Desperate Housewives Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

8.16 - "You Take for Granted" Episode Discussion

Tell Dr. Goldfine how you feel after watching this episode.

Kenant00

[41]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 8

I wasn't surprised by the ending of this episode? Anyone watch inside edition?

When they talked about the trial with Nicolette Sheridan it was rumored on there

that Mike would be killed on the show and was rumored that one other character I

won't say who will also be killed.

One other thing, another bad decision by the people on the lane when Mike saw someone

was at the house of Vanessa Williams he should have just called the police instead of going

in there himself. He wouldn't have killed if he did that instead. That's what I would do if I saw

lights on in a neighbors house when I knew they weren't home.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Zazawie

[42]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 19
    Maybe Once Upon a Time had some overrun? I don't know, I guess we won't be certain until we see the finals.

bonjovichick

[43]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 16

I didn't feel up to watching it last night because I heard the spoiler from the trial and it was the one person I didn't want it to be. Don't care about Mike and Susan... I just liked Mike. Personally my first choice to have it been would of been Susan as she annoys me too much. Not sure if knowing going in will make it better or worse. I might just give up on the rest of the season... just like I did when they killed off Rob Lowe from Borthers and Sisters.

They never show my other favorite people from DH anymore... Andrew, Lee and Bob.... so not sure I should bother.

Zazawie

[44]Mar 12, 2012

Okay, so after looking for a decent quality version, I finally got to watch the episode. Here are my thoughts:

--Gaby--

It was okay, I guess, but aside from the very well-directed scene on the roof, which I expected to have more CGI in it for some reason, there isn't much to tell. I liked Gaby putting Carlos in his place, it was just stupid to start giving away your own money in loads and wanting to provide for your family at the same time.

--Lynette--

This is actually the first time I got the feeling Jane almost was a main character. Pretty good episode and quite a risk of the writers to kill two of the fundamental relationships on the show in one episode. We knew it was coming (aside from Lynette, apparently), but Tom saying "I'm happy" still hit hard. Great scene with Lynette and Jane in the kitchen.

--Bree--

Meh. I did like that the episode got this "final destination" theme, but in the end, it was more a gimmick than anything else. Especially Bree's life being at risk felt forced and Karen gave up way too easily. And did it bug anyone else that Bree left for the hospital on her own, without any info on what kind of medication she'd taken? It just didn't seem realistic, and definitely not Bree.

--Susan/Mike--

Aaah, there it was, the big moment everyone dreaded. I had to admit they did manage to cover up that it was him dying for a big part of the episode, right until Susan's scene with Renee. When they start idolizing a character like that, you know what's going to happen. The final scene had some great shots and a nice final moment between our golden couple, but it pains me to say that I feel like it could've been better. First, making up a backstory for your character just before he dies, bad idea. I really didn't need another abuse backstory and it should've been touched earlier in the series to make it more believable. The idea of this "life flashes before your eyes" thing is hard to make it look good and I feel like they didn't succeed completely. It was way too melodramatic at the beginning. I don't know if they could've done better with a bigger budget, but it just felt cheap and it only got good when the flashes started to go faster. I did like that they "froze" time for a moment and that when it unfroze, the shot was so brutal and definite. No last words, just BAM and the end. You have to give it to them, it's probably the most cold-blooded brutal death on the show, definitely for a main character (not counting Edie almost being strangled).

One final remark: the music in the final 10 seconds or so: way to dramatic. I would've liked it 10 times better if it was just Susan crying and nothing else at all.

The death did give me goosebumps, but I feel like it could've been better. No tears here, while I have cried over characters on other shows that have had a shorter run than DH has, so in that aspect, mission failed.

Or maybe it's just because Mike was one big bore for the last three seasons, I don't knowTongue out

marto_dd

[45]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 17

The flashbacks were incredible, but the whole situation was just… kinda silly. A car is moving by and BANG. That was all… I was hoping for a more heroic death for Mike, it all happened so quick. If it wasn't for the flashbacks I would have been extremely disappointed. Now it's rather a meh… But I hope next week is going to be better.

And now Lynette is the only housewife that hasn't buried a husband.

Zazawie

[46]Mar 12, 2012
    ^^Well, he did push away Susan (which was brought rather silly, I think), so I'm sure that'll be remembered as something heroic.

NiallB31

[47]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 8

I loved the life flashing before mikes eyes sequence. It reminded me of the previously in the 100th episode of Buffy.

RenatoB

[48]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 43
    Zazawie wrote:
    ^^Well, he did push away Susan (which was brought rather silly, I think), so I'm sure that'll be remembered as something heroic.

Silly? I loved it, his immediate reflection was to push his wife away for safety purposes. Grand move.

Zazawie

[49]Mar 12, 2012

Yeah, it was a nice touch and something that'll define his character forever, but I meant that one shot was filmed silly. It just didn't take on screen imo.

But storywise it's indeed a grand move.

P.S.: don't mind me complaining about that finale scene, I did the same thing with Edie's memorial episode, which I've come to love more and more over the years, so I'm sure the same will happen with this episode.

Edited on 03/12/2012 11:17am

RenatoB

[50]Mar 12, 2012

Zazawie wrote:

Yeah, it was a nice touch and something that'll define his character forever, but I meant that one shot was filmed silly. It just didn't take on screen imo.

But storywise it's indeed a grand move.

P.S.: don't mind me complaining about that finale scene, I did the same thing with Edie's memorial episode, which I've come to love more and more over the years, so I'm sure the same will happen with this episode.

