TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.04 - "School of Hard Knocks" Episode Discussion

MarkoTodorovi

[1]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 4

After disobeying the rules of student drop-offs at the front of Juanita's school, Gabrielle makes it her mission to get even with a parent volunteer (guest star Beth Littleford) who banishes her to a faraway parking lot. Meanwhile, Bree discovers that her daughter Danielle's (Joy Lauren) new business may not be as wholesome as she first though, and Lynette begins to suspect that Tom may be dating. Susan tries to ease her guilt by taking an art class with no-nonsense instructor Andre Zeller (guest star Miguel Ferrer).

Discuss

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Arno_00

[2]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 7
    The episode was really good, especially the ending, I knew we were gonna see Chuck in it, haha. And I'm calling it, Ben is a useless househusband without a storyline, since we haven't seen him AGAIN, unless he'll turn out to be a blackmailer. And ironically I enjoyed Susan's storyline the most this week, and Bree's the least, even though the sex-swing part was funny and it was nice seeing Danielle agaian, I think that the ending narration reflected it, I mean, they didn't show Bree, but Chuck instead, right? So they reffered to last week's episode in it.

stellarchick86

[4]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 32

This was a pretty good episode. Id give it a 8.5/10.

It was great to see what Danielle's been up to since the last time we saw her was a brief 2-second thing in s5 when she took Benjamin back (right?). I figured it was going to have to do something with sextoys or something along those lines though. Bree was hilarious in that swing. I am getting a little tired of having to see marriages fall apart on the show though; first Lynette, then her sister (sort of) and then Danielle. Cant they do anything else? Gabby's SL seemed pretty fillerish but she was hilarious so I didnt mind it. With Lynette, I figured they were going to go this route where Tom ends up being the victor in the situation but it seems like next week Lynette gets a guy so we'll see. Susan's SL actually had me interested and it was great to see Teri Hatcher act crazy and dramatic rather than always be the coy bombshell. Renee wasnt up to much but she cracked me up when she was at Bree's and helping with Lynette. The ending was a little predictable too with Chuck but Im glad it moves the SL along.

RenatoB

[5]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 43
    Actually, this episode marked Danielle's fifth appearance post-season 4, and she was in 4 episodes after that one you mentioned.

stellarchick86

[6]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 32
    Oh yeah I remember now, with Benjamin and eating the hot dogs and all of that. I had a momentary brain-lapse haha. Thanks

Mattsterzz

[7]Oct 17, 2011
    I dont know why but this episode didnt impress me until the last fifteen minutes. Renee, even though she didnt have a storyline, was hilarious! She has been impressive this season, and im finding myself liking her alot more now. I think she might replace bree as my favourite housewife!

NovemberRose

[8]Oct 17, 2011
    Mattsterzz wrote:
    I dont know why but this episode didnt impress me until the last fifteen minutes. Renee, even though she didnt have a storyline, was hilarious! She has been impressive this season, and im finding myself liking her alot more now. I think she might replace bree as my favourite housewife!

Her role is similar to her role 7.23 when she accompanied Bree to check out Chuck's soon to be ex-wife's store.

RenatoB

[9]Oct 17, 2011
    NovemberRose wrote:
    Mattsterzz wrote:

Her role is similar to her role 7.23 when she accompanied Bree to check out Chuck's soon to be ex-wife's store.

Really, when you think about it, her role is similar right now to what it always used to be in season 7. She's the sidekick, the supporting housewife. And although I wanted her to be more of a vixen, like we all did, she's grown on me, I like her just fine now.

RenatoB

[10]Oct 17, 2011
    The ratings are out for this episode (not the viewers) on SpoilerTV, but I don't get any of that, only that it's worst this year than it was last year around this time. Why do they always make these comparisons? And why the hell aren't people watching the show?! It's just weird that the numbers are so low in the fall and that most notable websites stopped writing full recaps for the series IN ITS FINAL SEASON!

Zazawie

[11]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 19
    Those numbers are households in general, you can't really draw anything from that if you want to know viewers/demo. These numbers don't really matter.

