Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.04 - "School of Hard Knocks" Episode Discussion

Mattsterzz

[21]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 7
    Well, Susan looks hilarious next episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djboy77

[22]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 7

Adult women pulling juvenile high school crap is just absolutely pathetic.

RenatoB

[23]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 43
    djboy77 wrote:

Adult women pulling juvenile high school crap is just absolutely pathetic.

LOL I thought it was a hilarious storyline. I don't get why it's being so criticized. The fact that it was a filler and that Gabrielle should be doing other stuff considering what happened with her stepfather is justification enough to diss on this story, and I sure as hell did not look forward to it. But I found myself laughing all throughout, so I'm good now. Gaby was awesome in this episode, and I actually look forward to whatever crap she'll pull off next week.

Zazawie

[24]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 19
    Final ratings are 2.7 A18-49 and 8.27 million viewers.

So the demo stayed the same (ties series low) and the million viewers got adjusted down a bit, a series low for the show.

I'm afraid we'll be seeing 7 million soon...

RenatoB

[25]Oct 18, 2011
    Too bad...

Anyway, I loved this episode, it was so damn funny! People complain about the sitcom-ish ways of the show, especially in its last season. I totally disagree. Season 6 was when the show was the most sictom-y. The way they wrapped up every single scene with a punch... that annoyed the hell out of me. Seriously, I can't get over that "self-whiping Mexican" bit. What the hell was that? That was horrible! It's something that doesn't even sound funny on paper (I think I've said this before, so I apologize if I am repeating myself ), so why even make an actual scene with it?

This episode was funny because it actually featured the housewives in funny situations (wait, maybe that's why they compared it to a "situation comedy"? ). Whereas the humor over the last few episodes (seasons?) came mostly from what the 'wives said (like Renee's and Gaby's countless quotable gems), this episode brought fun along with the things that happened to them, like Bree in the sex swing or Gabrielle being put in those awful positions. I missed the "Susan-stuck-in-between-Mike's-floors" kind of humor, or the "Gaby-steals-a-port-a-potty" kind of humor that the show used to present in season 1. Something I noticed last week was that nothing all that funny happened to the women, they just said funny stuff all throughout the episode (that back-and-forth between Lynette and Renee about Lydia the disaster was great). I just didn't care for when Gaby wouldn't stay to greet Danielle because of the sad nodding or whatever. It was too much like Renee not seeing Lydia last week. Seriously, same joke for two episodes in a row? From two very equal characters? That's not an homage, that's lack of originality.

It was so great having Danielle back. I love her so much, and these appearances she makes remind me of that. She brings such a great dynamic back to the Van de Kamp household. But why didn't we get to see Andrew? DH always does this stuff, like whenever they bring back Julie we never really see her interacting with MJ. Or Evan, for that matter, but I won't even go into that again.

Susan's story was probably the one I cared the least about. Teri was great, but she's always great, and honestly this story was a bit of a bore, and although I'm sure I'll laugh a lot next week with all the nakedness going on, I really don't look forward to putting up with this art class story for the next 4 weeks or more. Although it's nice seeing the character go back to her origins, what with drawing cutesy pictures like the ones seen in this episode, or getting naked and exposing herself. Oh, and I'm sorry about all the spoilers, but people already know about this, right? Right?

Lynette: Good. That's it. Jane seems okay, I guess, considering she was in the episode for like 10 seconds (also: how come Andrea Parker, in her very first appearance, gets top guest-star billing over Joy Lauren, who was in the whole episode, but last year in 7.04 Joy trumped Lainie Kazan, despite only appearing in one scene and the fact that was Kazan's 4th appearance? I miss Maxine... ) Felicity saying "What's the point?" was heartbreaking. Man, that woman is amazing... I liked the thing with the book titles and the Tweety Pie joke too, like I said before.

evafan2005

[26]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 18

what "Self-whiping" Mexican thing are you talking about?

NiallB31

[27]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 8

Zazawie wrote:
    Final ratings are 2.7 A18-49 and 8.27 million viewers. So the demo stayed the same (ties series low) and the million viewers got adjusted down a bit, a series low for the show. I'm afraid we'll be seeing 7 million soon...

Also so far this season the show failed to make it into the Top 25 most watched shows. This episode placed as the 40th most watched show of last week. And I agree that we may see 7 million soon and basing thisonthe viewership of the last 2 seasons the ratings will drop lower in the Srping so I would say brace yourselves for seeing 6 million viewers or even 5 million.Cry

RenatoB

[28]Oct 18, 2011
    evafan2005 wrote:

what "Self-whiping" Mexican thing are you talking about?

It was from 6.12, "You Gotta Get a Gimmick". After Carlos told Gabrielle that he'd like the girls to attend a more Mexican-friendly school, and he accused his wife of being a "self-hating Mexican". Gaby called him a "self-whiping Mexican" in return, and threw her drink in his face. That was just bad all over.

evafan2005

[29]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 18

Ohhhh right right, I remember that now. yeah not one of their finest moments.

stellarchick86

[30]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 32
    RenatoB wrote:
    The fact that it was a filler and that Gabrielle should be doing other stuff considering what happened with her stepfather is justification enough to diss on this story

I didnt mind Gabbys SL this week I will admit and even laughed, but the writers not really exploring Gabbys emotions on all of this is really bugging me. This is especially since Gabby is my fave and it would give Eva some time to really show off her acting chops before the show goes off the air for good (yes I know she's done drama before but nothing big). I mean, besides Carlos who actually committed the crime, Gabby was affected the most yet we see Susan going on and on and Bree getting blackmailed and Lynette having nightmares and such. I get that the other girls are going to be affected too and its nice to see them included, but they could show what Gabbys going through too. I feel like shes been the rock for Carlos and the other girls but we never get to see what shes going through herself. I think it would be great to see Gabby just snap trying to hold it all together and go into a depression. She had her time in s5 but I felt like that was more of a tired/frazzled (a la Lynette) type of thing more than her actually being depressed about something. Anyway, I hope they fit it in before the end of the season at some point. Thats all I have to say on that.

RenatoB

[31]Oct 18, 2011
    ^^But she spent most of season 7 depressed, so there's that. Although I'm not arguing that it's a bit bizarre that she's not getting more dramatic material.

stellarchick86

[32]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 32
    RenatoB wrote:
    ^^But she spent most of season 7 depressed, so there's that. Although I'm not arguing that it's a bit bizarre that she's not getting more dramatic material.

Yeah..thats true, but like you said, its weird that we havent gotten much from her at all. I mean even if its just relief or something, let us know that. Or if she says Im just going to put it all behind me and start over; show us thats what shes going to do and how hard it is to just repress feelings about that. Instead shes supporting Carlos, Bree with her note, Susan who had nothing to do with it, and basically doing stuff for her girls at school and what not. I just feel like its a bit too quick for her to have these types of SLs, especially in comparrison to the other girls. If its because they dont want to bog the show down with just one SL, then thats why you have Lynette working through the divorce, Susan who could other SLs besides the murder, Bob/Lee, Ben, Renee, etc. Dont let the people who have less to do with what happened take more screentime than the people who did, is what Im trying to say. But it sounds like youre agreeing so Im probably just preaching to the choir anyway LOL