Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.16 - "You Take for Granted" Episode Discussion

Tell Dr. Goldfine how you feel after watching this episode.

Edie70

[21]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 19

I hope Renato is ok, I know it can be hard to see your favorite couple being destroyed in a matter of a few seconds. Plus that montage was heartbreaking, I need a drink. Or a cigarette, have not had one since November 2011, but I quit in September. Fuck. This is hard and bad. Wondering about the ratings, also about DVD bonuses, maybe good bloopers out of this one. I hate Donny so MUCH. P.S. Just watched it with my mom who is the strongest person I know and as soon as she saw that car and heard the bastard scream "DELFINO!!!" she started to shake and could not catch her breath. Then she started to cry when he fired and the clips were playing, certainly unexpected to see that woman crying. Heartbreaking, then she broke down totally when he fell on the ground and his chest was covered in blood and Susan was crying and screaming loudly. Then came promo and Vanessa┬┤s beautiful song and the casket ... oh, I cried too that is sad. Then she said it felt like a neighbor from down the street dying, somebody we know everything about, she has been watching with me ever since the Pilot.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RenatoB

[22]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 43
    I've been devastated already, I've had all this time to cope with the fact that they were breaking up my favorite couple, which made it hard for me to be shocked, or sad when the time came. Mostly I was excited. And boy, did it pay off. Brilliant sequence. Absolutely brilliant. All those flashing moments really seem like a reap of rewards, don't they? Like this moment has been earned, through so many years of showing us the journey of those two people in love with one another. Now their love story has ended on a tragic note, and although it shouldn't have come at all, for our own sakes, it came at the right time. A finale death would probably seem more tragic, having him die at the very ending of the series, and at least he made it to the very last season. Kudos to Teri Hatcher. Like evafan2005 (I think) said, short, but stellar. I really, really hope Mike makes it to the finale somehow, he deserves it, and so do we. If in the next episode Gabrielle somehow manages to be even remotely heartless about her friend's grief, even as a one-liner, I will officially hate her. And someone better whack that damn loan shark. Can't wait to hear Vanessa Williams singing "Amazing Grace", that was a nice touch.

I'll probably a more detailed review later on. And someone suggested that Teri and Vanessa might not get along well because this was their first scene alone in the season. I doubt that, it's not like they co-starred that much last season anyway.

Edie70

[23]Mar 12, 2012
    It would be beautiful if 8.17 ended with "Amazing Grace" and they would just move the camera along the church and show all those sad faces without narration, it would be refreshing. Although this week we had a very short closing MAVO but powerful lines.

Edie70

[24]Mar 12, 2012
    Glad to see you finally post something since the episode aired. So weird not seeing you around for an entire page!

RenatoB

[25]Mar 12, 2012
    I didn't know quite what to say, I guess. It hurts. It's like rentlover said on Facebook that his mom said, it's like watching a neighbor of our very own dying, someone we grew so close to for so many years. This is arguably the most important death of the series excluding Mary Alice's. It takes time getting used to it, even though I've seen it coming for weeks now, maybe even longer than that, because before I knew for sure I had a clinging suspicion that unnerved me.

It's quite heartbreaking, yes, but there's still something so magical about the fact that we got to see their journey from start to finish. Unlike the Scavos and the Solises, we saw it all with Susan and Mike Delfino: the first time they met, the first kiss in his van, the first time they made love, the first break-up, the wedding, the birth of MJ, their separation, their reunion, the announcement of a granddaughter, and now this. So many milestones in their relationship that culminated with this one. It sort of feels perfect. Which is weird, because in this fairytale Prince Charming got whacked. I just hope they make proper use of this death, make it worthwhile. That segment at the end instantly became one of my favorite sequences of DH. And I'd rather he died abruptly and suddenly than suffering a lot, like Nora did. If he should go, let him go without putting him through hell first. I don't want Susan to find anyone else in the remainder of the series, that would be horrible. But I would like Mary Alice to ease my mind and tell us near the ending that her friend Susan will find love once again and live out her happy ending.

Edie70

[26]Mar 12, 2012
    I think he died immediately because Donny is an expert marksman. Just like Bree happy for him not suffering. I would hate for Susan to fall in love AGAIN. Damn it, please let it happen off screen. Or just announce it by Mary Alice. I guess Edie finally won Mike for herself, she got tired of Karl in there ... he cannot get it up when he is dead now.

