Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.08 "Suspicion Song" - Episode Discussion

DH-Weirdo

[1]Nov 13, 2011
    • level: 7

This Sunday, the 165th episode of Desperate Housewives, entitled "Suspicion Song", will air on ABC.

Bree is harassed by Detective Vance as his suspicions grows, and while Susan puts her new (dangerous) painting out for a gallery showing, Gabrielle tries to stop Carlos from having a drinking problem. Meanwhile, Lynette's 22-yearold anniversery with Tom turns out to be a very special night.

This episode was written by David Schaldweiler and directed by Jennifer Getzinger.

Guest stars include Becky Wu as Susan's artbuddy Amy, Leslie Jordan as Felix Bergman and Melissa Greenspan as school parent Cindy.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MarkoTodorovi

[2]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 4
    another great episode. Bree, Bree, Bree! What the writers do to her? I wonder how her story will end up at the very end? Chuck is not clear to me! Did I miss something or is he perhaps a discerning?how he know all these details?

RenatoB

[3]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 43
    Lovely episode. Perhaps not as good as the previous one, but still among the best of the season so far. The murder cover-up story is really getting good. The intrigue is aplenty, which is always juicy and entertaining.

SUSAN: This was my favorite of her art-centric episodes so far. Andre was actually amusing at times, Felix was a nice character, and the end of the story was great. I loved that Susan finally became an artist when she felt miserable after people had seen her paintings. I thought that was quite interesting. I never cared much for this story (along with, apparently, everyone else), and that was, to some extent, because of the glorification of the artist as a miserable human being. I hate that they actually look down upon people who have it easy and who are happy. That's insane. But at least it was consistent all throughout, and that final line of Andre's made sense for the story. I loved the "lesbian couple" comment Felix made. I wondered why Bree was wearing men's clothes in the promotional pics. Now I know.

LYNETTE: It's insane how invested I am in these characters. It hurt me SO much what happened to Lynette. I actually teared up, it totally broke my heart. I love this story. I remember being so into it starting with episode 7.21, but then starting to feel bored. The first five episodes of this season weren't actually all that great for Lynette. The writers delved into a very familiar territory. The whole thing with trying to conceal the separation, and please the kids, and hooking up at bars... it's all been done before, on this show and others. But the last three episodes have really delivered. Hooking Tom up with Jane was actually a pretty good move on the writers' part, I have to give them that. I always prayed (well, not really ) that he'd end up with Renee, which I thought would be so much juicier. But I can't possibly see Tom actually falling in love with Renee, whereas he is clearly falling for Jane. Which makes it all the more complicated. This isn't a rebound, it's the probable start-up to a long-lasting relationship. It's so hard watching Lynette go through all of this. She and Tom ended up apart because they didn't make each other happy anymore. But clearly she's not happy without him either. But he does seem to be moving on. And that sucks! I don't wanna see Lynette with some new guy. I don't wanna see the Scavo family broken up. It pained me so much when he told Lynette just like that he would call off the order at the flower up, as though hearing that would actually make her feel better... poor Lynette.

GABRIELLE: This story feels like one that can be enjoyed the first time around, but upon further watching it gets boring. All the little twists were actually rather predictable. As soon as Geoffrey started telling Gaby that Carlos was like a father to him (how weird is that?), I knew he was up to no good. And as soon as Mr. Sweeney told Gaby he wanted to see Carlos right then, I knew he was up to some good. I wish Juanita were to be featured more, she's only been in half the episodes so far... Anyway, I hope that Carlos going to rehab doesn't wind up like Mike going to Alaska. It just feels like a sorry excuse for the writers to dump some characters so they don't have to feel obligated to write material for them. This is the last season, and I want all the core men to have a nice ratio of appearances. How funny was Gabrielle shaking her booty and singing "Jingle Bells"? Eh eh, one would think Gabrielle would be better at flirting with random men.

BREE: Pretty great. Chuck is becoming someone I love to hate. They've really made him interesting. He now officially stands out amongs the other men Bree's date (and boy, were they A LOT!!). Sure, George was also a bad seed, but that was always pretty much the case from the start. One could tell by the end of 1.12 that he was a bit of a psycho. That was confirmed in 1.13 and later appearances. But Chuck was actually a pretty nice guy who went rogue when Bree made the mistake of dumping him pre-marriage proposal so she could get him to not catch up to the fact that she was aiding and abetting, which turned out to be exactly what drove him to get on her back about it. And I've been loving every minute of it. Chuck's creepy! Like, seriously creepy. (Although, and I hate to say this... Jonathan Cake could be a little better at acting, couldn't he? ) Anyway, I guess it's nice that they've brought back Bree's drinking problem immediately after they seemingly wrapped up that story for another main character, and I love that she is now all alone. I'm glad that it wasn't "Bree scorned Chuck and made him mad" that turned the women against her like the summary for 8.09 would have us believed, but rather "Bree kept the truth from us... again". That makes more sense. I just love all the intrigue between the main ladies that this secret/problem brought along. I just wish another letter would pop up. I always thought it'd happen at the end of this episode, like Emily Portsmith's death at the Strangler's hands in 6.08. But it never happened, and I'm disappointed... I want more blackmail notes!

