Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

7.21 - "Then I Really Got Scared" Episode Discussion

Which housewife did better?

RenatoB

[1]May 7, 2011
    • level: 43

This Sunday, May 8th, the 155th episode of "Desperate Housewives" (7.21), and the next-to-last episode of the season, will air on ABC. The episode is titled "Then I Really Got Scared" and was written by Valerie A. Brotski and directed by Larry Shaw. Watch and discuss it here.

Summary:

Paul begins to suspect that Susan is responsible for his rapidly declining health, and Lynette and Tom butt heads over where to go on their family vacation, as well as which one of them will set it up. In the meantime, Gabrielle shows Juanita a horror movie and has to pay the price when her daughter becomes too scared to sleep in her own bed, whereas Bree runs into some trust issues when she goes out on a date with a detective.

Guest stars include Harriet Sansom Harris as Felicia Tilman, Jonathan Cake as Chuck Vance, John Rubinstein as Principal Hobson, Malese Jow as Violet, Beth Littleford as Dana, and former series regular Max Carver as Preston Scavo.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[2]May 7, 2011
    Needless to say, I put Felicia in the poll instead of Renee because I figure the former will be more notable in this episode.

RenatoB

[3]May 8, 2011
    I am currently watching the episode and am already annoyed at Lynette. Seriously, you're gonna throw a tantrum because your husband surprises you with an awesome trip to Hawaii? So what if you've made plans already, cancel them to make room for something much better.

StylishCandy

[4]May 8, 2011
    • level: 5

I hope I'm not the only one who -loved- this episode, because I really did. It was in my opinion one of the better episodes in season 7, which has been somewhat disappointing for me.

bree;; Okay, I actually didn't like Bree's story that much. I can't stand Chuck, he's irritating. Did like the reference to George though.

gabrielle;; At first, I thought the story was kinda lame But when that second guy [who at first I didn't realize who it was] showed up, I kinda got creeped out. Judging by the previews for the finale, I think it'll be a fairly good storyline, I hope. I have a question though; do these people not have backyards? Couldn't they have camped out in the back instead of in the front? I remember seeing a backyard once or twice at the Solis' house, like in season three. Also...I guess the whole "breakup" with Gabby/Carlos is over? [I missed some of the beginning so this might've been mentioned] This season -has- had a bad habit of doing that, just sort of "dropping" storylines.

susan;; Usually, Susan's storylines bore me. Not this one though! Seriously though, this "little" anti-freeze interests me much more than kidneys, hospitals and money issues.I like her and Paul being friends, I wasn't expecting her to be arrested though. I think tying Susan with the Felicia/Paul story was a good idea on the writers' part.

lynette;; ...Lynette's extremely annoying in these past few episodes - which housewife wouldn't want a vacation to Hawaii and would be mad at their husband for planning it? Sounds a lot more interesting than camping anyway. I think it's inevitable they break up.

I have high hopes for the season finale, which seems that there is not much being revealed [which is good, I read the spoilers too much].

Edited on 05/08/2011 7:33pm

RenatoB

[5]May 8, 2011
    I loved this episode. I'll provide a full review come the morning.

BrainMan820

[6]May 8, 2011
    • level: 16

Not too bad, actually

Lynette/Tom - I can perfectly understand, and even support, Tom's decision to surprise the family with a Hawaiian vacation. It was his first big job, with big money, he wanted to go all out, I'm fine with that. Also fine with Lynette being upset (plans wasted and all). Perfectly okay with them letting the kids decide, but that fight at the end came out really ham-fisted. I think Lynette is a hypocrite, and her refusal to see the control issues is bad, but Tom can't recognize it in himself either.

Bree - Chuck was a bit better, and I thought the scene with the hooker was funny and heartwarming, but it was still pretty uninteresting.

Gabrielle - This was relatable to anyone whose had young children, and that made it fun. The guy in the hat though, not enough done with him. Whose he supposed to be. Maybe if he was looking at a picture or something, that would have been better.

Susan/Paul- This arc was one of the best things to happen to Housewives in a long time. It pulled Susan out from that annoying ditz role and stuck her in the meat of it, played her off Paul (which they do well). I can understand Felicia not crossing Paul's mind because he doesn't know she helped him, but not Susan? She's not brainless, or that brainless. The end scene, though, at the school function, was too cheesy until Paul came and arrested her.

shenbrat

[7]May 8, 2011
    • level: 8
    Honestly the surprise trip to Hawaii sounds awesome. But if someone else tends to be in charge of vacation plans it would make sense to give her a heads up before she started planning. Just seemed like part awesome surprise for the kids part Lynette looks lame and can't pull off something as good as Hero Dad can. Kind of like if you're going to surprise me with taking me out for steak and lobster tell me before I stop in the Mickey D's drive through and bring takeout crap home.

