Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.05 - "The Art of Making Art" Episode Discussion

RenatoB

[1]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 43

Today, the 162nd episode of Desperate Housewives (and the 5th of the 8th and final season), titled "The Art of Making Art", will air. The episode was written by Dave Flebotte and directed by Lonny Price. Discuss it here.

Summary:

Susan is mortified but tries her best to comply when her art teacher asks the students to show up to class in the nude in order to help them create from a point of honesty. In the meantime, Bree serves up some delicious, homemade soup for the homeless at the local shelter, but ends up enticing the local hipsters and pushing out those in need. Gabrielle finds herself without a staff to help set up a school event when her lacadaisical approach to her new job as president of the PTA insults the parent volunteers, and Renee helps a reluctant Lynette get back into the dating pool by taking her to a singles bar. Meanwhile, Carlos finds himself hitting rock bottom when the guilt over murdering his wife's stepfather begins to engulf him.

Guest stars in the episode include Dakin Matthews as Reverend Sikes, Melissa Greenspan as Cindy, Jillian Armenante as Rachel, Lindsey Stoddart as Melissa, Randee Heller as Karen, Becky Wu as Amy Yamada, Richard Ruccolo as Scott and Miguel Ferrer as Andre Zeller.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[2]Oct 23, 2011
    Ok, guys, I totally forgot to put in a poll for the episode, and of course I can't edit the first message... can we just leave it the way it is? You guys can score the episode from 0 to 10 in the comments.

I'm surprised no one had put up this thread yet.

txgirl75

[3]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 23
    it was kind of boring it really nothing exciting happend.. next week sure looks good so looking forward to that.

BrainMan820

[5]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 16

It was okay, I guess. Ho hum, average, not special, but not bad either.

Susan - Kinda stupid, and went too much with the being naked gag.

Lynette - I liked Scott, I really did. And I liked their banter outside with the valet and again in the house. It felt real, it really did.

Bree - Unexpected, but okay, it felt like Bree, and the acknowledgement of being good is something that I think would resonate after the whole Alejandro fiasco.

Gabrielle - Until the end, I really didn't care, but the end scene with Carlos showing up drunk was powerful.

Carlos - The shiner of the night: This one felt beyond real, and the talks with both Mike and Gabby really screamed out the word "desperate." He's having problems with it, and we actually feel bad for him. Pulls at the heartstrings.

stellarchick86

[6]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 32
    I thought this ep was pretty good for a "filler" episode. Id give it a 8.5-9/10.

Bree- This was actually probably my favorite of the night for some reason. I guess because 1. its progressing the murder SL and 2. because it seemed to be the most original to me for some reason. I remember someone calling that about Ben opening up the real estate property where they murdered Alejandro so props to them. I guess they are going to set up a Ben/Bree romance?

Lynette- This was my 2nd fave, close to my first fave. I enjoyed seeing Lynette get out there and do the dating scene thing than seeing her sit around and mope about Tom. I also liked her and Scott's banter too. I still think that Tom and Lynette will get back together eventually (maybe by the end of the series?) so I figured she wouldnt go through with it with Scott. Renee didnt have much to do but I enjoy her snarkiness.

Gabby- I enjoyed the SL but it seemed like they made Gabby more snobbby/materialistic than she normally is. If this was in s1 Id believe it but it seemed a bit toooo over-the-top. Once Carlos sat down and she looked back at the other women, you could clearly see the humiliation but desperation on Eva's face. She did a WONDERFUL job!

Susan- This was probably my least fave of the night but it was still interesting. Im glad that they didnt set something up where the instructer has a crush on Susan or whatever. I still think it may be a little inappropriate to ask students (yes I know they are adults) to be naked unless they knew that when they joined the class though, unless it was free to sign-up (Im assuming it wasnt). Again, Im just kind of annoyed that Susan of all people is getting this time to devote to "what shes going through" with Alejandro but Gabby is off doing whatever and acting like nothings wrong. Do they just not know what else to do with Susan?

