Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.09 - "Putting It Together" Episode Discussion

What did you think of the winter finale?

RenatoB

[1]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 43

This Sunday, December 4th, 2011, at 9/8 central (US time), on ABC, the 9th episode of the 8th and final season of Desperate Housewives (and 166th overall), will air. The episode is titled "Putting It Together", and was written by Sheila Lawrence and directed by David Warren. After watching, discuss it here.

Watch promotional trailers 1, 2 and 3, as well as sneak peeks 1 and 2.

Summary:

When Chuck calls Gabrielle, Susan and Lynette individually for questioning about the disappearance - and possible murder - of Alejandro, inciting panic, and Bree's life begins to spiral into despair when her friends abandon her after they blame her for scorning Chuck and causing him to take out his revenge on them. Meanwhile, Lynette asks a favor of Tom that could ruin his relationship with Jane, and Susan is made a once-in-a-lifetime proposition to become a real artist.

Guest stars in the episode include Andrea Parker as Jane, Ruby Lewis as Chloe and Leslie Jordan as Felix Bergman. Supporting series regular Kathryn Joosten returns in the role of Karen McCluskey.

No spoilers are allowed in this thread beyond this post until after the episode has aired.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

StylishCandy

[2]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 5

omgomgomg.

this episode = blown away. it was amazing.

bree - bree! poor bree! i felt so bad for her, and i was hating the other women the whole episode through. her conversation with mary alice was...short, but really sweet. i found when mary alice said "i'm not unhappy" to be really, really creepy, did anyone else? there were some continunity errors with bree's "she baked when she was upset" part in the beginning. when danielle got pregnant, she was on her honeymoon. when orson went to prison, she drank. when rex died, she cleaned the silverware. also, i felt bree's "i'm so unhappy" to be a reference to what beth said to felicia in season 7, did anyone else?

susan - i like susan, don't get my wrong, but she was the weakest link in this episode. she added absolutely nothing to it. also, mike's a jerk for not supporting his wife. so...he's gonna let her go to a dangerous city like new york on her own?

lynette - i absolutely hate jane. i was disliking her up until now, but i hate her now. and her daughter. it's not "stalking", they're still married and have been for twenty two years and have five kids together! and jane should realize maybe some things are family issues. she's not part of the family, and no divorce papers have been filed between lynette and tom. i'm a bit confused why lynette told tom she was an accessory to murder, though? (everyone's getting dragged into this! and i'm loving it!:O) i must've missed something.

gabby - gabby, this was your husband's "murder"! why oh why are you so mad at bree? gabby's excuse for carlos' drinking was stupid, though. why not just be having trouble at work or something? just seems kind of stupid. also, she didn't think chuck would research her background?

and of course, who ran over chuck? loved the reference to mike's being run over in season 2. it was almost identical. we're supposed to believe it's either bree or carlos, i'm guessing, but i'm thinking that if it's going to be any of those two, it's gonna be carlos. i'm guessing it's either carlos [i hope not, that seems too...obvious.], ben, or...maybe tom? doubt the latter, but i'm hoping it's someone not so obvious, but not out of the blue either. it would be funny if it was the same person who wrote the note.

also, i'm gonna miss chuck, because even though i hated him, i loved to hate him, in a way. and when he said that bree should've married him because he would've protected her was almost sad, kinda.

now i just gotta wait for january eighth. too. long. we better get a good string of episodes for awhile after that!

MauricioMaranto

[3]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 3
    Such a powerful mid season finale!, I loved everyone but Susan as always.

shenbrat

[4]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 8
    I wanted to slap Lynette silly for being such a doormat. She timidly lets the daughter say she's stalking her own husband and even apologises to Jane (who has the nerve to call her an ex).

JordanHarff

[5]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 2

Really great mid-season finale! Loved Chuck getting hit by the car (I think it's Carlos but I would love if it was Mike or Ben or Bree or even better....Andrew returning and this mirroring him running over Carlos' mother) and I loved the ending with Bree, except I was hoping she would at least slowly pick up the gun. But really great episode. Just when are they going to focus more on Mary Alice like they said before the season started?????? And when can they give Renee a decent storyline????

