Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.01 - "Secrets That I Never Want to Know" Episode Discussion

What did you think of the premiere?

RenatoB

[1]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 43

Today, Sunday, September 25th, 2011, the first episode of the VERY LAST SEASON of "Desperate Housewives", titled "Secrets That I Never Want to Know", will air, marking the last time we look forward to a new season of our beloved show. The episode was written by new shorunner Bob Daily and directed by series regular David Grossman. Discuss it here after viewing. Let's make this a "hot" thread, shall we?

You can watch the promo for the last season here, and the promo for this particular episode here. Also, check out sneak peeks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, all courtesy of DH Central.

Summary:

Carlos's murder of his wife Gabrielle's evil stepfather and the cover-up by the housewives has far-reaching effects, as feelings of guilt begin to overcome everyone in different ways. Gabrielle works to reach out to Carlos while his guilt weighs heavily upon him, and Susan starts to withdraw from her friends and family. As Lynette and Tom are grappling with their disintegrating marriage and impending separation, the former is having trouble making the right choices ever since she participated in the cover-up. And Bree must be especially careful around her new romantic interest, detective Chuck Vance. Meanwhile a sexy new neighbor, Ben Faulkner, moves to town, and he's Renee's first order of business.

Jonathan Cake (Chuck Vance) and Madison De La Garza (Juanita Solis) are promoted to main castmembers, along with newcomer Charles Mesure (Ben Faulkner).

Guest stars in the episode include Tony Plana as Alejandro, Wendy Benson as Mrs. Henderson, Michael Blaiklock as Father Benson, Sam McMurray as Father Dugan and former series regulars Joshua Logan Moore as Parker Scavo and Darcy Rose Byrnes as Penny Scavo.

No spoilers are allowed in this thread beyond this post.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[2]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 43
    I can't believe this episode already received 3 votes here on TV.com, and the average is 4 - Poor. People are stupid sometimes...

MarkoTodorovi

[3]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 4
    I just watched the episode and I was thrilled! It was funny and I enjoyed. The scene with Bree and Gaby in the car was hilarious! The last scene I was covered with goosebumps! Great beginning of the end. AMAZING!

txgirl75

[4]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 23
    it was great loved it too. Lot of funny moments. Love the car thing too. Did it seem like some of the scene was cut. Like after the hampster died Gabby and Susan were talking and felt like some of it was cut because of the commercial. at the end when Lynette was talking it felt like some of it was cut off? Just wondering but other wise great episode. I know just one episode but seems like this is going to be a great last season..

zedtaker

[5]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 14
    Read my review.
    I just witnessed one of the best and probably THE best desperate housewives season premiere of all time, its THAT good!
    This was a CLASSIC!

Mattsterzz

[6]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 7
    Definatly agree, Desperate housewives is my life, but i'll admit that sometimes they try to hard to be funny in a serious situation and that didnt happen in this episode. The car scene was hilarious, especially with the chewing tobacco. But that dream that Lynette had was scary! And OMFG i cant believe i almost forgot, WHO WROTE THE LETTER?

Zazawie

[7]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 19
    Really great episode, an instant classic. The comedy and drama were nicely balanced, the new dynamic between the girls really freshes things up and probably one of the best cliffhangers (+ narrations) in the show's history.

Most memorable scenes were Susan falling apart at Cupcake's funeral and of course Gaby in the car. The abduction of the priest fell a little flat, but Gaby chewing tobacco made my day.

I don't know whether it's Marc Cherry passing the torch to Bob Daily or a new crew or something, but the show looked better than it has in years. The colors were vibrant, the backgrounds seemed more alive and the look was more film-like.

Definitely one of the best premieres and a great way to start the final season. Also a nod to the writers for making the mystery cliffhanger housewife centered this time, instead of dropping a hint about the new neighbor.

Can't wait for next week, while feeling sad at the same time. We've seen our final premiere episode...

rentlover1

[8]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 8

Was sad there was no appearance from Mary Alice in the end and also that Ben was so underused. But other then that I really loved this episode. I believe the Mary Alice appearance was originally slated for Episode 3 (which makes sense since thats when they realized it was going to be the last season)- I cant wait to see her on screen again and also see how Bree deals with the letter.

KamakaLo

[9]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 22
    This premiere was so good I couldn't help but make a comment about it. I haven't laughed like this with a dh episode in the longest time and not only that it was just overall good. I can only hope this means it will be a great final season and go out with a bang.