However, this guy they keep getting this info from (Spoilertv just re-posts it) really takes enjoyment in saying DH is drowning and it's really annoying me. Every week he keeps saying how bad it's doing. Since he doesn't compare this week's numbers with last week's, I'm thinking they'll be around the same. He probably won't mention something positive.

Zazawie

[12]Oct 17, 2011

Ratings are a little lower than last week, so a new series low. 2.7 A18-49 and 8.23 million viewers.

evafan2005

[13]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 18

aren't they worried about the W18-49? I always thought they were before....do we know their rating for that demo?

Zazawie

[14]Oct 17, 2011
    Tvbythenumbers usually doesn't post those, so I have no idea. But the main 4 networks usually take the A18-49 as most important. DH's target audience is women, but I don't think ABC really makes the difference. The CW on the other hand looks at W18-49 more.

evafan2005

[15]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 18

hmmm well it's still fine IMO because DH was ABCs #1 show last night, and in the 18-49 rating table it was #1 as well so it's still a success

kingoffheg

[16]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 11

I enjoyed it a lot even though I am not particularly enjoying the sitcom-ish, over-the-top the show is taking (reminds me of seasons 5 & 6 when it comes to comedy honestly)

Susan: I LOVED seeing Albert from Twin Peaks as the art teacher, he was good! I loved Susan's interactions with Mike even though the dialogue was slightly cheesy at times but I'm glad the writers had Mike share his experience with Susan. The scene when Susan goes all crazy was spectacular, it was really moving and showcased Teri's fantastic acting. I really hope this storyline goes somewhere interesting and helps Susan cope with her pain. I also hope that we see MJ soon, we haven't seen him yet this season! We only got to hear his voice in this episode.

Bree: It was nice seeing Danielle again but the storyline was predictable as hell. It made me chuckle a few times but it was nothing special honestly... the end was also too sentimental. It was just unrealistic for Danielle to forgive Bree so easily after everything they have been through throughout the years.. Is Danielle going to be around for more episodes or not? It was also unexpected seeing Chuck at the end of the episode given that he had no other scenes, but I'm glad they are progressing this storyline.

Lynette: The writers are FINALLY starting to get somewhere with her. I loved the scene when Lynette realized that Tom was dating, you could tell that she was crushed. Then that scene at the yoga place was just hilarious! Her confrontation with Tom at the end was fantastic, I really loved it. I look forward to see what happens next with them.

Gabrielle: I consider this filler even if it's just a set-up for upcoming episodes. I didn't find myself enjoying this a lot as it was very, very predictable and it was just so over-the-top... I hope upcoming storylines are better than this honestly.

Renee: She had a small, supporting role but she was absolutely hilarious! I really hope the writers don't forget about her during the second half of the season like they did last year... I also hope she gets more screen time with Ben soon as he hasn't been around for a while now.

RenatoB

[17]Oct 17, 2011
    ^^MJ was seen in 8.02, but it was a blink-and-you-miss-it sort of thing.

Anyway, I loved this episode! I thought it was comedy at its best, particularly Gabrielle's storyline, which was hilarious. Over-the-top, yes, but the doofy supporting cast was so great and Eva really let out her comedic chops. I'll probably post a more developed review some time soon.

RenatoB

[18]Oct 17, 2011
    Well, here's hoping the oversexed promo for 8.05 will bring in more viewers next week...

Anyone else shocked by the sight of Richard Ruccolo's character trying to get it on with Lynette? I did not see that one coming.

Mattsterzz

[19]Oct 17, 2011
    I dont know why, Im just feeling more connected to Renee this season for some reason. (Btw, my quote thing doesnt work. Its really annoying!. Renee's scenes were so funny. I do think that the writers tried too hard to make bree sound like a b*tch to Danielle though. Im really liking how Susan is being more emotional and raw this season, not just goofing around.

MarkoTodorovi

[20]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 4
    Slowed down a bit with this mystery. Susan was my most interesting, funniest Bre, Gaby and Linet nothing special and boring again. I hope it will be better next week's episode.