Anyway, looking forward to next week! I love Halloween episodes.

RenatoB

[7]Oct 24, 2011
    ^^But why does it annoy you so? Gabrielle is Gabrielle, and Susan is Susan, and their behaviors this season are totally in-character. I too am perhaps a bit surprised that Gaby hasn't been in more pain recently, but she never liked Alejandro anyway, so why would she be sad about it, or even feel guilty, when he was a bad man who hurt her? It kind of makes sense.

As for Susan, she was always the most vulnerable one. That's her thing. It makes perfect sense that out of the core four, she'd be one to suffer the most because of this. What surprises me is how we haven't seen Lynette be more taken aback by this in the past four episodes.

RenatoB

[8]Oct 24, 2011
    I am so fed up with criticisms regarding the main cover-up storyline from people saying it's absurd and that it makes no sense. For God's sake, go over the whole damn thing: Alejandro was unarmed. Carlos has priors. Obviously, it'd be look pretty bad if an ex-con killed a seemingly deffenseless man. Gabrielle never reported the abuse, so that'd be hard to prove. It's not like she's a little girl who can be tested for molestation, considering she's had lots of sex afterwards. And even her own mother never believed her daughter's claims, choosing to believe that Alejandro fell in love with Gabrielle because she lead him on. Besides, Gabrielle's behavior over the years never reflected that of a molestation victim. Also, they can't really use the "he broke into our home" argument because Alejandro was Gaby's family! They were related, they knew each other, it's not like he's some unknown criminal who broke into their house to hurt them. When the police arrived and found out that Alejandro was Gabrielle's stepfather, it'd be way harder to prove to the police that what happened was self-deffense, given all the justifications I've said before. So, really, I think this story makes perfect sense. The only thing that doesn't add up is when Alejandro told Gaby he did not need another "witch hunt". That was odd, considering Lucia and Sister Marta, the people Gaby told, didn't believe her. And because she never reported the abuse, how would people in Las Colinas even know? What did he mean by that? By the way, this is because five weeks into the season I always have to read some comment either on the episodes' guides or on EW or wherever about how the story makes no sense. That pisses me off.

stellarchick86

[9]Oct 24, 2011
    RenatoB wrote:
    ^^But why does it annoy you so? Gabrielle is Gabrielle, and Susan is Susan, and their behaviors this season are totally in-character. I too am perhaps a bit surprised that Gaby hasn't been in more pain recently, but she never liked Alejandro anyway, so why would she be sad about it, or even feel guilty, when he was a bad man who hurt her? It kind of makes sense.

As for Susan, she was always the most vulnerable one. That's her thing. It makes perfect sense that out of the core four, she'd be one to suffer the most because of this. What surprises me is how we haven't seen Lynette be more taken aback by this in the past four episodes.

You dont think that if a STEPFATHER who MOLESTED you as a CHILD, REPEATEDLY, was WATCHING you when you visited, came back and STALKED you, nearly tried to attack you AGAIN and then your ex-con husband KILLED him and is suffering through some pretty intense issues would require you to feel a bit more than what we are seeing? For Heavens sake, we saw more from her during the Grace thing and that affected Gabby for a shorter period of time (1 season/year compared to her whole life practically). And yes, Grace was her biological child, but it shouldnt matter. Family is whoever you take into your house and love as your own, not biology/DNA. If someone were just watching this episode randomly and didnt know about the murder, they would just assume it was Susan who was Gabby and Gabby who was Susan. Im not saying that they have to have Gabby sitting around looking out a window sill contemplating suicide, but her stuff has just been fillerish whatever stuff we've seen in every other season. (Also, my capped words are just for emphasis, it is not yelling).

