8.06 - "Witch's Lament" Episode Discussion

How do you rate this episode?

RenatoB

[21]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 43
    DH-Weirdo wrote:
    What's CA?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[22]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 32
    CA= California initials.

DH-Weirdo

[23]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 7
    Oh...

shenbrat

[24]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 8
    I thought it was wrong to be introducing Jane to Penny. Tom as never said 100% emphatically We're over and I want a divorce to Lynette. There is a chance they could get back together. What in God's name is he supposed to say if they do? "Oh, Penny, I was just dating Jane when I was checking out if something was better out there than your mom. Just had to decide if I was going to leave her for good or just a little while."

RenatoB

[25]Oct 31, 2011
    ^^I'm not sure if I agree... it's probably better to ease the child into meeting Jane and liking her in this situation when things look ugly for the couple, than getting divorced and suddenly spraying Jane on young Penny like that, taking her by surprise and having to adjust to a new mommy she'd never even met.

Anyway, Jane was awesome! That scene with the two of them and Lynette asking her to back off was very, very well done. Definitely one of the best of the episode and of the season, which has already featured several solid dramatic scenes, at least one per episode.

Zazawie

[26]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 19
    I agree, I think it's best to ease her into the situation instead of waiting and then drop the bomb on her. Besides, Penny is 13 by now and she seems pretty mature, so I'm sure she understands the situation.

Imo, everyone but Lynette knows or admits the marriage is over. Like the situation is right now, there's no way in hell Tom will go back.

But I'm disappointed in the kids presence: we haven't seen the twins yet this season, Parker's story was just about partying and Paige, well... she's just there (sometimes). Penny's the only one who seems to be involved in the separation, which seems odd to me. You'd think the other ones would have something to say about it as well.

shenbrat

[27]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 8
    If everyone but Lynette knows or admits the marriage is over Tom needs to admit it by filing papers. Absent that he's providing false hope.

RenatoB

[28]Oct 31, 2011
    I don't know, it's one thing to settle into a state of being, and it's another thing to make it official by putting it on paper. Susan said that about signing her pre-nup in 3.18, and I have to agree. Tom is probably not ready to make things official, as being married to Lynette is all he's known for over 20 years. Officially putting a stop to everything would probably more than he can handle right now, and it would certainly destroy Lynette.

Zazawie does have a point, to some extent, at least regarding what the kids have reflected. Porter and Preston have yet to appear, Paige is too young to understand anything that's going on, Parker rebelled a bit but it seemed as though it wasn't even about the divorce like we expected, and Penny seems to be handling things just fine, by being happy when she goes on visitations with daddy (I'd be sad if I were her age and in that position, at least this early on, as it would just be a reminder that things aren't the same anymore) and hanging out with his new GF. And it's not like we've seen her friends really be there for her (much like we didn't see after any of the multiple divorces/separations they've had, really), so they too probably think they're doomed. Even Renee, who, oddly yet sweetly enough, is the one who seems to be there for her the most, is more inclined to think they're over.

Come to think of it, that's gotta suck, when Lynette's like "My 20-year-old marriage and the wonderful life I've built with my loving husband" are on the rocks, and Bree's like "We have to dig up the body", Gaby's like "I've got caterpillars over my eyes!" and Susan's like "My story involves art this week, so I matter the most". Poor Lynette...

StylishCandy

[29]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 5

susan - ahh, her storyline with andre and the art thing is just kind of boring me. and i hate andre. the part with the son was okay [and sad], but i'm really, really sick of her art classes.

lynette- i hate tom's new girlfriend, too. and why is tom bringing jane to the house? that's so rude, in my opinion. i think lynette should have a boytoy hanging around -her-, too. penny's costume was hilarious, though.

gabby/bree - these two are really funny together! first the car scene with chuck, now the frog scene. gabby's face when she was screaming = priceless.

carlos - woah, when alejandro was at the door i got pretty freaked out, that was pretty freakin' scary. and the kid's voice was kind of weird, so when he said "trick or treat" it just kind of made it freakier, idk how to really describe it. i feel bad for carlos though

renee - i liked her storyline, as at least she -gets- one. her and ben are pretty cute together.

andof course, who the hell dug up alejandro's body? i'm just going to guess it's chuck, but i really have no idea. and who was theguy in the woods?is he just supposed to be a random guy in the woods, or is he an actual character?

and in the previews - is chuck going to hit bree, or grab her? it was kind of hard to tell.