NovemberRose

[8]May 9, 2011
    • level: 7
    Susan was the standout in this episode, especially in the ending. You can just feel the tension and desperation.

marto_dd

[9]May 9, 2011
    • level: 17

Amazing episode, I really like it!
    Bree was so great! I love Chuck, he is everything her character needed to stop being that horrible stuck. Every single scene of them was just perfect and I loved it! ^^
    Susan was amazing. Her acting was really perfect in this episode and I loved her ending. And I felt sorry for Paul, I like the way the writers are using him, not as a villain, but once again as a victim.
    Gabby's story was pretty uneventful till the second-to-last scene. Creepy guys are creepy. I loved her scene with Lee, though.
    My only disappointment is Lynette's part. I liked it, it was well-written and perfectly acted, but I just have the feelings the writers are forcing the break-up too much. Seriously, Lynette is being written so unlikeable lately… Oh well. Hope it will be better in the finale.

RenatoB

[10]May 9, 2011

I really, really liked this episode, I simply enjoyed watching it all the way through. I was disappointed to see that I was wrong, Felicia didn't appear more than Renee (only being featured in one scene, sadly), but that's okay. I can hardly wait for the season finale!

LYNETTE: The story I looked the least forward to turned out to quite possibly be my favorite one of the entire season. I take back everything I said about Lynette and Tom getting yet another crappy money-related arc. I am loving their on-going feuds. The whole theme of them butting heads over a family vacation sounded lame, but it just goes to show how any little thing with them right now can lead to a smackdown, and it does make sense. And it is entertaining. I would had much rather see Kayla come back towards the end of this season, yes, but this does indeed make for a nice substitute for that story. Also, I loved how much the kids were featured throughout the episode. Excluding Parker's speachless cameos during Mary Alice's voice-overs in recent episodes, the Scavo kids had been MIA for quite some time, ever since February. It was nice seeing them all again, and in what was a great amount of screen-time. Felicity and Doug were amazing in their fights, of course. You gotta hand it to those two to nail every single line. BTW, like I said whilst watching the episode, I take Tom's side. Again. Granted, Lynette's pitch also sounded interesting. But that came afterwards.

GABRIELLE: Okay, aside from the whole thing with the stalker (I was surprised to see that Tony Plana was credited and appeared in this episode), we all know this story was filler and unnecessary, right? They could had done the introduction of the stalker without the cheesy story that preceded it. I love the dynamic between Eva and young Madison, and to add Lee to the mix (where's Bob? Is he always in the shower?) only made things better, but I didn't care much for this part of the episode. It didn't get me laughing, it didn't get me crying, it didn't shock me... nothing.

SUSAN: Needless to say, I loved this story, I have been loving it all throughout. It's never been the most original one, but Susan + Paul + Felicia make it work. I expected to see something more during the school assembly, but they went in a predictable direction. The whole thing was too similar to Tom trying to get everyone to ditch the pot-laced brownies in 4.03. At least then there would had been bigger consequences, as in, people could actually get stoned off of them. No one was gonna die by eating Susan's cookies (unless they were already being poisoned by someone else in the meantime and only needed an extra dose to kick the bucket). But, of course, Susan didn't know that, which makes sense, considering she isn't the one poisoning Paul. I can't wait to see how this all plays out in the finale, I hope Susan's the one in the blue sweater shown in the promo, screaming while being grabbed by someone. One thing, though: where's Mike in all of this? Where was he in this episode? James Denton has been absent from 6 episodes already this season, it's like they don't even try to include him anymore. Even when he's not needed, Doug Savant is always there.

BREE: I really liked this story, I really like Chuck, and I really like the new pairing. I hope the detective becomes Bree's third "The One". I like the way their relationship is blossoming, and I can't wait to see it developing even further next season. It's kinda disappointing that things have come to a point where Bree can't have a story without having a man, and it's a bit odd that Marcia Cross is the only one currently having to always co-star with new castmembers, because Steven Culp, Joy Lauren, Shawn Pyfrom and Kyle MacLachlan have all departed from the main cast. Every other housewife is still sharing stories with at least one core castmember, or others who have been on for quite a while, but not Bree. Anyway, the thing with the prostitute was very moving. That was one of my favorite parts. The dinner scene was hilarious, but, of course, I had already seen most of it (the funniest bits) during its sneak peek. I'll try to lay off of those before the season finale.