Mattsterzz

[6]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 7
    Im so sorry everyone, but even i think its weird. I didnt think this episode was impressive. I think its because i know who killed Chuck and they wouldnt kill off bree. I did like the last scene though. I would have liked a better cliffhanger.

Mattsterzz

[7]Dec 4, 2011
    Btw, It sucks that i know alot about cars, because regonised the car that Chuck got ran over by.

RenatoB

[8]Dec 4, 2011
    What the hell happened with the cast's credits? After Madison De La Garza was billed, Brenda's, James', Charles', Kathryn's and the guest stars' credits never popped up! They showed us the whole "Susan being grilled" scene with absolutely no credits, and when Lynette's scene came up consulting producer Dave Flebotte was already being billed.

Anyone else feel that the promo was stupid as all get-out? I mean, the fate of Chuck was left hanging in the episode, as some sort of cliffhanger... and then the promo reveals that he died. WTF? Who's in charge of those?

I was expecting to see more of Mary Alice, until the episode started running thin... but what we got was seriously CREEPY!!, so I loved it. Seriously, that was dark! Mary Alice's face... I got the heebie jeebies! The cliffhanger mostly falls flat because we all know Bree's not killing herself, but I'm still interested on how the outcome will turn out, how she'll keep from doing the deed. I'll probbaly post a more elaborate review later on, upon further viewing of the episode. Mostly, I felt like the jokes weren't as funny as usual. But it was a pretty good episode. Only Susan's story was, to me, a throwaway, but I liked what they did with Mike not supporting her escapade plans. That was a nice turn of events for them.

RenatoB

[9]Dec 4, 2011
    Mattsterzz wrote:
    Btw, It sucks that i know alot about cars, because regonised the car that Chuck got ran over by.

Seriously? I would never notice that, I know nothing about cars.

But maybe there'll be a twist, maybe whoever ran him over (which was kind of lame, by the way, I totally saw it coming that he'd get hit by a car without reading spoilers - I was hoping someone would blow his brains with a sniper rifle, but whatever... this ain't "The Walking Dead", I guess) stole the car from someone else. Or maybe the producers didn't even think anyone would notice and used some car without it mattering to the story. Or maybe your guess will be right after all. Who knows at this point.

Mattsterzz

[10]Dec 4, 2011
    It really annoying because im not even excited, there's no anticipation. Also, i know it was definately this person. If only it was shot differently. Im really sad.

Mattsterzz

[11]Dec 4, 2011
    Btw, do you guys think that Renee will turn up and stop bree killing herself?

tvtome_xena321

[12]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 27
    Mattsterzz wrote:
    Btw, do you guys think that Renee will turn up and stop bree killing herself?

I'd love to see that happen, just because It would be better if it was not one of the other woman.

RenatoB

[13]Dec 4, 2011
    ^^That'd be nice, and I can picture it happening. Renee follows Bree, then is lead to believe that she's hooking up with Ben at that motel, and then bangs on her door and saves her just in the nick of time. That's probably what's going to happen, and also kind of what I want to see happening. It'd be a nice way to get Renee clued in on what is going on. Now that all of the regular males (sans Bob and Lee) know about what happened, Renee is the only main character left (sans Karen and Juanita) without knowing about the cover-up.

tvtome_xena321

[14]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 27
    RenatoB wrote:
    ^^That'd be nice, and I can picture it happening. Renee follows Bree, then is lead to believe that she's hooking up with Ben at that motel, and then bangs on her door and saves her just in the nick of time. That's probably what's going to happen, and also kind of what I want to see happening. It'd be a nice way to get Renee clued in on what is going on. Now that all of the regular males (sans Bob and Lee) know about what happened, Renee is the only main character left (sans Karen and Juanita) without knowing about the cover-up.

I'd love for her to be clued in, I hate how the non-main four housewives are always on the outs with things. However Edie is the only character in the entire series who figured out the season's mystery on her own with research, during season 5, without having a character tell it all to her face.

EJamison

[15]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 17

I can't remember exactly what Bree did that had made her friends so furious with her.

RenatoB

[16]Dec 4, 2011
    EJamison wrote:

I can't remember exactly what Bree did that had made her friends so furious with her.

Her friends are self-centered byotches. Plus, it was convenient for the story that they all hated her.