RenatoB

[30]Oct 31, 2011
    ^^I think Chuck moves in to caress Bree's cheek, though not in a romantic manner, like he takes his hand to her face and asks her when she's going to start telling the truth, and she tells him not to touch her. Which seemed awesome in the promo, can't wait! I want Bree to be scared of Chuck, I think that'd be so juicy! I want him to give her hell! And yes, I realize how awful that sounds, but I'm all about the juice.

kingoffheg

[31]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 11

Best of the episode of the season so far!

Susan: I was starting to get weary of this storyline last week, but I actually quite enjoyed this one. It had its cute moments and helped us get into Andre's mind a little more, I really liked his speech at the end about how your gift takes over your life and all. I think it's become obvious that this art class has taken Susan's mind off the crime but with recent developments, I expect Susan to fall back into her darkness once again.

Gabrielle & Bree: I love how Carlos' drinking storyline is being handled, he's been amazing this season! Bree & Gabby's adventure was really fun, and funny as well. I really love the dynamic they have together and hope that they continue to have storylines throughout the season! Oh and I loved how Alejandro poped up to Carlos when he opened the door, it was a great scene. And just as I wished last week, apparently we will be getting a Bree intervention in Carlos' life once his alcoholism becomes obvious to Gabby!

Lynette: Absolutely loved this one. It's the best storyline Lynette has had in a LONG time. The way she wanted to create Penny's costume just because Tom's girlfriend offered to was typical Lynette, and while the whole slutty kitten thing was spoiled by the commercials, it was still good stuff. The scene between the two ladies at the end was just amazing. Truly amazing and realistic writing which really got me so excited for future interactions between the pair. Oh and I loved Lynette's one-liners when the girls told her that they have to go to the woods, that was a really funny scene!

Renee: It was a cute storyline honestly with a few laughs. The last scene was really cute as well and I'm beginning to root for them as a couple, though I'm hoping Ben's darkside would resurface soon. And of course, I'm also hoping that Renee gets mixed up in Ben's business soon enough :p

The Woods: LOVED those scenes. I felt like I was watching the first season when Paul was burying Martha. However, the outcome was incredibly predictable since this is probably one of the most cliche twists in the book. Cliche it may be, but satisfying it definitely is. I'm loving the mystery this season, I have no clue who is behind all of this and I can't wait to find out.

I really hope the writers keep this level of consistency in the majority of the upcoming episodes. Lynette's storyline has hit its stride and now there's enough build-up for Carlos' drinking problem to take its toll on Gabby not to mention that Chuck still hasn't begun to terrorize Bree's life. There's so much good stuff that the writers could do!

RenatoB

[32]Oct 31, 2011
    And I get what you feel about Susan's story, I find myself not caring either. I hate people who are like Andre in real life, who look down on people who are happy for the sake of being happy, like he thinks that in order for someone to live they have to be all miserable and uncaring inside. Grow up, you 50-year-old emo! I never wanted this story to drag out, even before 8.04 aired, and I still don't. And I know that ending with the art taking over someone was supposed to be all ominous and what-not, but it just didn't work for me. None of the cliffhangers in this episode did, actually, they all kind of fell through. And I'm not dissing on the episode per se, it was a pretty great episode, perhaps the best since the premiere, but that cliffhanger was lowsy and way too predictable, and to think that they actually teased us about it in the beginning (well, I guess that's why they call it "teaser") and then spent the rest of the episode building up to something we'd already guessed and forgotten about 40 minutes before... that was weak writing in my p.o.v.

