose him. I sure hope I'm wrong: Felicia Tillman was long gone by the time she came around and to make her the insider would be contrived. While part of me likes the idea of her having a darker side since she's clearly unbalanced, it needs to be separate from Felicia Tillman

djboy77

[17]Oct 12, 2010

I feel bad for Tom. His medical condition being treated as the comedy storyline, and Lynette - who seems to vacillate between being the most sensible HW on the block and being the most insensitive b1tch on the block - messing with his medication, prescribed by someone who is trained in the treatment of depression. She would (and as I recall, did) go through the roof if Tom messed with her contraceptive pills, or had messed with her cancer meds. And yet, she screws with his treatment and it gets the quirky "fun time" musical score. AFTER she already (last episode) treated his depression itself like a joke, and rightfully got taken down a peg by Renee. So, she admitted she was wrong last episode, and now she's right back to treating him like a joke again in this episode.

Sometimes, I love her. But sometimes, I'm convinced she's just simply a terrible person. No wonder Tom's depressed - his own wife consciously chooses not to show him any respect or consideration.

Edited on 10/12/2010 11:58am

RenatoB

[18]Oct 12, 2010
    ^^I have to disagree. Although I have expressed already my discontempt regarding the way this story was handled, I blame the writers for it sucking, and not the characters. I wanted the depression to provide a much more serious storyline. But as soon as Tom learnt he was going to be smoking pot, he seemed happy as can be. Lynette didn't treat it lightly. He did. It just goes to show that he only had the blues because he was bored or what-not. The sooner he was able to do something cool and out of the ordinary, he was excited. Do you understand what I mean? The writers screwed it up, because depression is a serious matter, and it wasn't dealt with in this episode appropriately. The way they handled it in the previous episode was great, because Lynette's reaction to his condition is exactly how almost everyone reacts to it, they don't take it seriously, to them it's like "oh, for Christ's sake, suck it up and smile, we all have issues". Showing a more comprehensive Lynette towards the end of the episode, after Renee spoke to her, was a very good step in the right direction for both the characters and the story. This week, they pretty much made it so that what Lynette said about Tom's condition being known by its initials, "B.S.", was accurate. All it takes is the thought of smoking marijuana to feel better? Noticed how he didn't even seem sad at all before he took the drugs, when he was reaching for the cheese doodles with the head phones. I never had depression, thankfully, but if I did, I'm sure that'd be hard to watch. Like, you know, "I wanna throw my remote at the TV"-hard-to-watch. Lynette switched the marijuana to teach him a lesson: he didn't need it to be happy. She was right. That's being a good wife in my book. Tom is way too childish for his own good. Or hers. Also, on a side note, medical marijuana is used for healing many things, so it's very good, but I do agree that Tom using it to cure his depression (when he clearly wasn't all that depressed) would really just send the wrong message to his kids. "Got the blues? Smoke some weed! Daddy will join you in a sec."

shenbrat

[19]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 8
    djboy77 wrote:

I feel bad for Tom. His medical condition being treated as the comedy storyline, and Lynette - who seems to vacillate between being the most sensible HW on the block and being the most insensitive b1tch on the block - messing with his medication, prescribed by someone who is trained in the treatment of depression. She would (and as I recall, did) go through the roof if Tom messed with her contraceptive pills, or had messed with her cancer meds. And yet, she screws with his treatment and it gets the quirky "fun time" musical score. AFTER she already (last episode) treated his depression itself like a joke, and rightfully got taken down a peg by Renee. So, she admitted she was wrong last episode, and now she's right back to treating him like a joke again in this episode.

Sometimes, I love her. But sometimes, I'm convinced she's just simply a terrible person. No wonder Tom's depressed - his own wife consciously chooses not to show him any respect or consideration.

Lynette didn't offer to pass out her contraceptives or her cancer meds like she was handing out breath mints. Why is she faulted for being spot on about how Tom was treating the sitiation?

Chipslinger

[20]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 12

I wrote a review of this episode and I talked about Carlos being replaced by another actor. But after checking, it seems like I was wrong. So, anyway, I haven't watched Desperate Housewives for a while, but everyone else looked about the same. Did the actor who plays Carlos lose weight or shave off his mustache? Different hair style?

I think that if Juanita is not really Gabby's biological daughter, that could explain a lot. If she finds her real daughter and they reunite, that could open up a whole new set of problems. Imagine how she'd cope with a miniature Gabby? Especially when she becomes a teen. Dose of her own medicine.

I think I am really going to enjoy the Bree/Renee rivalry. Bree looked fantastic in that low cut black dress. Brian Austin Green thrown into the mix? I read that he just married Megan Fox! On 90210 he was supposed to be in love with Tori Spelling, so you know that he is a good actor (Just a little joke because really I do like Tori a lot, but you have a show full of underwear models and then her. She kind of stuck out like a sore thumb. Oh yeah, her daddy was the producer. That explains it.).