Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

7.15 'Farewell Letter' Episode Discussion

DH-Weirdo

[1]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 7

Lynette and Tom feel that it's time for twins Porter and Preston to move out on their own and learn how to become responsible adults... but the boys end up moving out to a pad that's a little too close to home. Meanwhile, as part of Gabrielle's therapy, she and Carlos pay a visit to her hometown to confront her past and discover that she has left a lasting impression on the town. Keith (guest star Brian Austin Green) asks Bree to move to Florida with him to be closer to his son, whereas Susan uses her kidney ailment to garner special treatment in public places, and, after sending son Zach (Cody Kasch) to rehab, Paul makes a decision about his life with Beth (guest star Emily Bergl).

This episode was written by Marco Pennette and directed by David Grossman.

Discuss!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kingoffheg

[2]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 11

LOVED this one!!!! MUCH BETTER than last week!

Gabrielle: The BEST storyline of the night. The first scene reminded me so much of a scene from "Something's Coming" when Gabby and Carlos were packing to leave. The rest of the storyline was unexpected and very well-done. It was funny seeing Gabby love being the center of attention and then that scene between her and the nun was POWERFUL.

Bree: The second best storyline of the night. At first I was getting weary of Bree's scenes centering on Keith only but this storyline turned out to be quite pivotal. It was really sad seeing Bree & Keith break up, that scene was incredible and it will be interesting to see what happens with Bree from now on.

Paul/Beth: The car scene with Zach and Mike was fine, it made sense to include that scene was Zach was clearly against going to rehab last week. Paul's first confrontation with Beth was also very well-done, I was waiting for him to tell her that he knows about Felicia but didn't! And then Paul's confrontation with Paul was just so well-written with so many amazing lines such as "nobody can love you" which lead to the final scene in which Paul kicked Beth out, even though she TRULY loves him. I look forward to see what happens with them.

Lynette: I loved the fact that the storyline centered on her kids, but wondered why Stella wasn't in the episode. Anyway, it was a cute storyline with a couple of chuckles and a cliche yet sweet ending. I hope Lynette gets a proper storyline soon since she's been pretty much useless this season.

Susan/Renee: Susan wasn't featured that much in this episode but it was quite amusing to see her use her disease to get things more easily. The last scene was funny and when Susan fell on the foor it was just a little scary but I'm wondered what the point of that was since the episode ended and there was no scene of her during the ending narration.. is this storyline going to be continued next episode?

Anyway, I LOVED this episode. It had so many powerful scenes and it was so eventful. Next episode looks AMAZING but I think it's very clear who's going to die. Season 7 has been pretty great thus far!

Zazawie

[3]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 19
    Much better than last week, but nothing more than okay.

Susan: I liked the cliffhanger, but she reached another level of b*tchyness for me. Just because you're sick doesn't mean you should use it like that. I might have liked it if she saw she was doing the wrong thing, but even at the restaurant in the end, she was still enjoying it with a smile on her face. No pity, but again, good cliffhanger.

Bree: this storyline just didn't get to me at all. I don't know why, probably the execution and choice of scenes, but I don't feel for any of these characters. I liked Keith in the first 10 episode of the seasons, but lately he was just dragging down Bree. Glad he's gone, so we can move on to better things.

Lynette: funniest one of the episode, but filler and too predictable. I hate that they just dropped the Stella story, and I really hope they remember to kick out the twins in one of the next few episodes. Just because they made McCluskey's house into a mess, doesn't mean they should just be allowed to stay at home. And btw, this is the second time they brough back the Kinsman twins for 2 seconds of screen time. It's great they want to return now and then, but is this really necessary?

Gabrielle: the scenes involving the stepfather were great, but the whole celebrity thing wasn't necessary. I hate that they didn't show Gabby's stepfather's grave. I always hoped for a confrontation with her stepfather ever since they brought it up (season 2, no?) and now they don't even visit the grave? The scene with the nun was great, but there should've been a follow-up. This ended way too quickly and it seems like they just did this to give a quick ending to the depression storyline.

Paul/Beth: finally something happens. Aside from the fact that they made it way too obvious what's gonna happen next episode, I liked it. It could've been more creative though. All they did was have Zach confirm what we've known for years (he doesn't love Paul) and have Paul kicking out Beth. The acting was good, but the writing was so... mellow, I don't know. It could've used a little more spice to it.