RenatoB

[27]Mar 12, 2012
    Edie70 wrote:
    I think he died immediately because Donny is an expert marksman. Just like Bree happy for him not suffering. I would hate for Susan to fall in love AGAIN. Damn it, please let it happen off screen. Or just announce it by Mary Alice. I guess Edie finally won Mike for herself, she got tired of Karl in there ... he cannot get it up when he is dead now.

LOL and Mike can? Ah, it would be so wonderful if, by the time Karen died (I'm sure it'll happen), Edie came by to pick her up. Then Karen would ask "What the hell does one do up there anyway?", and Edie would say, "Well, I mostly boink a lot of guys. Only... heavenly". Wouldn't that be lovely? Sadly, it's not gonna happen.

stellarchick86

[28]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 32
    That sucks, Renato, to have your fave tv couple breakup by tragedy. I kind of know what thats like. Im sorry. At least she had a wonderful son out of it, and still has her daughter and granddaughter now (wow, Susan as a grandma, that makes ME feel old! LOL). Im very excited to see what happens next; I went out of my way to try to be unspoiled for the last 10 or so eps, so Id just be guessing.
    Edited on 03/12/2012 6:19am

MohammedHasan2

[29]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 4
    That was an awesome episode. Even though, I knew it was Mike who was going to die, and the rest of the story lines for the other housewives weren't great, it was still shocking, and I loved it the past memories so much. Probably, one of my top 5 favorite scenes on the entire series.

Edie70

[30]Mar 12, 2012

RenatoB wrote:
    Edie70 wrote:
    LOL and Mike can? Ah, it would be so wonderful if, by the time Karen died (I'm sure it'll happen), Edie came by to pick her up. Then Karen would ask "What the hell does one do up there anyway?", and Edie would say, "Well, I mostly boink a lot of guys. Only... heavenly". Wouldn't that be lovely? Sadly, it's not gonna happen.
    Mike can, because he is new in there and not all dried up so she is looking forward. Martha will be watching them along with Beth who is anxious to learn some new positions because she is getting it on with Rex in her dreams.

RenatoB

[31]Mar 12, 2012
    Edie70 wrote:

RenatoB wrote:
    Edie70 wrote:
    Mike can, because he is new in there and not all dried up so she is looking forward. Martha will be watching them along with Beth who is anxious to learn some new positions because she is getting it on with Rex in her dreams.

It's starting to sound a lot like islamic heaven or whatever with the 72 virgins. Everyone gets laid in the garden of Eden.

Edie70

[32]Mar 12, 2012
    Or in the garden of Edie she must have had at least 5 vaginas.

Edie70

[33]Mar 12, 2012
    DH got 8.29 million and 2.6/6 in demo last night. (not much of a boost, but it is around Dec-Jan levels which is better), GCB held up pretty good.

Zazawie

[34]Mar 12, 2012
    GCB's demo actually went up versus last week. Consider me surprised.

Edie70

[35]Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, well, DH held up nicely too when you consider how much OUAT fell from last airing. it was only 9.13 million viewers and 2.8 in demo.

RenatoB

[36]Mar 12, 2012
    Oh, I must admit I was hoping for something more out of DH. I just know now it'll go out with even less viewers than "Lost" did.

MohammedHasan2

[37]Mar 12, 2012
    Well, OUAT was probably affected by day light savings. But at least this proves, that OUAT isn't that great of a lead in for DH. Lots of people say that DH is only holding up this season, cause of OUAT, but this shows, that there isn't that much of a common audience between the two. Even though DH may not get great ratings, its lasted 8 years! Lost only did 6 years. If DH ended in S6, it could have easily gotten 15+ million viewers.

Zazawie

[38]Mar 12, 2012
    According to tvbythenumbers, DH only got a 2.5, even with last week.

supercin721

[39]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 30

I am livid!!! I've been spoiler free this season which is hard for me. But I should have known from the moment the loanshark nicknamed Mike that something would happen but I was hoping they'd take someone else out...anyone else out. I watch for Mike and Susan...they are my favorite couple and Mike is my favorite man on the street. That montage was beautiful. But I amPISSED! WHY!?!

I don't know if any of you ever watched Silk Stalkings in the 90s on USA but this is how I felt when they killed off Rob Estes' character and his wife was left behind pregnant...GRRR!

MohammedHasan2

[40]Mar 12, 2012
    Thats strange, cause the half hours were 2.6/2.5 which will average out to 2.55 = 2.6