JeffreyvanHe

[4]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 2
    A good episode! but the thing that bothered me was Lynette's storyline. imo it was too obvious that she got the flowers cause Tom had a standing order. I felt i had seen it before somewhere. Then it finally hit me: it can be seen as a tribute to Season 1 (as someone pointed out on this forum: there have been alot of nice tributes this season). In the valentines day episode Felicia comes to bring Paul flowers and baloons i believe that were delivered to her house by mistake. Paul also had a standing order to deliver them to Mary Alice every year on valentines day.

Besides that the thing with my name companion and Gaby was a little too obvious as well: i hoped they wouldn't put 2 things that were too obvious in the same episode since i had figured out the flower thing the moment they were delivered, but unfortunately..

Overall, not one of the best episodes this season when it comes to comedy (except for the comedy in the gallery part with Susan 'protecting the painting and the lesbian remark), but it did have some nice darkness to it. The 'big-client-has-sympathy-cause-he-also-used-to-be-in-AA' thing was a tad predictable but i did like that twist.

One more thing i have to complain about is that i'm a little dissapointed by the promise there would be more Mary Alice this season. My name counter is still at 0?

RenatoB

[5]Nov 14, 2011
    What do you mean, by that final remark? She was, at least, seen in episode 2. And I forgot to mention her in my review. I'm also disappointed she hasn't been featured more, but I loved her voice-overs in this last episode. They felt like old MA stuff. Too bad they didn't give her any mid-episode v.o.'s again.

sabbyoh

[6]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 1
    the lynette/tom scene was heart breaking! i guessed that he hadn't actually meant to send the flowers, but still. the way he said "it'll never happen again, i'll cancel it first thing tomorrow" seemed so... horrible/out of character. are they not going to relationship counseling anymore? i thought they were going to see if they could work on their issues and possibly get back together through the counseling but with tom getting a new girlfriend and what he said to lynette in this episode it seems like he's made up his mind that they're over for good?

DH-Weirdo

[7]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 7
    Wasn't the teaser in this episode amazing? I loved it, it was new and well directed!

Edie70

[8]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 19
    DH-Weirdo wrote:
    Wasn't the teaser in this episode amazing? I loved it, it was new and well directed!
    My thoughts exactly. I also loved the music they used. It was not used in a long time (since 5x24 intro with Dave and Lila)

sabbyoh

[9]Nov 14, 2011
    what was in the teaser? i'm in the UK and streamed the episode which had no teaser D:

Edie70

[10]Nov 14, 2011
    sabbyoh wrote:
    what was in the teaser? i'm in the UK and streamed the episode which had no teaser D:
    They speech about sounds on Wisteria Lane during night - right before Bree woke up and called 911.

sabbyoh

[11]Nov 14, 2011
    oh right, thanks! i should probably watch the episode again i can't even remember that part haha.

RenatoB

[12]Nov 14, 2011
    I wondered for a long time how they would fit Cindy into this episode, and I was surprised that they hooked her up with Renee and Lynette. Didn't that seem so random? Like they're trying to make her a recurring character. Not that I didn't enjoy it. Cindy is not that amusing as a character, but I always like recurring characters.

Zazawie

[13]Nov 14, 2011

Ratings are up (a little)!

Demo: 3.0 A18-49

9.221 million viewers

Too bad this can't be the start of a winning streak.Tongue out

RenatoB

[14]Nov 14, 2011
    Interestingly enough, the guy who posts the ratings analysis doesn't seem to notice the numbers have gone up for DH. They can only mention that they dipped from the past year to this one. Douche. And yes, I am overreacting.

RenatoB

[15]Nov 14, 2011
    It's such a shame that "Once Upon a Time" is considered a hit with only 11-12 million viewers every week. Wow, people really stopped watching TV, haven't they? At least in the premiering dates...

By the way, I really liked the pilot for OUaT, though I haven't watched any other episode since. But I hope it becomes my new "Lost", whereas PLL is probably my new DH.

Zazawie

[16]Nov 14, 2011

Watching the ice princess melt.

Wow, what an episode. Especially the ending, although there were some weaker moments throughout.

