Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.16 - "You Take for Granted" Episode Discussion

Tell Dr. Goldfine how you feel after watching this episode.

RenatoB

[1]Mar 9, 2012
    • level: 43

This Sunday, March 11th, 2012, ABC will air the 16th episode of the 8th and final season (173rd overall) of Desperate Housewives. The episode was written by Matt Berry and directed by Jeff Greenstein, and contains a MAJOR SHOCKER!!! Discuss it here after you watch it.

Susan convinces Mike to go to the police when she discovers that Ben's loan shark is out to get him, which could have dire results. Meanwhile, Gabrielle is justifiably concerned when Carlos exhibits some strange behavios on his first dayback to work, and Tom's girlfriend, Jane, drops a bombshell on Lynette during Penny's birthday party. In the meantime, Mrs. McCluskey, who is suffering from terminal cancer, asks Bree to help put an end to her life.

Guest stars in this episode include Daniella Baltodano as Celia Solis, Orson Bean as Roy Bender, Michael Dempsey as Detective Murphy, Jayne Entwistle as Marilyn, Sal Landi as Donny the Loan Shark, Andrea Parker as Jane and Derek Webster as Detective Harrison.

Supporting regulars Kathryn Joosten as Karen McCluskey and Darcy Rose Byrnes as Penny Scavo also appear.

Edited on 03/09/2012 12:33pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DH-Weirdo

[2]Mar 10, 2012
    • level: 7
    CAN THIS EPISODE BE AIRED ALREADY?!? I HAVE WATCHED THE PROMO LIKE 80 TIMES AND I WANT TO SEE IT NOW. I THINK SOMEONE'S MESSING WITH US, SRSLY. WE ARE GONNA HAVE TO HAVE THEM WACKED. ENOUGH IS FRIGGIN ENOUGH!

Edie70

[3]Mar 10, 2012
    • level: 19
    I know I will love this. I love huge episodes except "City on Fire" and "If..." but this will hit jackpot.

DH-Weirdo

[4]Mar 10, 2012
    I thought "City on Fire" was a good episode overall, with the dramatic conclusion of for example Anne's storyline. But the fire was overrated, yes. And although "If" wasn't so good, I LOVED Felicity's performance in that one. I really hope this episode knocks it out of the park.

mully

[5]Mar 10, 2012
    • level: 6
    ^^ I agree about "If". I watch it on Netflix often only for Felicity Huffman's performance. If that's not Emmy-worthy, I don't know what is.

RenatoB

[6]Mar 10, 2012
    • level: 43
    mully wrote:
    ^^ I agree about "If". I watch it on Netflix often only for Felicity Huffman's performance. If that's not Emmy-worthy, I don't know what is.

Then again, maybe she didn't submit that episode for consideration. Does anyone know the episodes submitted that year? I don't seem to recall.

Edie70

[7]Mar 10, 2012
    Maybe she submitted the season finale with child birth, I am not sure, not keeping track of these things anymore.

mully

[8]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 6
    Gah, I hate not having cable and having to depend on Hulu for my DH fix. The episode is almost over now (EST) and I have to wait till tomorrow to see it! I hope some reviews and recaps pop up soon cause I want details or I'll find it every hard to sleep tonight! :p

StylishCandy

[9]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 5

pretty much all i can say is this: NOOO MIKE NOOO

seriously, someone please tell me i'm not the only one who cried! D: i think that's the first "life-flashing-before-their-eyes" death in DH, right?

that was so sad though. poor susan. i read somewhere on the spoilers thread that someone wants susan to kill that loan shark. i really hope she does.

evafan2005

[10]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 18

I cried, too! And it was definitely the first life flashing before your eyes death on DH and that just made it sadder! And then next week, Renee singing at the funeral and everything...my god, the last few minutes were just SO sad, and quite powerful IMO.

evafan2005

[11]Mar 11, 2012

Oh and PS: Teri did PHENOMENAL, no matter how brief. I mean seriously, she gave me chills.

ArthurRoby

[12]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 2

So did anyone else think Lynette was gonna let old girl choke to death. I mean when she sat back and looked for a minute I actually though she was gonna let her die.

evafan2005

[13]Mar 11, 2012

I sure did! The eerie look on her face, plus the music....I was thrown for a second.

StylishCandy

[14]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 5

...i kinda wish she did let her choke

does anyone know where i can see the CTV promo? someone mentioned it on tumblr and it sounds better than the ABC one. :/

evafan2005

[15]Mar 11, 2012

the only thing I can think of is youtube.