RENEE: Is it me, or is Renee always featured during Mary Alice's post-credits opening voice-overs? Either checking her mailbox, or donating to charity, or checking out a new dress she bought for her birthday... she's always in them. I guess that's the price that comes with not having a story to focus on. She had three scenes throughout the episode, and one of them was the three seconds it took her to open the mailbox and look annoyed. Poor Vanessa Williams...

MARY ALICE: I really liked Mary Alice's voice-overs in this episode. I particularly liked how it ended with Gabrielle and the phrase "things that go bump in the night", for some reason.

Edited on 05/09/2011 2:57am

Zazawie

[11]May 9, 2011
    • level: 19

Decent episode, which slowly sets things in motion for the finale, but it doesn't feel like it.

--Gabrielle--

I knew it was gonna be Lee scaring them the first time! But it was mostly filler, as expected. There really isn't much to say about this, only that I'm looking forward for next week, when this (hopefully)'s gonna explode.

--Bree/Renee--

I liked Renee in this. Although she acted exactly as Edie would have, I'm starting to like Vanessa more and more. She's really grown into the character over the last year and I hope she gets more screen time next season, so she can finally deserve her billing (unlike her place on the S7 DVD).

I'm also growing more fond of Jonathan Cake. He has this charm that makes him easier to accept, but I'm still not thrilled with Bree having another man. Bree falling for him because he told she was a hooker in the past was lame as well. It was too obvious why they did that. Next week looks terribly weak for a finale storyline as well.

--Lynette--

Same old, same old, but I liked how the kids got some more screen time as a family, even though if it was just acting as monkeys on the sofa (I'm talking to you, Preston). This does look promising for next week though, I'm just hoping they have some plans for next season. I'm all in for shaking things up in this family, but they need to know where to go from here and not make up as they go along.

--Susan--

Meh, too dramatic at the end. The whole thing with her cookies being mixed up with the others was unnecessary and it was ridiculous how nobody had even had one of hers already. She also could've thought of something else besides saying 'My cookies are poisoned!', making her look even more like a lunatic. And then Paul marging in with two cops... no, too much Hollywood in that. This is all too mellow for the penultimate episode of the season. If next week means the REAL ending for Paul and Felicia's story, then I'll really be pissed. The build-up in season 2 was much better than this year's.

So, where is the tension for the finale? Aside from Susan's storyline, there's nothing big like Eddie or Patrick Logan last year. They should've brought in Gaby's stalker in a little earlier, just so we had a little more info to know he isn't good news.

rentlover1

[12]May 9, 2011

They need to wait with Gabby's story cause of who he turns out to be. They cant give anything away otherwise it will be to obvious. Based on the trailer for next week I'm sure it will be explosive.

Well I enjoyed this week. Mainly a set up week but it still gave me enough to anticipate for next week that I was on edge at the end of the episode wanting more. Susan's arrest was very cool. I think there was a more mature way to speak to the parents regarding the cookies BUT they obvious felt some comedy was needed there.

The plot that made me laugh the most was Lynette and Tom. Poor Lynette wanted to win so bad it just made me laugh. Felicity was gold here and I enjoyed the big fight and felt really upset for Penny. Very good writing here and cant wait for next week- I'm still hanging out for Tom to kiss Renee. I'm sure its where its headed and the trailer seems to support me.

Gabby was a bit uneventful but as I said the trailer for next week really got me going. My friend I was watching it with had no idea who it was so I had pleasure knowing while he was freaking out about it.

Finally Bree is back to form which makes me like Jonathan Cakes character. I have missed 'stick-up-her-ass' Bree very much. Bree really just hasn't been herself since she kissed Karl in the finale of Season 5. While her character still had some of classic Bree for season six, the first 15 episodes of season 7 with Keith really ruined her for me which is sad cause she has always been my favourite. However now she is back and I really enjoyed her banter with Cake. I just wish there had been more. It kinda ended before everyone else's plots and that was disappointing.

Overall a really nice episode and I cant wait for next week. While it is the end of Season 7 I am glad that the 2 parter is only on one week rather then spread across two. If that happened I dont know how I'd cope. lol.

Edited on 05/09/2011 4:37am

Zazawie

[13]May 9, 2011

RenatoB wrote:
    I hope Susan's the one in the blue sweater shown in the promo, screaming while being grabbed by someone.

I'm pretty sure that's Felicia, you can see her new glove and it sounds like her moaning.

RenatoB

[14]May 9, 2011
    Zazawie wrote:

Same old, same old, but I liked how the kids got some more screen time as a family, even though if it was just acting as monkeys on the sofa (I'm talking to you, Preston). So, where is the tension for the finale? Aside from Susan's storyline, there's nothing big like Eddie or Patrick Logan last year. They should've brought in Gaby's stalker in a little earlier, just so we had a little more info to know he isn't good news.