Decent episode, but it still doesn't repair the damage done by last week's episode. The writers have clearly hit a block with several episodes, or they're just dragging it out too long. It's time for the Andrew-ran-over-Juanita thing to come back to set things into the next gear.

txgirl75

[4]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 23
    I thought Gabby's storyline was the best. I thought it was kind sad Lynett's two older boys didn't want to move out on their own. Usually kids are ready to go to college and move out. I guess we said bye to Brian Austin Green.

Zazawie

[5]Feb 21, 2011

After last week's debacle, DH isn't dead yet. Ratings rose 15% to a 3.1 rating and 10.48 million viewers, practically the same as it had a month ago when airing against the Golden Globes.

Good to see the ratings rise again, away from that 10 million mark, but it still hasn't recovered the 2.5 million viewers that left with the Golden Globes and last night, it was without big competition.

Let's see what the upcoming breaks are gonna do to the show...

Edited on 02/21/2011 9:10am

RenatoB

[6]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 43
    Can someone tell me what the transeunt lady told Gaby? "Looks like someone hasn't seen the new ... yet."

evafan2005

[7]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 18

stop light

RenatoB

[8]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 43
    evafan2005 wrote:

stop light

Thanks.

BrainMan820

[9]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 16

I did not like this episode that much. Watchable, but not great.

Susan - This arc bothered me a lot, not because it was out of character, but because it was weak, filler. I want to see more of Susan than just about her kidneys. Even on dialysis, Susan has a life, we should see it.

Lynette - The helplessness of Porter and Preston was borderline unrealistic. If Lynette had said something about her control issues, and doing everything herself because she wants to be in control, that would have been better than playing Stella and her sisters. I'm also completely against Lynette causing damage to Mrs. McCluskey with the keg party, she should have replaced everything since she deliberately caused the problem.

Bree - This arc needed to end, but it ended with a whiffle. It wasn't exciting at all, it was expected and a little heartwarming, but nothing really interesting happened. Where Bree goes from here, however, that might be worth looking into.

Gabrielle - It had all the components, but I was missing the nun. For such a powerful event, it didn't have enough build-up, and it kinda just fell into place. I think I would have liked it better if she talked to Carlos first about the nun, maybe avoided her when heading to the cemetary the first time, and then, as she's talking to him, realizing it's the nun she hates and goes after her. Or, if that happened, Carlos confronts the nun and Gabrielle watches in secret, it would have been more exciting and different. Other than that, it was kind of interesting.

Paul - This was my least favorite Paul episode to date, and I love Paul's character. That he'd just believe Zach right then and there? And in doing so, kick out Beth? It seemed more like a plot device to get Beth out of the house. It does have potential, but seems so not like Paul, who didn't give a crap what others thought. It's got a set-up with Beth choosing between Paul and Felicia, although it seems Paul would become far too nihilistic to care. Turning that might be interesting.

shenbrat

[10]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 8

I don't think it was all or even mostly 'control' issues on Lynette's part. I mean when have we ever seen her try to stop one of the kids from cooking, cleaning, doing laundry? She asks a grown twin to move clothes from the washer to the dryer and gets called a b#### for that outlandish request. No, Lynette does not refuse to let the kids pitch in or do for themselves and had a major issue with Allison when she waited on them. Her mother in lawcritiques her for NOTwaiting on her kids (the sons in particular). So which is it?

They play like they are too dumb to know where eggs are kept when they wake her up at the buttcrack of dawn and that's when Lynette is supposed to give a lesson in how to make a Denver omlet so they can impress the girls from the kegger they want to hook up with? Frankly it's tiring for Lynette's control issues to be thrown out so freely as the excuse for any other Scavo family members faults. They do a fine job controlling her and play her for a sucker.

Edited on 02/26/2011 5:49pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Zazawie

[11]Mar 26, 2012
    I watched this episode for the first time since last year, but oh boy was it dull. I didn't remember it being so boring and dragging. My review from last year seems too positive now.

The Keith and Bree scenes were just the same everytime they go on screen and they ruined Keith's character ever since he got into that fight with his dad.

I don't know, the writing just didn't do it this episode. It seems like they had very little story to develop and had to do their best to fill 40 minutes.

And while I always looked forward to see the entire Young family again, Cody Kasch had no charisma in this episode at all. His scenes with Paul were cringeworthy and while it's a crappy send off, I'm glad we probably won't see him anymore.