Edie70

[16]Mar 11, 2012

OMFG! Just f-words come to my mind right now. Best scene of Susan/Mike tonight. And best intro in years too, plus montage of Mike and his life with Susan. Such a shame that Greenstein only directed 3 episodes with this being the last. Jane was powerful ... such a bitch now. Sorry for Lynette, she is married to a guy who wants to live with his girlfriend and possibly marry her. Idiot. How creepy where those brithday photos? LOL! Bree and McCluskey/Roy and the suicide cake was LOLful. I knew Renee would say the one-liner about McCluskey and her feet. Loved the first scene of Susan/Renee in season 8, shame it is in the second half. Hint hint somebody does not get along well, right gals? Gabs was ok-ish, do not expect anything from her storylines now - mostly fillers. It was obvious that would happen, but Greenstein greatly directed that roof scene. It was good. Looking forward to last week, promo made me cry a little and the episode shocked me at the end even though I knew about the death. It was kinda unbelievable.

9.5/10

Edited on 03/11/2012 10:21pm

rentlover1

[17]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 8

A fantasticinstallanttonight. Considering all the near deaths a lot of great black comedy intonight'sepisode. Gabby's story was probably the let down of the night for me but loved Lynette and Bree's storyline. Bree stealing the car to get to the emergency room was priceless. Thought it would have been funnier if she collapses while Karen and Roy were kissing which would have made them remember she was drugged.

Susan's story was really just to get her up to date on what was going on and to give an excuse for her final exchange with Mike. While it was beautiful it was overplayed and made it obvious he was the one who was going to die because it was like famous last words. The flashbacks were amazing however and the ending very powerful. Cant wait for next week.

Edie70

[18]Mar 11, 2012

Some info from the director himself on twitter

stellarchick86

[19]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 32

I knew it!! I knew Mike was going to die from the last episode onwards and was completely unspoiled. Then when they sat there and he said I love you to Susan, I just knew it.

Stellarchick86 wrote:
    The only thing I could think of is, surely they wouldnt kill off Mike, would they? Hes been there since the beginning, so he could be considered a main character and I could kind of see them coming around full circle so that way Susan is a single mom again, helping raise Sophie/Lynette and it would create an interesting dynamic between her and Lynette because Lynette is now single too, rather than it being Lynette doing something crazy/Susan doesnt like it and goes to Mike/Mike gets caught in the middle. But I dont know if they would have the balls to do that. Would they? More than likely though itll be the loan shark, if they kill anyone.

How sad for the diehard Mike/Susan fans. I like M/S okay but Im not like a hardcore fan or anything so its sucks they wont get their happy ending afterall. I think this is going to be a good SL for Susan and Teri Hatcher. I hope she gets her revenge. I wonder if now Susan will take her anger out on Renee/Ben for starting this whole thing or if shes too good for that. And how they are going to react to Susan. This is going to get interesting

Gabby/Carlos- The cat stuff was pretty filler, but I liked the Carlos "hating my job" SL. Carlos rarely gets SLs outside of just saying a few words to Gabby and thatd be that, so Im glad they gave him a bit of character development. And I know Gabby has always been materialistic but they do have a lot of excess stuff, and after everything theyve been through, youd think as long as they have a roof over their heads, food on the table and each other that would be enough.

Lynette- I actually gotta say she made me mad this episode. First, the photo stuff was so dumb and petty but I let it slide. Then she keeps taking her anger w/ Tom out on Jane and I just find it ridiculous as a grown woman. Then when she actually stood there and let Jane choke for a few seconds, I was ready to throw something at the TV. I know that they are still technically married, but thats been a technicality for a while now. Its not like theyve been actively trying to make this work and all of a sudden she finds out hes moving in with her, so. Its been at least 3 months, but probably 4-5 because Im sure he didnt start seeing Jane RIGHT after he left, she needs to get over her anger and start going to therapy or something. Jane hasnt done anything but love Tom, which obviously Lynette isnt doing/going to do, and since she is going to be a part of Toms life, that includes the kids. If these people were all in their 20s, then okay, but 40+ year old women shouldnt act like this and Lynette usually has a good head on her shoulders. This separation has really brought out the worst in her. Sorry to whoever this offends, Im sure someone will state how they disagree, but its just my .02.

Karen's SL was actually the best part, to me. It seemed like classic DH because it look a morbid/dark subject, like death, and made it funny/entertaining (Karen getting behind Bree's car). These are the types of things that have been missing from this show for a while. I wonder whats going to happen in the future, is she going to die within the next few eps?

Overall, it was a very good ep, probably my fave this season. 9.5-10/10!!

Mattsterzz

[20]Mar 12, 2012
    10/10, Period. I think that was my second favourtie death ever on DH. I have been in a blubbering mess since Ive watched it and I cant get it out of my mind.