How do you know it was Preston? Can you tell the twins apart, or did someone mention his name directly to him throughout that sequence (I can't remember)?

To be fair, last season the next-to-last episode could be considered part of the 2-hour finale because it ended with a "To Be Continued..." card. So, basically, the next-to-last episode would be 6.21, which also didn't provide that great a set-up, and the difference would be that this year the two hours of the finale aren't spread through two weeks.

Zazawie wrote:

RenatoB wrote:
    I hope Susan's the one in the blue sweater shown in the promo, screaming while being grabbed by someone.

I'm pretty sure that's Felicia, you can see her new glove and it sounds like her moaning.

You're right, I just re-watched it on YouTube in HD. It's Felicia. Interestingly enough, she's never actually been involved in any confrontation that required physical violence. I'm kind of excited about this.

rentlover1

[15]May 9, 2011

Besides Zach bashing her with a base ball bat in the finale of season 1 but we didnt see that.

RenatoB

[16]May 9, 2011
    rentlover1 wrote:

Besides Zach bashing her with a base ball bat in the finale of season 1 but we didnt see that.

Right, I'd forgotten about that. That must've hurt.

djboy77

[17]May 9, 2011
    • level: 7

Lynette's point would be more persuasive if she didn't have a long history of undermining and emasculating her husband, frequently plotting to get her own way in a competition he is unaware even exists. I like Chuck, especially since he can match wits and repartee with Bree, but I'm curious about the description of the next episode and his "relationship with men". I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gabby is a bad parent.

Zazawie

[18]May 9, 2011

^^I'm treating next week's episode as a 2-hour finale, not as two seperate episodes like last season. After all, last night's episode is in the same position as 7.22 last year: provide cliffhangers for the finale. They knew well ahead that they were gonna have a 2-hour finale, so they knew this would be their last episode before that and their last chance to grasp their audience.

But if you want to look at it as seperate episodes, I still don't think this episode did a good job at gaining momentum. "Mother Said" in season 4 had that Wayne going crazy that Dylan wasn't his daughter. In season 5 it seems Dave was much further in his manipulation scheme in "Marry Me A Little" than things are now. I just have the feeling they're saving too much for the finale.

And I didn't know for sure it was Preston, I sometimes try to see who's who by looking who's expression is the dumbest, but that hasn't really been working. I just guessed.Tongue out

Edited on 05/09/2011 9:02am

Zazawie

[19]May 9, 2011

Ratings: a 2.8 in the key demo (even with last week) and 9.650 million viewers (up a little).

It could've been worse, since ratings usually drop on Mother's Day, but normally ratings would've picked up by now. This season's really had the worst retention ever and that demo really isn't good.

For comparison: Brothers & Sisters (also airing on ABC on yesterday) had a 2.0 demo and 7 million viewers for its finale and is on the verge of being canceled.

Edited on 05/09/2011 9:08am

RenatoB

[20]May 9, 2011
    Zazawie wrote:

^^I'm treating next week's episode as a 2-hour finale, not as two seperate episodes like last season. After all, last night's episode is in the same position as 7.22 last year: provide cliffhangers for the finale. They knew well ahead that they were gonna have a 2-hour finale, so they knew this would be their last episode before that and their last chance to grasp their audience.

But if you want to look at it as seperate episodes, I still don't think this episode did a good job at gaining momentum. "Mother Said" in season 4 had that Wayne going crazy that Dylan wasn't his daughter. In season 5 it seems Dave was much further in his manipulation scheme in "Marry Me A Little" than things are now. I just have the feeling they're saving too much for the finale.

And I didn't know for sure it was Preston, I sometimes try to see who's who by looking who's expression is the dumbest, but that hasn't really been working. I just guessed.Tongue out

What I was going for is that most likely all the juicy set-up and cliffhangers will be saved for the ending of part 1 next week, which I agree won't have that much of an impact then because we will watch the consequences shortly afterwards in part 2.

However, I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your comparison between this episode and "Marry Me a Little". 5.22 was the worst next-to-last show in the history of the series in my book, it was so tame, and didn't provide much more of a set-up than regular episodes do for the ones that afterwards.

It's a shame you can't tell who's who, I could use that. In 5.18 only one twin is shown sticking a fork into the toaster. imdb.com lists him as Charlie Carver in the role of Porter, so I went with that, but I'm not sure. I'd like to know it because of that blurb I always put in episodic guides listing the regulars who didn't appear.