--Susan--

Most of this could've been reduced to what we saw in the sneak peek, and while the ending scene at the gallery was pretty awesome, I was annoyed by how literal Susan's paintings were. And suddenly, out of nowhere, there are also 4 sidepaintings with a candlestick, the box,... Even Susan would've made sure not to leave these unattended in the art class. Too bad the entire reveal is relying on this. Also, Andre's final line didn't suit me at all. I don't see the parallel between being a miserable artist and feeling bad because you've exposed your secret. But I'm glad he's gone, that cliché of grumpy artist has dragged on long enough.

--Gaby--

I expected to see her actually doing some work instead of just sexing up that client, and I hated that motivational speech. Everytime, no matter what show is on, they pull in a one-time character to give a regular a speech to say what he should be doing, it strokes me the wrong way. And they always hire these actors that are a little older and have this voice, like you've been naughty and now they're telling you what to do. Ugh. Jeffrey being a rat was predictable as well, but at least I liked the actor.

--Bree--

Poor Bree. One day you're telling how important your friends are, the next day they all dump you like a piece of garbage. I don't understand where Gaby's coming from. Bree has been holding this thing together, so I don't see why she should immediately shun her like that. Perhaps the stress with Carlos being drunk combined made it to be too much? Anyway, the opening of the episode was a wonderful sequence and I love that Marcia's finally getting good drama material, I think it's been since early season 5 that I've enjoyed her stories so much.

--Lynette--

Aw Lynette. I think this is the first time this season that she was 'the good one' for the entire episode. I would've liked to see a longer confrontation with Tom, but it was so sad. I'm also disappointed Tom didn't show any remorse for forgetting their anniversary and I think this could really mean the end for these two. The worst thing about it is that Jane isn't too bad either, so I don't think a lot of people really don't like her. It looks like they're really splitting these up for the long run. This is also the first episode, I think, where it's really acknowledged that they are really separating. Did they ever show that counseling was done? I only remember one scene early in the season.

RenatoB

[17]Nov 14, 2011
    I forgot to mention that Teri was great when she tried to remove those paintings. The "crazy artist" bit was damn funny.

RenatoB

[18]Nov 14, 2011
    @Zazawie: There was only that one counseling scene in the teaser for 8.05, and that was it. They've never mentioned going back to counseling ever since. And I like Jane, too bad she can't be featured more often in each episode. She's so different from all the other romantic foils, because she's actually a very nice woman, and easy to like. What I love so much about this season is that I have no idea how things will end up. I have no clue as to how the mystery turns out. I don't know who sent the note, and I don't know how the story will wrap up. I have no guess. Will they all go to jail? Will one of them perish? Will they all get away scot-free? And the same applies to Lynette's marriage. Back in seasons 2-3 and 5, we all knew Susan and Mike would wind up together again. Same for Gabrielle and Carlos in seasons 3-4. This time, with the Scavos, I have no clue. I hope they do find their way back to one another, although some people clearly don't feel the same way.

BrainMan820

[19]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 16

It was all right, watched from start to finish. My problem with the episodes is that things are becoming way too obvious, no subtlety

Susan - While it felt real, it was beyond predictable. That they'd put her art in the gallery without it I saw coming a mile away, and the only thing different was that Andre didn't care about her, he just wanted to teach in a better school: That was fun.

Lynette - Having a standing order is the oldest broken marriage cliche in the book. While I dislike the idea of Lynette/Tom completely splitting up, since it's the only marriage that actually succeeded, they could have done something more original with it. Funniest part was Jane's "Oh my God, she's on a bender"

Bree - While Chuck is definitely a scary villain, he's turning so one-note bad cop he reminds me of Wayne Mayfair, the series's most unoriginal and uninspired villain. I do, however, like the details he's piecing together, and at the very least, he is, morally, in thr right to investigate Bree. As for a return to drinking, it was a suitable way to end the episode, I'd like to see where it goes, but hopefully the saga will end more originally for her than it would for Katherine.

Gabrielle - The real stand-out was the old guy with the 14-year-chip. I sorta saw it coming, but powerful scene regardless.

I know this is our last season, but please, for the love of God, more originality. You don't have to worry about anything else this season, go for broke.

RenatoB

[20]Nov 14, 2011
    ^^Wow, you really have a problem with Katherine's story, huh? I thought Wayne DAVIS (Mayfair is Adam's name) made for a good villain. So much better than that God-awful Patrick Logan. Now he was a living cliche. And I don't think Chuck is a bad cop like he was. He's just scorned.

I also loved Jane's "bender" comment, that was funny. And I actually didn't see it coming that they'd put Susan's art in the gallery without her consent until that truck scene with Andre and Felix. Before that, I always assumed they would manage to convince her to do it.