I loved Susan's "I'm the one who talks!" line. XP So true!

Mattsterzz

[17]Dec 5, 2011
    I want to see Renee and Bree become closer. This would hit home for Renee though considering that her mother killed herself.

rentlover1

[18]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 8

I loved this episode. Every moment I was engaged and wanted to know what would happen next. As usual they left all the men unaccounted for at the time of Chuck's "accident" (as they have done with most of the mid season cliff hangers) which means any of them could have done it. I think its most likely (in this order) Ben, Mike or Carlos. Tom I doubt would go to such lengths especially since he doesn't know how close the women are to being caught. Loved that this was kind of a wink back to season 2 when Mike got hit by the car.

Meanwhile I agree that Renee will most likely follow Bree to the motel and stop her from killing herself. The scene with Mary Alice was awesome but the hype made me expect more and I hoped for moreconversationbetween the two women. It was incredibly creepy that Mary Alice encouraged suicide but again some more deep discussion would have been welcomed, especially after Brenda's promise in her interview. I just feel that this season has so much potential for Mary Alice to appear before each of the women and yet it isn't happening as much as it should, especially since we only have like 12/13 episodes left of Housewives forever.

I gotta say I loved the comedy tonight, especially with Gabby and the rehab storyline. I liked that all the characters were moving in the same direction this week so nothing felt filler. And Lynette didn't go to far in my opinion cause she is ensuring Tom is around should shit go down- the timing was just bad (though him going to Paris is funny cause it seems all fresh young couples wanting to get away from it all do that on Housewives- lol).

The stand out for the night was of course Bree who's story was so emotional. When she was talking to those three women it was very funny and engaging, highlighting just how soapish the show has been over the years (and she acknowledge George was dead as well as Rex and Karl which was gold!)I dont get why Andrew isnt there for Bree. They were on good terms at the end of Season 7 so I dont understand why she keeps saying he abandoned her. They really need to bring him back- I mean come on he lives down the block from her in the old Adam's house! lol. But still very emotional and I felt so bad for her that she had lost everything. The moment she acknowledged how big and empty her house was and how alone she felt I started to tear up. She is my favourite character and to see her so alone and venerable was incredible to see. Her isolation in that big house is something I thought about when Chuck broke in. I thought- wow why would you still live in a house that big, filled with so many memories? It would get so lonely wouldn't it? Turns out I was right. I wonder if the show runners purposely left the motel set unchanged for this episode so that it appeared Bree returned to the motel where she and Karl had had their affair in Season 6 to give the sense Bree went there cause she was once happy in that space? Probably not but if so itdefinitelygives a sense of depth.

Overall fantastic episode that left me wanting more. More in the sense I want the next episode so I can see how the characters deal with Chuck's death and the fact their case could be picked up (not to mention Ben's true motives and the chance Lynette and Tom may get back together) but also more in the sense I wanted more of Mary Alice talking to Bree. It should haveoccurredsooner in the episode so itdidn'tend up so short. I hope they startutilizingMary Alice more next year. BRING ON 2012 ALREADY! lol.

Edited on 12/05/2011 2:49am

kingoffheg

[19]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 11

Strong episode, but I was expecting more honestly..

Susan: The weakest storyline of the episode, it was good though. I was surprised to see the short guy back from the previous episode but he's a funny character so it was more of a pleasant surprise. Susan saying that she's always the first to break was a nice touch but I hate the fact that she's considering going to New York, I always hate those storylines because nobody ever goes through with them. :p Mike should have stick by his wife though..

Lynette: I know Lynette was thinking of her children when she pursued Tom but I'm sure sub-consciously she also wanted to keep Tom from going with Jane since she's clearly still in love with him. Jane got more screen-time this episode but I'm hoping for more scenes for her in the future, she's an interesting character after all. Tom's reaction to Lynette's confession was well done and at the end when he said "Don't, just don't talk Lynette" was very similar to his reaction when Kayla left with her grandparents in the penultimate episode of the fourth season.

Gabrielle: A very enjoyable storyline. The affair part was contrived but the rehab scenes were pretty entertaining. Chuck going after Gabby was well done and I especially loved his comment about the "smirk", it's also consistent with Chuck's high attention to detail which has been mentioned many times so far.