RenatoB

[10]Oct 24, 2011
    I am not Gabrielle. People deal with their own stuff their own way. Gaby does not feel guilty, as he was a bad man. She does not feel sad as he was a bad man. She does not feel emphatic towards the other people involved because she's, well, a bit of a bitch. That's Gaby. She's relieved that she no longer has to put up with Alejandro. She's moved on. She's dealt with the pain of her molestation in her own time. She grew, and she moved on. And then when he came back, her life fell apart again. But now that he's dead, she can be free to move on yet again, and thus she has. I believe we could have seen more from Gaby on the dramatic side this season, but the writers chose to go in another direction, and it actually suffises to me, because it's been entertaining all throughout. It makes sense that Carlos and Susan would be the ones the most affected by this, and it makes sense that Gaby doesn't give a crap, she's like that most of the time. But that last scene of hers in this episode was amazing, so they found a way to tie her filler-y comedic stuff with the major arc this season, and it worked very well. And honestly, would we really want all of the characters to be going through hell this season? Between Gabrielle and Susan being miserable, Susan makes the most sense to me.

kingoffheg

[11]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 11

My least fav episode of the season so far...

Susan: I had high expectations for this storyline because it just seemed really funny. However, I find myself very disappointed. The scene when Susan kept laughing was not funny at all, I even thought Susan was a tad annoying in it. I pretty much didn't care about the rest of the storyline even though I really liked the scene when a naked Susan opens the door to Lee and Bob's mother :p Oh and I totally loved the owl vase, Twin Peaks reference!

Lynette: Probably the best storyline of the night. The opening scene was fantastic and I love how the writers, once again, integrated Renee into another housewife's storyline. Renee was great but this going to a bar wasn't as funny or as memorable as last year's Renee & Bree adventure. The guy with the tie was funny and Scott was a nice guy. Lynette's reaction after dropping the ring was expected and nicely done but nothing special. Felicity's acting was amazing though.

Gabrielle: I hated this storyline. Whenever the writers portray Gabrielle as the selfish, spoiled one they don't push it too far; they did this time though. I found Gabby to be annoying and I am really disliking the PTA storyline. The last scene was definitely powerful, possibly the best scene of the episode but I felt like it should have been longer since the other moms just changed their minds so quickly.

Bree: I wish Chuck would start stalking her already. While everything that happened felt very in-character for Bree, I how how the show has been trying so hard to appeal to the young people (the priest in the first episode, the college kid in this episode, etc...) because the show just doesn't pull it off very well. The idea of Bree turning the place for the homeless into something for herself is a good one but it felt completely rushed and that it happened too fast which is why I didn't really care about it. Hooking Bree and Ben up was a great idea and the fact that Bree contributed to the project which will jeopardize everybody's freedom was an inspired choice. Oh and I thought neither of Bree's speeches was anything special honestly.

Carlos: He owned the episode. I love that Mike told him to stay away from Susan and how he got drunk. I hope he bonds with Bree over the drinking thing, that would be great.

Zazawie

[12]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 19
    I thought this was pretty good for a filler episode.

--Lynette--
    We finally saw Lynette moving on (if only to go to a status quo at the end), but I don't know if it's because I like Scott or because it was finally something new for Lynette, but I really liked this. The only thing I didn't buy was Renee leaving her at a bar like that. That seemed out of character to me, but it's obvious they needed to get her out of the way to introduce Scott. The guy with the christmaslight-tie was just silly, but one of the twins friends coming over was just hilarious. It was great to see Felicity finally have something else to do and while it pains me to say it, I'm wondering if definitely splitting up Tom and Lynette wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    + a little nod to Lynette having cancer in her video on that dating website, loved it.

--Bree--
    It seemed a little out of character for Bree not to realize she was serving food to anything but homeless people, but it was okay. The cliffhanger could've been dealt with better though, I didn't like the build-up of that scene and it deserved more attention. I'm not really feeling the threat of their secret being discovered, but next week's scenes in the woods look to be promising.

--Susan--
    Poor Susan, she'll always be our little klutz. It was a great throwback to season 1 though, and I love how the 'emotional' scene in the kitchen with Andre (the teacher) wasn't sappy. I think they did a good job with this. I was sceptical at first, but at least this art storyline stays true to Susan's character and backstory and it doesn't really bother me that they're moving away from Alejandro's murder.