True that, looking back on the show Edie's memorial episode remains one of the most touching chapters of the series, though I kinda hated it at first. It was just... boring back then.

I still don't know if I get what you mean by "silly". At first it seemed to me that Jamie totally used no strength at all, it was mostly Teri throwing herself at the fall, which she is a pro at. Is that what you mean? Because upon further viewing it actually doesn't look so fake.

Edited on 03/12/2012 11:37am

Zazawie

[51]Mar 12, 2012

^^That's probably it. It seemed like Jamie just decided to swing his arm or something.Tongue out

Edited on 03/12/2012 11:40am
    Edited 2 total times.

MohammedHasan2

[52]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 4
    Although I thought it was great, I also thought they could have done things differently. Like, perhaps, they could have put Susan's life in more danger. Like, in the previous episode, the loan shark should have threatened to go after Mike's family. And then, at the beginning of this episode, they should have put both Susan and Mike together, so it would look like one of them would die, building suspense. And maybe, at the end of the episode, when the loan shark is about to shoot Susan, Mike jumps in front of her at the last second, and takes the shot. It would have been great to see how Susan would deal with the fact, that Mike died protecting her. I also thought, that all his flashbacks involved Susan, with hardly any for MJ, or anyone else in his life. I'm sure he would probably remember his other son Zack, or someone else important in his life other than Susan. And also, didn't the police say that they would send a police patrol to watch over the house, where was that when the loan shark guy came?

Zazawie

[53]Mar 12, 2012
    ^^Well, the flashbacks were mostly in chronological order, and frankly, not much happened with Mike after MJ was born. If you look closely, you can see there are several flashbacks including MJ, but they're really just flashes.

But I get that they spent more time on Susan, especially since their relationship has always been the focus and they showed the most iconic moments in their story, being the day they met and Susan in the bushes.

RenatoB

[54]Mar 12, 2012
    The police in Fairview are stupid. It's been long established.

Anyway, there was actually plenty of MJ in that sequence, it's just that he's featured in those super fast scenes. We get a lot of glimpses of little MJ, including when he was all padded up for his pretend fall (5.04) and when he stuck his hand in jar (6.13). I loved that the montage centered around Susan. Mike never really developed a relationship with Zach (for shame). It makes perfect sense that, when his life flashes before his eyes, the best moments are what come up, and the best moments all involve the love of his life, the woman who made him happy.

I honestly thought that ending was perfect. My favorite death of the show already. Don't try to fix what isn't broken, guys, that ending was amazing.

StylishCandy

[55]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 5

^ that was the best death on the show. and mary alice's narration was perfect, and matched the episode title. (i'm sureothers have probably, though)

and i keep crying because it is SO FRIKKIN SAD D: D:

MohammedHasan2

[56]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 4
    Well true, but its still strange to think that his life only became good or memorable, only when he met Susan, which was 13 years earlier. Before that, his life was not important, but then again, I guess its is just TV...

RenatoB wrote:

I honestly thought that ending was perfect. My favorite death of the show already. Don't try to fix what isn't broken, guys, that ending was amazing.

It was a good death, but I still prefer Rex's, cause at that time, he was a much more important character than Mike has been for years. I'm interested in seeing Teri's acting in the next episode, and if it can be as good as Marcia's when, Bree found out Rex died.

mully

[57]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 6
    I loved this episode. I know a lot of people are on the fence about, or downright seem to hate Mike's death but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The death of Mike Delfino makes things so uncertain for the finale now, not only for Susan, but for everyone on the lane. Will this bring Lynette and Tom back together? Will it make Gaby see the error of her selfish ways by what she is demanding of Carlos? Will it make Karen want to try harder to live as long as she can in the face of her terminal illness? We don't know, but one thing that it is for certain, this death WILL mean something to everyone on the lane.

RenatoB

[58]Mar 12, 2012
    MohammedHasan2 wrote:
    Well true, but its still strange to think that his life only became good or memorable, only when he met Susan, which was 13 years earlier. Before that, his life was not important, but then again, I guess its is just TV...

RenatoB wrote:

It was a good death, but I still prefer Rex's, cause at that time, he was a much more important character than Mike has been for years. I'm interested in seeing Teri's acting in the next episode, and if it can be as good as Marcia's when, Bree found out Rex died.

That all depends on the material she's given, I'm sure Teri could be as wonderful as Marcia was if the material was right.

As for your views on the death, I disagree, because Mike's importance has built up over the years, even if he didn't get much to do lately. The simple fact that he's been a regular for so long adds to that.

RenatoB

[59]Mar 12, 2012
    mully wrote:
    I loved this episode. I know a lot of people are on the fence about, or downright seem to hate Mike's death but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The death of Mike Delfino makes things so uncertain for the finale now, not only for Susan, but for everyone on the lane. Will this bring Lynette and Tom back together? Will it make Gaby see the error of her selfish ways by what she is demanding of Carlos? Will it make Karen want to try harder to live as long as she can in the face of her terminal illness? We don't know, but one thing that it is for certain, this death WILL mean something to everyone on the lane.

I can only hope so. However, Carlos annoyed me so much. I mean... what the hell? I get him. I get where he's coming from. But he's not being fair to his family.

Ok, maybe I'm not totally in the right for defending Gaby. Actually, I know I'm not. I'm just upset because I don't wanna see this storyline happening. And it's going as far as at least episode 19, possibly beyond. Damn. Damn, damn, damn. It's boring!

mrgravey

[60]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 2

This is a really small detail that is absolutely dwarfed by the sheer scale of this episode but... I loved that they followed up on Bree/Renee's newfound friendship, even if it was just a short scene.