Oh, and the episode was watched by 9.28 million viewers. I'm surprised The Simpsons was watched by over 8 million, that's pretty damn good! And I don't know what The Amazing Race is, but it scored 14 mil. I'm disappointed.

Zazawie

[33]Oct 31, 2011
    ^^And a 3.1 rating in the demo, pretty good considering its ratings this season. Once Upon a Time is really helping, which leads me to this...

So happy Once Upon a Time held up in the ratings! This might be ABC's new Lost, only more directed to a female audience (but still watchable for men, like me :p).

The Simpsons had great ratings, but that's just because of the Halloween special. They'll be done next week, but it is impressive that after 22 years, Simpsons are getting practically the same numbers as DH.

And The Amazing Race is a reality competition show, so crap like that always attracts more viewers than scripted shows. DH did pretty well imo. They had a ratings drop with last season's Halloween episode, so not dropping bodes well for the future. Perhaps they'll stay consistent this season, much like Lost in its final season. Bleeding viewers over the last 3 seasons, but then leveling off with the core audience.

Zazawie

[34]Oct 31, 2011
    ^^about Simpsons, I wanted to say they'll be 'down' next week.

Crappy edit button...

StylishCandy

[35]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 5
    RenatoB wrote:
    ^^I think Chuck moves in to caress Bree's cheek, though not in a romantic manner, like he takes his hand to her face and asks her when she's going to start telling the truth, and she tells him not to touch her. Which seemed awesome in the promo, can't wait! I want Bree to be scared of Chuck, I think that'd be so juicy! I want him to give her hell! And yes, I realize how awful that sounds, but I'm all about the juice.

oh, okay. i want her to be scared of him, too, as it does sound juicy. and think about it - an enraged cop who thinks his ex was two-timing him. that doesn't sound too safe, honestly xP

Mgmble

[36]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 7

I'm not really good at writing reviews but I will say that I enjoyed this episode, best episode so far in my opinion. Brilliant mixture of drama and comedy , especially loved the Rennie scene throwing the candy and the awkward cat costume moment.

MarkoTodorovi

[37]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 4
    The beginning was brilliant. Does not look like the desperate housewives and I liked it. Susan I was not at all interesting. The boy does not know to play, and Terry is not thrilled me. Linet has had an interesting story. Finally after five tedious weeks. Gaby and Bree were fantastic as always! Especially, I pointed out the scene with Carlos and drink. Much like what we writers do with this character and every week I wonder what's next. It is very interesting. The main question is who is dug up the corpse and sent a letter. Who knows? This is definitely the most interesting mysteries after the first season.

RenatoB

[38]Oct 31, 2011
    ^^Who's Terry? Do you mean Andre?

stellarchick86

[39]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 32
    I know this was a ways back, but I can not keep up with this thread! LOL

RenatoB wrote:

Come to think of it, that's gotta suck, when Lynette's like "My 20-year-old marriage and the wonderful life I've built with my loving husband" are on the rocks, and Bree's like "We have to dig up the body", Gaby's like "I've got caterpillars over my eyes!" and Susan's like "My story involves art this week, so I matter the most". Poor Lynette...

I completely agree with all of this. I also wondered if they were going to show the other housewives' reaction to everything a little more. I wonder if they figure they would when they actually get divorced because maybe the other housewives figure they will get back together anyway (which is what I figure will happen, even if its towards the end of the season) but since I see them getting back together, I guess we will never see it. But there are a lot of things Id like to see (like more of Gabbys reaction to the murder, which I know Ive stated a few times) and the 6 week gap in between the death and the first ep didnt help so IDK.

RenatoB wrote:
    ^^Who's Terry? Do you mean Andre?

LOL

MarkoTodorovi

[40]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 4
    haha teri