--Gaby--
    Best one of the evening. I didn't think it at first, because the build-up wasn't that good. I also don't get why, when everyone leaves at the first PTA meeting, only one woman stays put? I was excepting some explanation, like she's deaf or blind, but no, she just kept looking at her notebook for some reason. Getting the entire beauty salon to come over was classic Gaby, but I feel like the new Gaby (post season 4) would notice why the other women were angry. However, the final scene made up for all of that. It kind of encapsuled the entire premise of the show for me: one housewife helping another in a time of need. Eva did a great job there, bringing that face of humiliation, and it's a great startup point for Carlos's next step in processing his guilt.

A decent episode, but eventually still filler, but I like how they manage to have these little throwbacks to earlier seasons without just copying old storylines.

MarkoTodorovi

[13]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 4
    I liked this episode. It was excellent. Linet has finally become interesting. Susan is perfect this year. Gaby is slowly but surely sinking. Bree was so much fun, but ended it with me and was very interested because I can not wait the next episode. Great episode!

Jemadari

[14]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 12

Bree: Typical not in my backyard attitude...By the way..

Ben: It's not in your backyard.

that was hilarious and the look on Bree's face of shameful relief was priceless

I'm cool with Gabby's indifference to the whole dead molester thing,in fact I applaud the writers for going there,most shows are quick to have characters place this monumental value on human life when the fact is many decent honest people can easily live with the idea of killing someone who they felt had it coming.

Though why the whole thing is affecting Susan to the extent that is,is somewhat of a mystery to me but when it's all said and done i'm not a suburban mom whose dark place is the fact that my son didn't say bye when he left for school,I could no sooner understand her than I could have a conversation with someone who was speaking japanese backwards in pig latin with a stutter

Zazawie

[15]Oct 24, 2011

Ratings:

Following the biggest drama series premiere of the season, DH benefited from Once Upon A Time's big numbers (3.9 A18-49 and million viewers).

DH scored a 3.0 A18-49 and 9.22 million viewers, the best numbers since the premiere a month ago.

Happy for OUAT, it was a little cheesy, but a very good premiere after all. Hopefully both shows manage to survive Halloween without dropping a lot.

Zazawie

[16]Oct 24, 2011
    ^^Forgot to add: OUAT had 12.8 million viewers.

Happy, but kind of surprised DH's numbers went up because of OUAT.

Mgmble

[17]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 7

Here is the ending of the episode HERE

Quite an interesting ending , I especially like the way the women helped Gabby out in the end. Looks like Bree trying to do good makes things worse.

stellarchick86

[18]Oct 24, 2011

RenatoB wrote:
    I am not Gabrielle. People deal with their own stuff their own way. Gaby does not feel guilty, as he was a bad man. She does not feel sad as he was a bad man. She does not feel emphatic towards the other people involved because she's, well, a bit of a bitch. That's Gaby. She's relieved that she no longer has to put up with Alejandro. She's moved on. She's dealt with the pain of her molestation in her own time. She grew, and she moved on. And then when he came back, her life fell apart again. But now that he's dead, she can be free to move on yet again, and thus she has. I believe we could have seen more from Gaby on the dramatic side this season, but the writers chose to go in another direction, and it actually suffises to me, because it's been entertaining all throughout. It makes sense that Carlos and Susan would be the ones the most affected by this, and it makes sense that Gaby doesn't give a crap, she's like that most of the time. But that last scene of hers in this episode was amazing, so they found a way to tie her filler-y comedic stuff with the major arc this season, and it worked very well. And honestly, would we really want all of the characters to be going through hell this season? Between Gabrielle and Susan being miserable, Susan makes the most sense to me.