Bree: The poor thing! The other housewives definitely don't have an enough reason to abandon her like this but I think they are just scared and don't want to go to jail just because Bree's ex wants to bring her down. The scene in the bar was great and her attempts to make up with her friends were well-done. I also don't understand why Andrew isn't there for her, I hope he pops up soon. Renee thinking that Bree & Ben are together will definitely lead to bigger things, I also enjoyed Renee's scene with Karen. The scene with Mary Alice at the end was superb! It really was creepy and well-written, hopefully Bree will continue to see Mary Alice in the future as she delves further and further into her drinking problem and continues to ponder with the thought of suicide.

Chuck: The star of the episode, definitely. From his interrogation to the housewives, to the way he pissed Ben off, to the way he rejected Bree's deal and finally connected the missing person to Gabrielle, he's really investing in his revenge. He's a fantastic villain especially since we've seen a more loving and human side of him when he was still with Bree so he's not one-dimensional, he just takes revenge very seriously. I don't think it was Bree who ran him over, but if she did then Renee would have seen her which would also lead to interesting storylines. Anyway, I think Chuck was killed too soon; he could have tortured Bree a little longer and meddled into her business before he was given the boot but all is fine, I do appreciate the fast-paced nature of the storylines this season.

Zazawie

[20]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 19
    The promo for 8x10 was too ridiculous for words. One, we get that dimheaded cop back for a cameo. Second, they give away the only real cliffhanger, as we all know Bree's not gonna blow her brains out.

The episode itself fell kind of flat for me. Maybe I've been spoiled with suspense since the last years have always had a disaster episode, but I just didn't feel it this time.

--Susan--
    While I liked Felix in this one too, I hope this is his final appearance. Loved the joke with him putting the cheque in the air, but I'm so sick of Susan's art storyline right now and her wanting to move to NYC because an art-dealing midget tell her to do so makes little sense. Like Mike said, Chuck will find her anyway.

--Lynette--
    She really annoyed me in this one. Why run off to tell Tom about it? I can see this as a ploy to get them back together, but getting Jane out of the picture like this is too easy. Tom's one of the suspects for Chuck's murder (I guess we can call it that after that promo *sigh*), but I think that'd be a u-turn too big for the character. And while I really anticipated that airport bathroom scene, I didn't feel it. And what was it with that random old guy flippin' in and out the bathroom? Was that supposed to be a joke?

--Gaby--
    I don't see any redeeming qualities for her right now. Chuck's discovery came out of nowhere and the build-up of his investigation has really been a mess. Gaby looking for Carlos at rehab was pure filler and while I like that she got dragged in that intervention, she got out too easy.

--Bree--
    I don't buy it. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I liked the final scene and MA returning (loved the creepy vibe of that scene), but Bree gives up too easily. I don't get that transition from Bree in Chuck's office to Bree in the motel room. It's like they had to put it in to have the cliffhanger, but only one episode with drunk Bree and she already contemplates suicide? Hated that scene with the three surrogate friends at the bar too.

--Ben--
    Look who decided to show up. I had hoped they would've given him something more by now, because he still looks like a random addition to the cast. I guess him giving Bree a shoulder to cry on makes sense, but that sideplot with Renee felt unnecessary.

--Chuck--
    I don't get where this hate is coming from. He's always talking about how he sees what people think and such, but he doesn't see Bree's motives for breaking up with him? He didn't give this possessive, almost mental vibe when he was divorcing his wife at the end of S7, so I'm thinking this is just bad writing. His character is totally different than the one 7 episodes ago and, to be honest, Cake didn't do a very good job last night. It could be the writing, but I didn't believe him. The interrogation scenes were bad (mostly because of writing), all his scenes coming to the Lane and threatening people were repetitive and finally, his death scene sucked ass.

The hit-and-run was a case of horrible montage, it was very clear the car barely had any speed. Also, zero points for originality. I get they're trying to do a little homage to the show's past, but this was pure plagiarism. I'm sick of seeing hit-and-runs on this show and technically (montage, lighting etc.) Orson kicking Mike to the curb was much better.

Nope, I didn't feel this episode at all. Too bad this is the final episode for this year, because this is were the entire first part led up to and it ruins it all for me, at least a bit.