Mattsterzz

[10]Sep 26, 2011
    It was a amazing episode and instantly became one of my favourites, but, Isnt Ben going to have a secret or what? or are they keeping his secret until the murder calms down a bit

DH-Weirdo

[11]Sep 26, 2011

I loved the premiere so much!! It was so much going on, dramatic and funny. That Felicity said in the season 7 promo behind the scenes, with the show going in a new direction in the 7th year... Well, I think she said the wrong number

kingoffheg

[12]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 11

Absolutely loved it! I really felt like there was a new direction and I really liked that, it made the show feel fresh again. It had a darker tone than previous seasons and there was drama than comedy but I guess that was appropriate given the storyline at hand.

Susan: One of my favorite story-lines of the episode. I really love how Susan dealt with her guilt as it was very in-character and realistic. The funeral for Cupcake was surely a classic and I love how Mike asked her if they were okay at the end and everything that happened after. The pool scene was fantastic, especially how it showed the guys talking on the other side!

Lynette: The scenes when Tom is running on the grass back to the house and when both him & Lynette are running back to the house were both hilarious, got me laughing out-loud. Lynette's dream was actually quite creepy and very, very well-directed! I also loved how Lynette ran to Tom after that and how they told their kids the next morning. It was a well-executed story-line.

Gabrielle: Really loved this one. Gabrielle wasn't as affected as Carlos by what has happened which makes sense given that she was terrorized by the man her whole life and that she wasn't the one who committed the murder. The scene in the car was, indeed, HILARIOUS and seriously got me thinking the mental health of the people who say Eva can't act. My favorite scene from the whole episode though has to be the one with Gabby and Carlos talking about "absolution", that was really beautiful writing.

Bree: I felt like she didn't have much to do and was more of a supporting character to the other story-lines. Chuck is as hot as ever and I love how he's already noticing that something is off. Bree was also hilarious in the car and her line delivery was fantastic throughout. The cliffhanger with the note was great too even if I totally saw it coming!

Renee/Ben: Not really much here... I don't really feel any fondness of Ben even though his introductory scene was hilarious (once again, props to Eva!) and I hope this goes somewhere interesting as I'd actually like Renee to have something to do.

Overall, I really enjoyed my episode and it's probably my second favorite season premiere after the sixth season premiere (not counting the pilot). This season feels really fresh and focused, the housewives are at the center of it all once again. I look forward to seeing Mary Alice and other old characters in the very near future, as well!

evafan2005

[13]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 18

I will post my review in a bit, but I just had to ask....DH is in the Comedy category for awards right? I thought it was but can't remember...if it is, Eva should definitely submit this episode for consideration. She had me laughing so hard (I seriously almost peed a little during the car scene).

Mgmble

[14]Sep 26, 2011

Loved this episode , I love the fact that the mysteries this year aren't going to be easy to solve (Dare I mention season 5 ?) . Desperate housewives have definitely went back to it's old routes and this season looks like it's gonna go out with an almighty bang. All the housewives stories seem to be very interesting with the exception of Renee. Loved the ending , despite reading the spoilers on another thread the ending was definitely a great surprise and it links back to season 1 without a doubt.

WARNING: Mild spoiler below !!!

However , I read the spoilers before that where meant to be in the first episode but didn't happen , like this one

"An important scene will take place in a shuttle at the airport, including a driver and a newly-wed couple leaving for their honeymoon."

Does anyone know if this will happen ? Just a bit curious about that little statement.

evafan2005

[15]Sep 26, 2011

that did happen, it wasn't an important scene, but it happened.

Mgmble

[16]Sep 26, 2011

Ahhh , remember now , just thought it took place in an airport Embarassed sorry about that , thank you Laughing

evafan2005

[17]Sep 26, 2011

you're welcome! I wonder why the spoilers said it was an important scene, it was probably the most underwhelming scene of the show (still entertaining, but compared to the rest....)

Mgmble

[18]Sep 26, 2011

Exactly what I think , I didn't see anything important about it at all and I don't see it developing into something , but we never know Laughing

Zazawie

[19]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 19

The ratings are in and they're not great, but not horrible either:

- A18-49 (this number indicates how many people between 18 and 49 years old watched, the bigger the number the better)

This rating dropped 28% from last year's premiere's 4.3 to a 3.1 (this is exactly the same as S7's finale). This is the lowest rated premiere of all seasons. In this category, DH got beaten by Family Guy and The Simpsons. On a positive note, DH did beat its new timeslot rival The Good Wife (2.2 rating).

- 9.8 million viewers, the fourth time DH goes under the 10 million and the first time for a premiere episode. This episode lost a little more than 3 million viewers vs S7's premiere.

And for those interested in the results of DH's new companion show Pan Am (replacing Brothers & Sisters), the premiere scored a 3.1 (100% retention out of DH).