Rentato, I think you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I wasnt referring to guilt or sadness because Alejandro was a good OR a bad man. It had to do with the emotions that she was supressing for a long time now coming back up to the surface with everything that happened since she went to Texas and came back and now its all said and done. Is she mostly relieved? Is she scared for Carlos that someone is going to find out? Is she afraid that he will be buried alive and come back and get her? There are many questions they could answer. We got the answer with Lynette and the nightmare, but shes mostly doing her thing with Tom and the seperation so it makes sense to me that they focus on her the least. We got that answer from Bree but it mostly had to do with her morals and not telling the police, etc, which is classic Bree. And of course we've had Susans guilt over this the entire season so far. But Gabby has mostly been dealing with dealing with Carlos' guilt and stuff at her children's school instead. Most likely with Carlos and the drinking problem I think the writers will eventually have her snap and she will deal with this though. They are probably waiting until January or so to start the new SLs for the year.

Zazawie wrote:
    Getting the entire beauty salon to come over was classic Gaby, but I feel like the new Gaby (post season 4) would notice why the other women were angry.

Thats exactly what I was thinking/trying to say with Gabrielle. If this murder happened in s1 then I could see the SL playin out more this way, but shes gone through a LOT since s5 started and I dont think shed realize quite as quickly now how all her problems can be solved with a manicure. Even Renee who they seem to have as a 2nd Gabby regarding materialistic things would realize this. At best they would both be drinking to solve their problems and at worst they would be in therapy, explaining how they feel. We've seen this with Gabby before, but not recently (enough).

Jemadari wrote:
    Though why the whole thing is affecting Susan to the extent that is,is somewhat of a mystery to me but when it's all said and done i'm not a suburban mom whose dark place is the fact that my son didn't say bye when he left for school,I could no sooner understand her than I could have a conversation with someone who was speaking japanese backwards in pig latin with a stutter

Exactly. As I said, I honestly think the writers are kind of stuck on what to do with Susan. Julies not around anymore, they dont need to set up a Mike/Susan will-they-or-wont-they thing anymore, and they did a lot of storylines with MJ in the past and with her work so.. what else is there?

EjkoBejko1

[19]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 3

It was a pretty boring episode, with a lot of inconsistency. Like they took an old script (like S4) and selling it now.

Bree- the storyline was very out of sudden, out of logic. Are we supposed to believe Ben has lived in Fairview for long time, and just moved to Wisteria Lane, or he is totally new? The kitchen filled with students and workers is really not Bree. And I'm I was right about the Estate development and the woods- very predictable haha

But a point: Am I the only one who saw the expression on the Reverend's face when he said "Into the woods" It really hit me, and I payed notice to it. What if Mary- Alice had shared the note with him, since he was there S2 for sure (Rex' funeral), why not S1 as well? And through the series he's proved he is good with blackmailing- even only spiritual (Bree- Beth SL)

Susan- Never cared for her, I'm just curious what the outcome of the SL with Andre will be- Besides a symbolic painting full of anger.

Gaby- So S1-4. Very immature and annoying, since we know how her character developed. I'm curious as for how the storyline with Carlos will resolve.

Lynette- Get past Tom, and live your life woman. I don't want them back. Not everything is a happy end in our lives, and they don't deserve one for sure. Kudos to Renee, who was the best from the night, but still far behind her gems. In my opinion the writer is not that good, a lot of the stories lacked dynamic, or the dialogues were blatantly annoying, I had to FF.

In general: 3rd in row not that good episode, still much better than S6, and around the same as S7. I'm happy that they decided to close every week with a small cliffhanger, so you'll have to tune next week as well. I'll give a mark of 6/10. Really wasn't excited, or laughing or feeling bad for them; everything was so BORING.

RenatoB

[20]Oct 25, 2011
    ^^Reverend Sikes' first appearance was in 1.19 (the dinner with Andrew, the sodomite), so yeah, he's been around since season 1, but I doubt he's the blackmailer, although I have no idea who it could be.

As for the writer not being that good, I don't think that really makes much sense, considering a whole team of writers come up with the episodes, including Marc Cherry and Bob Daily. Sure, every writer brings with them something extra to their episodes, but still...